Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default The Best Pizza in South Beach (Pictures)

On the advice of a miamibeach411 insider, Dave and I headed over to Alton Road late this afternoon to sample some more "sloppy Italian cooking". The scene of the crime: Master's Italian Restaurant & Gourmet Pizza (1720 Alton Rd., South Beach, 305-672-2763).

When we arrived around 5 pm, the place was rather empty. We manned our seats and gazed through the extensive menu -- which was as packed as a New York deli's. There were buffalo wings, skewers, salads, subs, burgers, health food, chicken, steaks, casseroles, pastas (baked, sauteed and stuffed), desserts, and.....pizza. It came in four sizes: personal (10"), medium (14"), large (16") and x-large (18"). With over 30 varieties of pizzas to choose from, it was hard to make a decision. There was Primavera, Venetian, Mediterranean, Hawaiian, Master's Meat, Chicken-Roni, Grilled Steak...even tuna.

After much consternation, Dave and I decided on the extra-large BBQ Chicken flavor, priced at $19.25. Additional toppings for the extra large were $2.75 a piece, and included cheeses, meats, veggies and seafood. We opted for raw onions to go on our barbecued chicken pie, and selected the "Garlic Butter Crust" dough, which, for the X-Large size, cost $2.25 extra.

To wash it down, we selected a couple of glasses of cabernet sauvignon. Unfortunately, though, the glasses here, though reasonably priced at $5.50 each, were of that slightly smallish size you occasionally run across in bargain restaurants, so it took three glasses a piece to do the damage we normally get with two.

The pizza maker gave us quite a show, as he twirled our pizza high over his head, and before you could say, "That's Italian", it was sitting before us, in all its enormous crusty perfection. This must have been the biggest pizza I ever laid eyes on. It took up nearly the whole table, and was melt in your mouth delicious.

Dessert? Fahgetabboutit! I had to bring the last piece home in a napkin for my pets...

The cost of this Italian extravaganza? While delicious, it wasn't that cheap. The bill came in at $59.95, before the tip.

However, if you limit yourself to canned soda and use one of the coupons at the bottom of their go menu (e.g., "Mother's Day Special, 20% off any order of $20.00 or more, dine-in only; 1 medium cheese pizza, 2 liter soda only $9.99 plus tax; 1 meat lasagna, salad garlic rolls, $8.99 plus tax; 15% off any order of $15 or more, dine-in or take-out, or Large 16" pizza [2 topping] for $13.99 plus tax"), which we regrettably didn't see until after the meal, you could have probably made your escape for a lot less....dough. They also offer a $5.99 lunch buffet, which was over by the time we arrived.

All major credit cards accepted. $10 minimum for credit card orders, $8 minimum for delivery. Delivery service to all of Miami Beach, Biscayne, Downtown and Brickell. Open 7 days, 9 am-1 am.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Hey Doug,
    I am going to have to disagree on that one. The king of all Pizza making on the Beach would have to be Pizza Rustica. I have tried a whole lot of pizza in my time, but this place tops them all. My absolute favorite is their veggie and Tomato Basil which is a lucious combination of fresh plum tomatoes, fresh basil and fresh mozzarella.They even make it easy for health concsious people to enjoy their choice of wheat or white crust. Here are the locations on the beach:

The Original
    863 Washington Avenue
    Miami Beach, Florida 33139

Cameo
    1447 Washington Avenue

Lincoln Rd. Mall
    667 Lincoln Road

I did save the best for last, they even have chocolate pizza for desert. This hot and cold combination comes topped with fresh strawberries and hazelnut chocolate (Nutella.... Yum, my favorite!) So Doug, you should try this place just in case you have not. It's the best pizza ever. Everyone who spends those "long evenings" out and about South Beach are married to Pizza Rustica. When the lights are blurry, you can't walk straight, much less drive, or even remember how many #'s you gave in one night, the one comfort is this place. Lol. I know I am not alone, I have seen lines in that place that pass the door at like 5:30am. Here are some pics for all of you to feast your eyes on.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hi Bianca,

I would've included Pizza Rustica on the list, but I once had a bad experience there.

My problem was with the service. While waiting in line, I was unsure if they accepted credit cards or not, and then I saw a credit card processor on the counter and figured they must. Finally, when it was my turn, the counter person didn't smile or say anything, she just glared at us. I told her our order, and took my card out to pay. She said they didn't take cards. Pointing to the machine on the counter, I said, "what's that for?" She replied that they accept credit cards only for take-out orders. Not having sufficient cash, we had to leave.

The fact that they're able to take credit cards, but decline to do so, coupled with the counter person's lack of enthusiasm convinced me that they're not very customer friendly. To me, the service is as important as the food, even if it's cheap...

Wow, I can understand why you wouldn't go back, Doug. That credit card thing makes NO SENSE.

On the other hand, if you can get past the service, they do make great pizza when you are hungry after clubbing or hungover. Any other time, you may find it too heavy and greasy.

That pizza at Master's looked YUM!!! Does anyone know if there are there any other pizza places in Miami Beach that still "toss" the pizza?

Doug, I totally agree with you. Who use cash nowadays?
    They have ATM machines in their locations, maybe they try to make extra money out of it. The fee charge for using them is $2, 50 the last time that I was there.

My favorite pizza can be found at Pizza Piola in Alton Rd.
    I would reccommend to have any of these pizzas with mojitos. They are really good. The only problem that I found the last time was that by mistake I ordered 2 bottle of waters and the waiter told me that he couldn't change the order because they have a kinda palm to take order while they are in the table and it goes directly to the kitchen. I didn't care that much because I was with a group and we ended it up drinking it. Otherwise, I would have to call the manager and have the server with bad face all my dinner.

Other than that, I love the place.

Hi Michelle and Mirna, I'm glad you can appreciate my position. When I go out, I always try not to be the petty customer type, because I've worked on the other side of the counter and know how annoying that can be....but if you've got the machine in plain sight and don't offer at least a minimum purchase for credit card option, it feels a little...unwelcoming.

The idea of mojitos with your pizza sounds great. I'll just have to make sure I get the order right!