Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Wynwood

Default Wynwood

LOVE this area...one of my best nights in Miami....started out with a couple of beers in the back of Wood Tavern. Gorgeous area, they were playing great classic rock, $3 beer, and people very cool...normally do not like hipsters (definitely not SoCal hipsters) but the people here were very cool and I blended in even though I was in a suit coming from work.

Crossed the street and had a great meal at Wynwood Bar & Kitchen. Very good...chips with guacamole, short ribs, skirt steak skewer and shrimp tacos all excellent....sat out back surrounded by beautiful painted walls and manicured lawn. Great time.

Followed that up with espresso at Panther and then checked out Social Lubrication lounge which was also very cool.

Great job in this area, everything blends in nice and is not pre-fabricated, and kind of reminds me of a cross link between The Pearl District in Portland and Mission District in SF--though on a much smaller scale...note to developers: Keep the USA out of Wynwood.

If I lived here I would frequent this area at least 2-3x each month...nice change of pace from SoBe and much more genuine.

Default Re: Wynwood

What do you mean "keep the USA out?" Um, the USA is pretty much nonexistent in Brickell and it SUCKS. I'd say I actually see more Americans and American influence in Wynwood than most other parts of Miami. So, yeah, Not sure where you're going with that one.

USA as in Starbucks, Subway, McDonalds, Gap, Pizza Hut, Chief Auto Parts, Panera Bread, Chipotle, Nordstroms, Dunkin Donuts, Baskin Robbins, Walgreens, Ace Hardware, Red Lobster, Cheesecake Factory, Landrys, Office Depot, etc etc etc etc
    Last edited by elchevere; 05-22-2014 at 02:53 PM.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Ahhhh....chains. Ok I get it.

Borrowed that from Ocean Beach--hippie beach town near me that gave into Starbucks.

Could hit Design/midtown tonite

rk

In the Design District, try Harry's, best pizza in Miami (disclaimer: neopolitan style).

Harry's?? REALLY????

Sorry but I honestly think that might be one of the most overrated restaurants in Miami. What they're doing at Andiamo flat out tastes better. And if you want Neapolitan style, Stanzione 87 blows them out of the water. For authentic Italian you don't beat Giotto or La Locanda. Harry's is just sort of Michael Schwartz saying "Hey! I'm Michael Schwartz and I'm making Pizza! You're going to love it!!!" It seems to be a favorite of the foodie lemmings.

I never drank the MS kool-aid. Geniune is ok. Cypress Room is flat out boring. Harry's is good, but if I want pizza there's 10 places I can tell you are better. He may be the most overrated chef I've seen. Nothing all that original or impressive. He was just first.
    Blackford Oakes likes this.

rk

Admittedly pizza is a personal preference, like most other foods, but yes, REALLY!!!! I do consider Harry's better than the places you mentioned (other than Stanzione, which I have yet to try). I like La Locanda a fair bit, and even recommend it, though their pizza is a bit inconsistent. Giotto is mediocre on a good day. If you can list any other places from your 10 best I am interested as I am always looking for a good pizza.
    Last edited by rk; 05-25-2014 at 02:48 PM. Reason: typo

Believe I mentioned somewhere I'm not gung-ho on pizza.

That said, I take our beloved Fred Garvin's advise to heart...and he was emphatic about it.

Gino's East off Mag Mile is now my tradition every other year before I cross Indiana corn fields wayward to South Bend.

Name:  pizza.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  82.2 KB

Wynwood is nothing to write home about. It's a locals valiant effort to mimic the lack of a philanthropy participation in Miami the likes of a Eli Broad or please anyone else. STEP UP.

Reality in Wynwood becomes a bitch when Art Basel comes to town and local artists and Couch hiss at getting over-looked and want to move to LA.

That hood is close to me and always a worthy trip to get a Panini at Jimmy'Z. Cat face murals in Slverlake/LA River over rule the "commercial" graffiti murals.

Last interest I had in that area is when Rock of Ages tried to mimic the Sunset Strip... though Gazzari's bit and other was in Overtown.

I really like Wynwood as well.
    I was there for the first time 2 weeks ago, and I wish I had been there before.
    Had my best night out for a long time, and there were plenty of interesting down to earth people to talk to, compared to SoBe.
    elchevere likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    Admittedly pizza is a personal preference, like most other foods, but yes, REALLY!!!! I do consider Harry's better than the places you mentioned (other than Stanzione, which I have yet to try). I like La Locanda a fair bit, and even recommend it, though their pizza is a bit inconsistent. Giotto is mediocre on a good day. If you can list any other places from your 10 best I am interested as I am always looking for a good pizza.
    Hmm...I guess you're not a fan of the Italian-style pizza. Which is fine. But most Italians I know swear by Giotto and Locanda. Harry's is nothing like that. More of Michael Schwartz trying too hard.

Andiamo on Biscayne and 55th is my favorite, but I've actually gotten into it with chefs over that place. They seem to not like it. Anthony's Coal fired is great, but, ya know, a chain. Here's the list I did for Thrillist, which got some debate going....

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/miami/best-pizza-in-miami

rk

OK, thanks for the list. Interesting that Harry's made your top-8 pizza list. I do like Italian-style pizza, just not mediocre Italian. Locanda is OK, just not as good as Harry's, which is Italian style. Anthony's is not really Italian-style, more NY or New England style.

rk

If you like Anthony's you will probably also like Nick's New Haven in Boca.

We'd like to see the street art by day..how far from South Beach, please? What not to miss? Any great places for coffee? Lunch? What else is nearby...can't wait..love street art...

It's about 15 minutes in the car. Are you driving? It's just over the 195 bridge in to midtown and then left. Google map Wynwood walls and you will find it.

Panther Coffee is the quintissential coffee shop in Wynwood, so be sure to stop there. If you wanna walk a little you can hit up Miam that has Eternity Coffee Roasters coffee, which is much better but off the beaten path a little.

For food, Wynwood Kitchen and Bar is your spot. Have the ropa vieja empanadas, they're one of my fave food items in Miami and you can eat outside among the Wynwood Walls. R House is good too, though I'm not sure if they're open during the day. And Pancho Taco out back of Wood Tavern is also some great street tacos.

I think Matt named all of Wynwood. There' s not actually much there lol.

rk

There is also Zak the Baker: http://zakthebaker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I think Matt named all of Wynwood. There' s not actually much there lol.
    Pride & Joy was sadly overrated. I went there twice and not impressed. Can't sit inside because its too smoky.

Sparky's downtown is one of the best I've had in Miami (Smoked Fried Chicken!) and Bulldog in N. Miami is excellent as well (Great fries).

I've been to TSL (Social Lubricant) and make sure park nearby. Extremely sketchy nearby with homeless living on the street, under trucks, etc. Girls I was with were scared so we walked them to the car & back.

Jimmy Z is a cool little spot that is going chain. Its in the only real loft building in Wynwood (Cynergi) on the lobby level.

Everyone wants to come to Wynwood now and they are building their first new residential building in years which sold out quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast