Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Your best Key Lime pie in FL ?

Name:  key lime.JPG
Views: 2234
Size:  211.6 KB

After buying two pies in Key West amongst other places around the state, I think I've found the best pie.
    Unlike other experiences, also included with the pie, were a cup of lime jelly and cream. Total decadence to the hilt. I lathered my slices.

It had to be the best pie I evar !!!

The only thing to mar the experience was when I checked my cc statement online, Keylime Bistro in Captiva took the liberty to pad the bill a few bucks to total $40.

When I walked in, I was quoted 32.74 and was offered a 10% discount for walking in with a Mucky Duck T-Shirt. The other odd thing was a 10% gratuity was quoted in the original price. Couldn't figure that out, as I bought the pie over the counter per se. Anyways ..... like good lads, they wiped the slate clean when I complained a couple days later.

Having said that, the pie was so awesome, I'd buy another one but pay with cash.

Don"t recall the places in Key West where I bought Key Lime. Remember one of the places recommended had a giraffe in it's logo. Didn't come close Keylime Bristo.

Default Re: Your best Key Lime pie in FL ?

I'm still a fan of the frozen ones on a stick from Blonde Giraffe. I know it's not that "unknown," but still my favorite.

Ohhh, that looks so yummy. The best Key Lime Pie is at Pepe's in KW. Delicious homemade graham cracker crust and not too sweet and not too tart. Perfect!

I buy my pies from the bright green store next to the kite store by Mallory Sq... no idea what it is called. I buy them frozen just before we leave and by the time we have driven back to Miami, it is ready to eat!
    They also sell all things Key Lime, including drink mix, cookies and cakes. Last time we went we bought the bag of mix for Key Lime cupcakes. That was the last thing I ate sweet-wise before I went gluten free. It was delicious!!

My favorite pie is the one I make myself!

The fried key lime pie at Porky's in Marathon is pretty good, too.

I just spent 4 days in Key West but didn't try any.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    I just spent 4 days in Key West but didn't try any.
    That should be illegal!

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    That should be illegal!
    I know! But I did eat amazing tuna tartare at Morada Bay, delicious butter garlic mussels at The Rum Barrel, Oysters Rockefeller and a really good hot dog with a side of sautéed spinach at Island Dogs (two separate occasions), great pirate coleslaw, a pirate pig roast with curried potatoes and 1/2 a hamburger at this cool little waterfront tiki bar behind the Hampton Inn in Islamorada ... (two of these meals were shared with a cute fishing guide)

I don't think pie was on my mind, Christy :-)

I dont know December 6th my aunt made me a Key Lime pie since I was visiting some family. And I haveto admit it was one of the best pies I have had. I think this also comes down to preference. I love my Key Lime pies very tart my entire family does I know some people like them more sweet though...

With all this talk about pies, it's a shame there is no Marie Calender's east of TX.

I'd rather have that than a Trader Joe's.

http://www.mcpies.com/famous_pies/pie_menu.php

The best key lime pie I ever had was in Key West at Blue Heaven. It had the graham cracker crust, it was yellow (they're not supposed to be green...) and they use meringue -- not whipped cream -- for the topping. These are supposedly the things that you're supposed to look for in a quality key lime pie. All I know was that it was damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    The best key lime pie I ever had was in Key West at Blue Heaven. It had the graham cracker crust, it was yellow (they're not supposed to be green...) and they use meringue -- not whipped cream -- for the topping. These are supposedly the things that you're supposed to look for in a quality key lime pie. All I know was that it was damn good.

My KW pies had meringue. I only require that on a lemon chiffon.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    I know! But I did eat amazing tuna tartare at Morada Bay, delicious butter garlic mussels at The Rum Barrel, Oysters Rockefeller and a really good hot dog with a side of sautéed spinach at Island Dogs (two separate occasions), great pirate coleslaw, a pirate pig roast with curried potatoes and 1/2 a hamburger at this cool little waterfront tiki bar behind the Hampton Inn in Islamorada ... (two of these meals were shared with a cute fishing guide)

I don't think pie was on my mind, Christy :-)
    See, I'd rather have the pie than most of that. Oh ok, so the cute fishing guy was on your mind, I understand!

Doug, aside from the pie at Pepe's, blue Heaven is my #2 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I buy my pies from the bright green store next to the kite store by Mallory Sq... no idea what it is called. I buy them frozen just before we leave and by the time we have driven back to Miami, it is ready to eat!
    They also sell all things Key Lime, including drink mix, cookies and cakes. Last time we went we bought the bag of mix for Key Lime cupcakes. That was the last thing I ate sweet-wise before I went gluten free. It was delicious!!

An excellent way to end! Is it possible to make a gluten free pie?

Yes, you have to make the pie crust from different flour, or buy a GF pie crust from Whole Foods. I can make a great pie crust these days I have yet to make a key lime pie but maybe I should after reading all these posts.

There are two kinds of Key Lime pies ... one has meringue and the other whipped cream. The meringue style is also more of a gelatin-y style of pie as opposed to the thicker custard mix.

Key lime pie is ridiculously easy to make. The hardest part would be to make the meringue or whip the cream by hand (well you have to for the meringue) and then of course making the crust from scratch, which is basically graham crackers plus melted butter.

Mix in a blender:
    Key lime juice
    condensed milk
    egg yolks

Pour into your crust, bake for a few minutes then cool in fridge before serving.

If you make a meringue then you have to bake that over the pie.

That's it!

That does sound easy! I think the crust has to be really good. I remember the one at Pepe's was a graham cracker crust with a little cinnamon. I'm not really a fan of the meringue or whipped cream on top.

New User

I love key lime pies and cheesecake at Cheesecake Factory and in Nexxt Cafe at Lincoln rd.

Cheesecake Factory and NExxxt have the same menu. Pretty much the exact same food.