Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Nature Boyz in North Beach (PHOTO)

One of Miami Beach's best kept secrets is tucked away inside Log Cabin Nursery on 81st street and Collins. Indeed, Nature Boyz, an open-air juice bar with a cool, Jamaican vibe, reminds me of some roadside Caribbean spots I've visited where it's the food and company that counts, not the glitz and glamour.

Clive, the affable owner, told me Nature Boyz could never work in South Beach and I have to admit, he's right. Nature Boyz has a few chairs, a couple of tables and a counter where Clive and his staff prepare delicious, wholesome, fresh non-dairy smoothies and juices. Near the sitting area, many boxes offer gorgeous exotic fruit and some vegetables for sale. With reggae playing softly in the air and the lush greenery of the nursery as a backdrop, the no-frills atmosphere is relaxing -- like walking into a friend's backyard!

Clive serves sugarcane juice (guarapo) and coconut juice straight from the nut. A variety of other fruit juices, all sweetened with sugar cane, are blended on the spot. My favorites are ginger-laced, which gives the fruit flavor a little extra bite. Yesterday, I tried the Caneberry, a strawberry-ginger mix, which was deliciously refreshing and light on a hot day.

Clive also cooks up a great jerk chicken and fish, served with yellow rice and sliced avocado. If you happen to arrive when the barbeques are at work, the scent is delicious! Chicken is served Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Fish only on Saturday and Sunday.

Yesterday, Clive prepared sugarcane chunks with lime juice, which I sampled. Sugarcane eating technique involves sucking the juice from the fibrous plant. If you've never tried sugarcane straight, you'll be surprised, it's not overly sweet like refined sugar, but it is much healthier.

When asked if he ever plans on returning to Jamaica, Clive responds: "When the time is right." I hope he won't be leaving soon because we need more authentic neighborhood spots like this on Miami Beach. As the Nature Boyz sign says: "Love is the answer." And so is a great laid-back spot, my friend!

Nature Boyz, which is named after Clive's favorite soccer team, Jamaica's Reggae Boyz, is open Wednesday through Sunday from 12 to 6. You'll find Clive inside Log Cabin Nursery, on the 81st street entrance.

Nature Boyz
    8128 Collins Ave
    Miami Beach, Fl 33141
    Attached Images Attached Images   

New User

Hi, I agree that Nature Boyz (Clive Juice) at the Log Cabin Nursery on 81st and Collins is a hidden gem and wonderful. Unfortunately is is in danger of becoming extinct. Many of you have been there and know that Clive has served wonderful juices, smoothies, jerk chicken and fish and other exotic fruits and candies to the community for the past five years in the southwest corner of the Log Cabin Nursery. He has created a peaceful gathering spot that is a magnet to many, especially on the weekends. Here's the problem, the lease the Log Cabin nursery has with the City of Miami Beach does not permit subletting and now he has been asked to leave the Log Cabin or run the risk of eviction. Why the City chose to enforce this clause now, five years after Clive set up shop and built his clientele, is unknown. What is clear is that the Commissioners can vote to amend the lease so to permit subletting. However, I do not think any Commissioner will take this on without hearing from the community, so I encourage any Nature Boyz lovers to write, call or email any or all of the Commissioners and let them know how valuable and unique Clive is to the community. For those who haven't been there, GO!! You won't be sorry. Not only will you be showing him your support, but you will LOVE the island flavor and the pleasant environment.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, mrbones, welcome to Miami Beach 411. Thank you for updating us about Nature Boyz.

Here is a link where you can find the contact info for the Miami Beach City Commissioners:

http://www.miamibeachfl.gov/newcity/...ll/elected.asp

I've never contacted a City Commissioner before. Can I just call them up and ask why they would evict Log Cabin?

Nature Boyz sounds like a cool place. I will take your suggestion and go.

How quickly can the City force the Log Cabin evict?

New User

Hi, You can call or email any of the commissioners and ask them any questions and let them know how you feel about Nature Boyz or anything. I do not know the eviction timeline but do not believe that eviction proceedings have even begun yet. Certainly, having to defend himself in an eviction proceeding would be incredibly burdensome to a hard working guy like Clive so my hope is that there will be a positive resolution prior to any of that happening.

Gus

mrbones, thanks for clarifying how to contact the Commissioners.

Any recommendations on what to have at Nature Boyz?

New User

fish and rice (certain days only) and any juice (i prefer pineapple) with some sweet natural sugar cane, cut and squeezed on premises. my kids love the ginger candies and o.j.

Hi Mrbones! Thank you for contributing here. I have emailed Vice Mayor Gongora, whom I met yesterday. He's traveling but his office recommended I still write to him. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope that Clive remains in business!

Gus

Thanks, mrbones, it sounds delicious!

Wow! I got a reply from Vice Mayor Gongora within minutes. He will be in out of the country but in the meantime he is putting me in touch with his legislative aide.

Here is another picture of Clive at work.

New User

I also think we need to fight to keep Clive and Log Cabin alive and kicking on the beach. I love going to Log Cabin to chat with Clive and drink a sugar cane and lime juice--delicious!

Log Cabin is an amazing place--with so much more character than Home Depot's garden department--and it provides an invaluable service to the community. As described in the city of Miami Beach's website, "since 1975, this not-for-profit 501-(c)3 organization works to provide a sheltered workplace for developmentally disabled adults, to provide them with marketable job skills, and to allow them to live more independent and personally satisfying lives."

Clive is an integral part of Log Cabin and Log Cabin is an integral part of our community. We need to do everything we can to make sure our community does not sacrifice its heart and soul to big time development!

Wow, Maria, is it really that easy to contact a commissioner? I've never been to Nature Boyz but like all your other recommendations, I can't wait to go!

I get so fired up when I hear about the City bothering people like Clive. I guess it's time for me to put my own list together of things I would like answers to, like why they think it is ok to give taxis parking tickets, and contact one of the commissioners.

Thank you Irving! Let's keep this story buzzing. I think it would be great to contact local TV as well.

Here are two more photos!

Michelle, the city of Miami Beach has a great service to start a line of inquiry called The Answer Center.

The commissioners are here to serve us, so yes, they can be contacted. When you call of course you speak to a staff member first, but they are very helpful!

As Gus pointed out in a different post, here is a the link to their page and here are Notices of Public Hearings.

There is also a Citizen's Academy that takes place every year. Commissioner Matti Bower told me it was totally worth doing as it helps one become familiar with local government.

New User

I have contacted three different Commissioners on this issue and they were all prompt and extremely attentive in their responses. While none of them seemed to want to take up the issue beyond just clarifying the lease facts, I was impressed they were immediately responsive. The next step is to convince them that is an important issue that deserves time and thought and perhaps action. Thanks.

Gus

Awesome, mrbones, let's keep up the fight. Did the commissioners give you any details about the length of the current lease?

New User

No but I will look over what they did send me and see if it says. Thanks.

Dear all ... Oops! :gulp: Michael Gongora is not a commissioner, but the city's Vice Mayor. I have corrected my previous posts.

Dear all, just wanted to let you know that I did get a lengthy reply from Vice Mayor Gongora's assistant yesterday, but I was taken ill and didn't have a chance to read the email.

Unfortunately I'm "out of the office" until Monday (without access to that email), but I will follow up with her and report back to you. I'm very impressed with the city's speedy response! More soon ...

I don't know if it's cool to copy and paste Vice-Mayor Gongora's email to me, so this is a recap:

Basically, it sounds like they don't personally want to boot Clive, but they are stuck with the terms of Log Cabin -- legally, that is. The other vendors who were booted are giving the city sh*t because Clive is still there.

I want to set up a commission agenda and start an appeals process for Clive. I think Vice Mayor Gongora may be open to this, but he's on vacation right now ... we'll need to be patient ... but things are moving!

Who wants to come to this meeting with me? Let's make it happen!

Also, I want to thank you mrbones for bringing this to my attention. I will do all I can to make sure due process is served.

Gus

Thanks for speaking with the Vice Mayor about this, Maria...I'll attend the meeting with you. It will be interesting to see how our local governmnet works. Hopefully, we can help Clive with the appeal.

Would anyone else like to join us?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast