Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Cafe Papillon: A Little Bit of France on Lincoln Road (Pictures)

Dave's 30th birthday is coming up this Saturday, so we hit Lincoln Road with the Visa Card this evening and tried not to do the math.

We ended up at the Cafe Papillon (530 Lincoln Road, Miami Beach, FL 33139), and enjoyed a sumptuous meal al fresco (Italian for "in the bushes").

Our waiter, Manuel, was very friendly and dutiful, bringing us two helpings of bread and olive oil, and the entire experience was very satisfying.

Here's the breakdown:

Appetizers:

Dave had the shrimp cocktail -- jumbo sized shrimp, and a tasty sauce, served in a glass, with lemon ($13.50)

I had the Escargot Cassolete -- a traditional escargot served in garlic butter sauce -- $14.50

For the main course:

I had the Tuna Steak, very rare, served in strips with a cake of hot rice and sauteed veggies to the side -- very tasty -- $22.50

Dave had the Nicoise Salad -- really large and fresh -- $14.50

I couldn't stay away from the Tarte tatin for dessert -- a delicious apple tart, with ice cream and whipped cream beside it -- $8.50

Service (18%) was pre-included on the bill, and I threw in 2 extra bucks to make it a 20% tip since the waiter was so nice.

With tax and tip (including my own), the bill came to $134.71.

Not an every day thing, but it's not every day that Dave turns 30!
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Thanks for letting us share Dave's Birthday dinner. Please give him my best.

Doug, thanks for sharing and tell Dave I said "Happy Birthday!". 30 sure is a milestone. The dinner sounded delicious.

I swear we are on the same wave length. On Saturday night, I said to Gus, "hey, let's walk over to Cafe Papillon to see how much the dinner special is now." We didn't walk over there and I see the sign in the background of one of the pics. It is now $59.95. Not so many years ago, the same special was $29.95. Talk about inflation!! Gone are the days of "affordable dining" on Lincoln Rd. That is, unless you're in the mood for Pizza Rustica. :)

That's really a coincidence that you were thinking of going there, too, Michelle! I noticed they had the dinner special posted after we ordered! But the tuna and the escargot were worth spending a little extra. Oh, another thing they're offering: a free glass of (house) wine with your meal. We ended up ordering a bottle of a Chilean Cabernet (which I forgot to include above -- it was $31).

Thanks for sharing Doug. The food is making me hungry right now. Tell Dave I said"Happy Birthday."

Thanks, Miami-Dade. I'll be sure to tell him!

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Miami- Dade, are you sure you want to go? They've got snails on the menu.

Come to think of it, Papillon may be the only restaurant on the beach that serves escargot.

Does anyone remember this scene from "The Jerk" staring Steve Martin:

Marie, now just stay calm. Stay calm. Don't look down, don't look down! Look up! Just keep your eyes up and keep them that way, o.k.! Waiter there are snails on her plate. Now get them out of here before she sees them! Look away, just look away, keep your eyes that way! You would think that in a fancy restaurant at these prices you could keep the snails off the food!

Hi Gus, it may be gross, but if I ever have to live in the wild, I'm set.

I think A La Folie on Espanola Way also serves escargot, if memory serves....

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Miami- Dade, are you sure you want to go? They've got snails on the menu.
    /quote]
    No worry Gus I have have no intention of eating snails.

I went by Cafe Papillon about 6:30 tonight to check the place out and while checking out the menu several people came up to check out the menu also and everyone of them decided to stay.I would have ordered the steak and fries but I just came from the 11th Street Diner.The 11th Diner prices are starting to get like Lincoln Road prices.

Overall I liked what I saw at Cafe Papillon and everybody there seemed nice.

Doug always seems to come up with Winners.