Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Restaurant advise

my wife and i come to south beach about once a year for a long weekend. we are beach people and spend all day on the beach. we love good food, and are from a big city with tons of great restaurants. when we come to sobe, we are more into the environment than the food. we have 3 nights this trip. we love the rest. in the raleigh hotel and are going to return there for one meal. we don't like really crowded shoved together tables, and since we are at the beach, we want open air. we were thinking Wish one night, and Pearl at Nikki Beach. are those okay? or are there better choices? We'd also like to do some hanging out and people watching after (during, possibly) dinner. any suggestions? i'm fairly lame, but my wife can get us past most lines (she even got us into a private party at Mango's last time we were there, just by us walking by and they called us in). we are going to be there on weds - sat of next week. thanks.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, richie#89, welcome to MiamiBeach411.

Which big city are you from?

Personally, I would choose Nemo over Wish.

Also, if you're into environment over food, Baron G. and China Grill are all about the dining experience and have a very hip, trendy scene. Plus, the food at both of the restaurants is very good. The only downside about Barton G. is, it's a popular restaurant and on a busy night the tables can feel close together.

"and since we are at the beach, we want open air."
    Nemo and Barton G. both have outside dining areas.

I don't hear a peep about Pearl anymore, the last thing I heard about that place was somebody told me they saw the inside of the restaurant during the day, and the white booths looked black and dirty in the daylight.

Those are my suggestions...hope they help!

My husband and I and another couple went to Pearl this August. We liked it. Thought the food and drinks, and service were good. We were told they had a "new chef" and he liked his "new menu" so he didn't offer any specials. I liked that we could have sushi (pretty good), and then have regular dinners too. You can check out their food & drink menu on line. Didn't see any problem with cleanliness, but we did go at night. The manager, Jason, was great to us. Didn't love the DJ on Sunday, but that's more of a personal preference. I'll give it a very good overall, but I'm sure there are better places to eat in Miami Beach too.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hey, Jenn. Thanks for the update. I forgot you had ate there. Was that the restaurant where you met the super cool waitress?

One more question: were there many other people having dinner? I've always thought of Pearl as more of a club than a restaurant, I'd like to find out I'm wrong about that.

New User

thanks for responding, guys. our big city is atlanta. i was also wondering about Pearl being a restaurant / nightclub. hopefully more rest. than club, though. we have sushi rest. here that morphe into nightclubs (lounges) at about midnight and were guessing that's what's going on there. gus, what's wrong with Wish? the pix of the place look outstanding, but i don't here anything that good about the place. we like the idea of eating, then going to the rooftop for dessert and after-dinner drinks. the dining area looks very tropical (which we want!). most of the stuff in midtown ATL are very trendy, and we even have a BED, so we're looking for something different for our trip to sobe. the dining at Pearl is inside, isn't it? but afterwards we can hang out outside, right? the pix of Pearl look like the stuff in atlanta, but my wife loves sushi and wanted that one night. thanks again! we love your city! we used to take an annual trip to the caribbean, but for about the last 5 years we've replaced it with sobe.

Pearl is definitely more of a club than a restaurant. There weren't many people having dinner at all. Our concierge at the Loews sent us there. Said Nikki Beach was the place to go on Sunday - that we should go to Pearl. The dinner waitress was nice, the club waitress was fun. Love their outfits - orange mini dresses with high white boots. Nikki Beach Midtown in NYC is the same. We've been there for dinner - not a big crowd, but at club time was full.
    BTW - If you're not under 25, I don't suggest Nikki Beach. We walked down after dinner, went to 2 of the bars - one was out of vodka, one out of 7 up, one bartender a nasty.... We were all dressed up and the kids down there were in shorts and bathing suits and completely smashed - looked like Spring Break. My husband figured he'd end up brawling down there and we quickly went back upstairs to Pearl. That's where I met the Take Home Chef.