Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Best breakfast, lunch, & dinner places

Default Best breakfast, lunch, & dinner places

I will be in town for six days and I want to know where to eat. I love all types of food and I would love suggestions by local foodies. I am not impressed with any of the restaurants on the tourist strips. I want to know where the locals go. I am looking for all price ranges.

Default Re: Best breakfast, lunch, & dinner places

For breakfast I would suggest Big Pink, Paul's, and News Cafe.

For lunch Fresh on Fifth, Juice and Java, and Pascha's.

For dinner Planet Sushi, Icebox Cafe, and Spris.

Just avoid Ocean Dr. and you'll skip the touristy places-although News Cafe is on Ocean. Lots of locals eat on Lincoln Rd.

I think Lime on Alton also caters to locals, well anything on Alton really. Pizza Rustica has some of the best pizza you'll find on the beach.

Many locals frequent the bars, The Deuce, Ted's, Waxy's, Irish Playwright, Zeke's and The Abbey.

The other day I tried 8 Oz. Burger on Alton, and I....wasn't impressed.

If you cross over to the mainland, one of my favorite restaurants is Soyka, around Biscayne and 50th St.

Thanks so much! I am looking forward to my visit in two days.

STK - good but expensive, Prime 112 great but expensive.

See my site which is the same name as my signature here for other restaurants which tend not to be on South Beach (Nobu is listed at the Shore Club - nice but expensive.).

Enjoy Miami!

LoveMiamiBlog

Good call Mario! IndianBarbie, the skinny burrito at LIME is amazing and the whole wheat caprese slice at Pizza Rustica is a must. Both of these places would be great for a casual lunch outside, and Pizza Rustica delivers. My one insider tip is that many SOBE restaurants deliver, and it's much more cost effective to opt for that other than room service. I would bookmark the following menus:

Giardino's salads, Big Pink, Jerry's Deli, Juice and Java, Planet Sushi, Pascha's just to name a few..

From my small sampling

Pricey but good - Zuma(brickell), Prime112(SoBe)

Big Pink (SoBe), Jerry's Deli(SoBe), La Sandwicherie(brickell/Sobe), Perricones(brickell), Rosinella's(Sobe and Brickell), Morgan's (Wynwood, SoBe), Rosa Mexicana is a staple...good guac.

I know a few others but have totally forgotten the names...will have to ask my friends
    Christy likes this.

Thank you for all your suggestions! Went to Barton G last Wed night for dinner - amazing! Had the lobster and gruyere poptarts, grouper, and rose,champagne, & nitrogen infused Martini!
    Christy likes this.

My favorite spot for breakfast is the 11th Street diner (1065 Washington Ave, Miami Beach). For lunch, I like Cafe Charlotte (1497 Washington Ave., Miami Beach), a homestyle Argentine restaurant, and dinner....people watching at an outside seat at the Van Dyke Cafe on Lincoln Road.

Best breakfast place is my kitchen I can whip up some deliciousness on a daily basis.
    Mario likes this.

I like Doug's suggestions of 11th Street Diner for breakfast and Cafe Charlotte for lunch. You'll still get some tourists, as they're in South Beach.

"Off the beaten path" places that definitely don't get many tourists would include:

Las Culebrinas (Cuban) in Coral Gables. I think they also have a Coconut Grove location.

Havana Harry's in Coral Gables.

Rincon Argentino (Argentine Steak and Italian) in Coral Gables.

Boater's Grill at No Name Harbor on Key Biscayne.

Sarussi's in Little Havana. They have a unique Cuban sandwich with an Italian twist. Carlos tipped me off to this pace a couple years ago.

Michael's Genuine ( a bit pricey) up in the Design District. Might get some tourists.

Farther away, but worth a nice drive ...

The Fish House at mile 102.3 in Key Largo. Not fancy, but one of the best seafood places in South FL or the Keys.

Blue Heaven in Key West. (a little pricey). I thought it was "okay", but a lot of people absolutely swear by this place. Fair warning .... You will run into many tourists at this resatuarant.

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 03-29-2012 at 01:31 AM.
    Gus and Christy like this.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hey Glenn

Thanks for keeping this topic alive. Those are great places you listed. I want to try the Fish House. It's not that far from my house. Next time you visit, if you check it out, we'd love to hang out.

Have you tried Charlotte's Bakery that Doug mentioned? The area is kinda of cruddy, but the bakery is delicious. You can get a homemade empanada and a Cuban coffee for less than $5. The Argentine chicken empanadas are my favorite. If you like spicy food, ask for the homemade hot sauce. The keep the hot sauce hidden behind the counter and only give it out if you ask.

Gus told me to check out Blue Heaven and I loved it. Sat at the bar and had great service and food

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Hey Glenn

Thanks for keeping this topic alive. Those are great places you listed. I want to try the Fish House. It's not that far from my house. Next time you visit, if you check it out, we'd love to hang out.

Have you tried Charlotte's Bakery that Doug mentioned? The area is kinda of cruddy, but the bakery is delicious. You can get a homemade empanada and a Cuban coffee for less than $5. The Argentine chicken empanadas are my favorite. If you like spicy food, ask for the homemade hot sauce. The keep the hot sauce hidden behind the counter and only give it out if you ask.

Hi Gus -

Janet and I have been to the Charlotte Cafe a couple times, which is next door to the Charlotte Bakery. The time we tried to go to the bakery, they were just closing (they close pretty early), and they only had a few items left over, so we didn't get anything. We'll try going there again. It's on our "to do" list.

You read our minds on heading down to the Fish House in Key Largo. We were already thinkng of heading down there, and were going to see if anyone wanted to come along. We'll be in South Beach April 14-22, and thinking of heading to the Fish House some time mid-week, (April 16-20). We'll have a car, and can pick you up on the way down. Or, we can meet there. Whatever works for you and Michelle.

Glenn and Janet

Glenn,

If you're in Key West you have to go to Pepe's! Gus, Michelle, and I had lunch there and I highly recommend it. It's kind of a hole in the wall but really charming and tons of celeb photos on the wall. Absolutely amazing Key Lime Pie. I miss Key West!

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    Glenn,

If you're in Key West you have to go to Pepe's! Gus, Michelle, and I had lunch there and I highly recommend it. It's kind of a hole in the wall but really charming and tons of celeb photos on the wall. Absolutely amazing Key Lime Pie. I miss Key West!

I don't know if we'll go to Key West on this trip, but we'll keep Pepe's in mind.

We might save Key West for the fall. Thinking about going to Fantsasy Fest in KW in late October, but not sure yet. Has anyone here gone to that? We've been to some crazy-ass parties, but not that one.

There is also the KW boat races the following week. Great spectator event and fun parties. Might be a "two-fer" trip for us.

Much thanks for the Pepe's tip.

Glenn

Gus

Glenn, that sounds great. Anytime works well for us.

After checking out the Fish House website, it doesn't look like there is much of a view, but If we time it right, we might see a nice sunset on the way down.

Let's meet at my house and drive down together.

If you have a little bit of time and some $$$ Truluck's has a very good lunch deal called the power lunch it is reasonably priced and delicious and it fills me up and I'm a big guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Glenn, that sounds great. Anytime works well for us.

After checking out the Fish House website, it doesn't look like there is much of a view, but If we time it right, we might see a nice sunset on the way down.

Let's meet at my house and drive down together.

Gus -

Sounds good. You are correct that there is no water view there. For a water view option, 18 miles farther down the road is the "World Famous Tiki Bar" in Islamorada, at mile 84. We can stop there before or after the Fish House, if you'd like. We're flexible.

Glenn

Gus

Stopping before dinner sounds totally fun. Are you also OK with going a little further down to Robbie's Marina? It's about 15 minutes south of the Tiki Bar. Their claim-to-fame is you can hand feed big tarpon fish at the dock

http://youtu.be/3o0N8tjLQF8#t=50s

Sorry for veering this discussion off to boat marinas and giant fish. We promise to report back about the restaurants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast