Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Blackford Oakes
  • 1 Post By Blackford Oakes

Thread: Jerry's Deli South Beach RIP

Default Jerry's Deli South Beach RIP

Very surprised Jerry's Deli closed last weekend. I'm curious to learn of reasons why.

I was a big fan of original location over the hill from where I lived. The SB location was ok and I never noticed the lack of patronage the few times I hit it up.

So that begs the question: Who's the top deli in the 305 ?
    Gus likes this.

Default Re: Jerry's Deli South Beach RIP

Ok ... apparently lease was up and there was a higher bid by Senor Frogs.

It'll be interesting to see if this works. It's a fun concept for a beach resort town in Mexico.

The Orlando location is about three years old didn't tickle me. At least it looks like we'll have another Mexican food option at the beach but a Art Deco facade.
    Jess likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    Very surprised Jerry's Deli closed last weekend. I'm curious to learn of reasons why.

I was a big fan of original location over the hill from where I lived. The SB location was ok and I never noticed the lack of patronage the few times I hit it up.

So that begs the question: Who's the top deli in the 305 ?
    Bad service
    Menu too big
    bad management
    bad employees
    gross practices (took half my sandwich off my plate to re-sell to another guest)

yes, the rent was probably high but when you have all of the above, its only a matter of time...

Despite their great sandwiches, I say good riddance due to the horrific management and bad service!

You are all up on the gossip Joe!

Senor Frogs?! Holy crap. We are going to be Daytona before you know it.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Senior Frogs is coming back to the beach? I wonder if it's the same owners as the old Senor Frogs that was on Collins and in Coconut Grove?

Frogs was cool! The drinks were cheap and they didn't gouge with an expensive cover charge at the door. I hope they bring the live rock music they used to have on Monday nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Senior Frogs is coming back to the beach? I wonder if it's the same owners as the old Senor Frogs that was on Collins and in Coconut Grove?

Frogs was cool! The drinks were cheap and they didn't gouge with an expensive cover charge at the door. I hope they bring the live rock music they used to have on Monday nights.
    Gus, I found Frogs to be expensive in Orlando and the food quality lacks. You're paying for the ambiance, loud music/bands/dj. Like you probably, prefer TJ spot and I happened to be in Alcapuco location day they celebrated 50 years in business. Good times hard to duplicate when you go corporate.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

I was hanging out at Frog's in early 2000. The quality and service were never much to mention, but the drink prices seemed reasonable.

The rent for the Jerry's building must be astronomical, so I won't be surprised if the new Senor Frog's prices are, too.

I ate at Jerry's once--(we have them in SoCal--used to eat occasionally at the one in Costa Mesa)....ridiculously overpriced I felt (i.e. $23-24 with tip for scrambled eggs/lox and coffee for breakfast that I could get at Joe's Takeaway for half the price, and better, during my stay). Addition by subtraction in my book.

The Frog's is owned by the people who just opened Profirio's in SoFi. Which is some upscale Mexican I've yet to try but heard was...SHOCKINGLY....good but horrifically overpriced for what it was. In South Beach. NO WAY. Anyway, they're the ones opening the new Senor Frogs, which I remember being fun back in the day. Why do I feel like this'll have a different feel?

Marc, you forgot to mention Jerry's was ridiculously expensive for a deli. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving restaurant. until Mr. Chow's closes. Josh's in North Beach is my pick for top deli. RIP Wolfie' and Rascal though.