Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Living Large at Barton G (Pictures)

It's next to impossible to try to define Barton G or his restaurant without using the words "over the top". The local restauranteur, well-known for his lavish events as well as his opulent dining establishment at 1427 West Avenue in South Beach, recently won the City Link magazine award for best food presentation. Last night, when the staff of miamibeach411.com stopped in for dinner, we were dazzled not only by the fine food, ambience and service, but also by the imaginative ways our food came. First, there were the lobster pop-tarts, which are served in a vintage toaster.... then there was the "Route 66" chopped steak, which was served on a platter featuring the famous highway road sign. Nitro-tinis, a house specialty, were topped with liquid nitrogen, which gave them a misty plume resembling a concoction from a mad scientist's laboratory (also available with assorted other drinks). For dessert, there was the "Stairway to Heaven": a stack of chocolate cupcakes filled with a peanut butter filling and garnished with nutter-butter-peanut cookies and M&M's that could've come straight out Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat...As if that wasn't enough, there were also beef short ribs which were served on little barbecue grills and of course, the famous Barton G Mac & Cheese, which with about five different cheeses makes about the cheesiest meal you could imagine.

Meanwhile, Suzy's son Nicolas entertained himself with a writhing bionic grouper. Don't ask me where it came from...

After last night, I've sworn off any food for at least a week! A hearty thanks goes out to Gus and Michelle for inviting us along to this baccanalian feast!

Here are a few photos of the unforgettable concoctions!
    Attached Images Attached Images                

Suzanne C

How can I describe how absolutely delicious everything was without sounding like I'm gloating. For starters, I had a Nitro-tini, a Sin-Sation to be exact. On paper, it was described as champagne and vanilla vodka, but what came was a painted martini glass with hanging orchids and what looked like a ball of ice cream...our server Carlos told me it was actually a frozen ball of vanilla vodka which would not only keep my drink cool but would also make the drink progressively stronger as the ball melted.

WHAT?!?!?!
    Listen, it was that good and more! But so was Michelle's Lemon Drop Martini which had a hint of something we couldn't quite figure out.

The Lobster Pop Tarts = :exclaim:
    Ribs = :exclaim:
    Tuna = :exclaim:
    Shrimp Pasta = :exclaim:
    Macs-n-Cheese = LOVE

And Michelle, you were right: at the ripe age of 4, the kid has now had the best macs-n-cheese ever. Incidentally, my macs-n-cheese will no longer rock. :(

Honestly, 'A for presentation' doesn't even come close. Barton G MOST DEFINITELY deserves the City Link accolades! The tiny details were over the top and clearly, these people take pride in their work. You can't make something that pretty, that delicious and not enjoy it!
    Carlos, our server, was a gem. Nick is pretty well behaved- for a four year old, but even still he gets jittery. Carlos attended to Nick EVERY time he called out to him, which was pretty often. He brought Nick an assortment of different sized/colored straws to play with when Nick volunteered that he liked straws. He served him. He interacted with him- heck, he even asked if I wanted him to take Nick for a walk while we ate.
    Like I said, when you take pride in your job it shows.

And the Pookie Grouper, as he was appropriately named, came from an adjacent table. Nick was hitting on the girl behind us and she gave him her fish...I don't call him the Playground Pimp for nothing you know. Just ask Erika...

I think we'll have to try Barton G when we're down next weekend! It is on my list. It's pretty sad that I have a list of about 12 restaurants that I want to go to and only 3 nights to actually eat dinner.
    It looks and sounds like you guys had an amazing time and ate some incredible food.... All for your job and for us? ;0

Suzanne C

YOU MUST GO JENN!

They were just featured on Good Morning America and rightfully so!

I can't thank Gus & Michelle enough for having Nick & I there. It was delicious but Doug was right Jenn. I wanted to try everything- ate so much that I felt like an Oompah Loompah waddling about...

:-P

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

We had such a woderful time. Let's pick another restaurant and all go out again soon.

Here's one more picture of the appetizers...

Gus

But it was the dessert that got us really excited...

We'll HAVE to go then! Everything looks amazing!
    Suzy, Nick is adorable. He also looks like he ate a ton.

Jenn, I would recommend bringing some friends. Gus and I ate there once by oursleves and didn't have nearly as much fun as we did with at least one other couple.

I had the such a wonderful time! We tried a lot of different menu items and they were all delicious.

The mac n cheese is a MUST! The ribs were supremely yummy, fried chicken was awesome the next day, and the white peach salad was refreshing after dinner - before dessert.

I had a cupcake (just as good as I remember), and I also tried the apple cobbler - YUMO. I don't think there is better cobbler anywhere in the world. :-P

It is not just that the food was so good. As Suzy mentioned, Carlos was unbelieveable. I've never ever seen a 4-year-old entertained as long as he was (over 3 hours). The atmosphere is like a food lovers dream come true. And the company...that was the icing on the cupcake :-)

So we're going Saturday!
    We're coming down with another couple, so they'll come too. My husband said it was hard to get the reservation (and he doesn't usually have a hard time with things like this).
    I'm very excited!

If you ever have a hard time getting a reservation at a place that we recommend on the site, just PM us. We will help you get the reservation. :-)

Thanks! He said they were really booked. But we got a pretty good time.

Gus

Jenn, I emailed the restaurant and told them you were coming.

Hope you all have a great time!

Now, I am officially jealous. This is the first time that I wish I were there. I heard before how good Barton G. was, but this time I can see what I am missing.

The table looks like a amusement park, great decoration and I love the toaster on the table.

Now my question is : How expensive this restaurant is from 1 to 10?

Great Pictures!!

Gus

Mirna, the only thing missing from the dinner was you.

Regarding how expensive it is, on a scale from 1 to 10, Barton G. is a 10, but well worth it.

Amusement parks aint' cheap.

Suzanne C

Well her and Mattie...

:kiss:

We will go together, soon. I can't keep missing the experience of going to Barton G. I also heard that their catering service is very good.

I still remember the VIP party pictures that you guys went to a few months ago.

When I look at the pictures the thought that comes to mind

Seussical

(of and relating to the whimsical style and humor of the late great doctor)