Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer
  • 1 Post By GandJ
  • 1 Post By Blackford Oakes

Thread: I want a Cuban Sandwich.

Default I want a Cuban Sandwich.

...ok, that was a tease, After ample sampling, the best I had was atany Colombia Restaurant on the Gulf Coast or even in Celebration,Fl., They include salami.... . If you want to better that, Porto's in Glendale,CA is light years away from anything in Little Havana- that includes pastries too........ That said, a recent LA institution has landed in SoBe and is toying with a" Cuban Burger" for kicks and to flex their ambidexterity ........ Umami it seems is open for business and decided to F around the Cuban staple. Shake Shack must ne worried to death, but not a humble enterprise iyn Doral working a different segment. This burger looks soooo awesome, but I'll opt for their TRUFFLE ROYALE n my next visit, ( please excuse the lack of paragraphs. I'm dealing with a new computer and hence Windows8."
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 05-12-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Default Re: I want a Cuban Sandwich .........

Ok, first off you gotta try the Cuban Sandwich on a Stick at De Rodriguez Cuba. I didn't eat it but my dinner companion said it was ridic.

pic.twitter.com/LGBcYXF8oJ

Secondly, Umami and Shake Shack are kinda after different markets. Umami is more along the line of a B&B, Shake Shack is more fast-foody. I don't care for either. I have a picture of the burger that won't upload here, but their take on the Cuban sandwich is a pork patty topped with pork belly, smoked ham and shaved prosciutto with American cheese, butter pickles and pineapple mojo mustard. Soooo....you're saying Cubans like pork?

Wow. Heart attack on a plate.

Salami on Cuban Sandwich... Idk I would probably enjoy it more if they change the name cause when I hear Cuban Sandwich I have a specific recipe in mind. And as far as Cuban Fritas go nothing beats the home made Cuban Burgers.

Salami on Cuban sandwiches seems to be a thing that is done closer to the old Tampa/Ybor City Cuban community. I had heard this was started because of an Italian influence in the area. I like the standard Miami Cubano sandwich. Roast pork, ham, swiss cheese, dill pickle, and mustard on Cuban bread ... pressed and grilled on the plancha. If there are any alterations off the standard Cubano sandwich, the restaurant should give fair warning. At one place, I had to send one back that came with mayo (Yuck!). There was no mention of mayo in the description. -- Glenn

I'm with the salami faction but I'm cool either way.

Glenn just educated me how the salami found it way inside the sandwich. Columbia has been my favorite Cuban Sandwich so far.They are Gulf Coast based and includes salami.

The sandwich on the stick looks interesting. Reminds me of a See's sucker. I"ll want to try it one day.

After Carlos took me to a place for a bite: I've retired from eating Fritas.

Quote Originally Posted by GandJ View Post
    . At one place, I had to send one back that came with mayo (Yuck!). There was no mention of mayo in the description. -- Glenn
    That's usually grounds for me to toss a sandwich across the room.
    GandJ likes this.

Default Re: I want a Cuban Sandwich.

The salami questions seems polemic. I'll just be coy as the day I enjoyed a Pisco Sour on Avenida Charles Higgens and keep my mouth shut. We've had Pisco Wars. No need for a Salami War either..... though I don't mind if you throw the S on. The question I have though is: Is the Cuban Sandwich indigenous to Cuba ? In other words; was it pre AM/LASH / Bay of Pigs ? The influx of Cubans in Tampa predates Castro and sharks.

In regards to Mayo...it's welcomed on any sandwich unless you place weighted brick over it to flatten it over a heated grill. Mayo loses properties in heat and invites shit that makes you sick. ........ Is it me, or isn't the 2nd half of the sandwich better at 7AM with a CC @ breakfast ?...... On Thursday, after the Morse Museum, we'll hit up Mima's or Black Bean Deli. Salamiless Cubans served. Guess it depends who has the shortest line.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 05-14-2013 at 05:20 PM.

I don't like salami at all, but if it came on my Cubano sandwich, it's not a deal breaker, because I can easily pull off the pieces of salami, and toss them. No harm, except a waste of some salami. However, if it comes with mayo, I'm doing the Meltzer sandwich toss. Slimy mayo gets everywhere, and ruins the whole sandwich. It can't be removed. The sandwich is officially gross-ified. (yeah, that's now a word.)
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

New User

Looks amazing!

Yesterday I treated cousins visiting from Costa Rica to the Dali Picasso Exhibit at The Dali in St. Pete. We made an obligatory stop at Columbia in Ybor City for some Cubans.

As the story goes, this sandwich was invented in the tobacco shops. It was a factory co-op. The Cubans provided the pork, the Spanish ham, Sicilians Salami and the Germans cheese.

My cousins had it with a Galician soup in honor of our Spanish roots. I played the black bean soup. The sandwich was great however it was the first I had not pressed at a Columbia Restaurant. I prefer it ironed out. Plantain chips & Lettuce and tomato was served on the side. We washed it down with three pitchers of Sangria. We left content. Name:  cuban.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  42.1 KBName:  cuban2.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  23.4 KB
    Jess likes this.