Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Restaurant following proposal?

My girlfriend and I will be spending a week in Miami Beach is the end of February. We live in Denmark and visiting the US has been a dream of hears for years and I am planning to use the opportunity to propose to her.

I haven't worked out the details yet (thinking something like sunset on the beach, but would definitely appreciate ideas and tips), but for sure we'll want a nice dinner and I'm trying to work out where. I have a reservation at 9:30 pm at the red fish grill for the day after we arrive, but I'm a little concerned that it's quite far away and (we'd have to take a taxi) and I am not sure if it's exactly our type of spot - she does like romance, but she really appreciates trendy and upscale places.

I'm thinking about Azul at the Mandarin Oriental which also seems to have a nice view. I also had a friend suggest 15th and Vine at the Viceroy where he has stayed before.

We'll be staying in south beach, but it doesn't have to be around there. I'd appreciate all help, it's quite hard to plan this from half way around the globe

Default Re: Restaurant following proposal?

Great picks all around. Are you talking about proposing at one of these places? Azul is fantastic, but La Mar downstairs is just as good and you can sit outside on the water. And wave to me since my apartment is right across from where you'll be sitting.

15th and Vine has a fantastic view and great food, I'm a big fan of that spot. I wouldn't call it "Romantic" though since you're kind of on top of other people at the restaurant. So for proposing, I dunno.

Red Fish Grill is a great place and totally beautfil, but, yes, quite a trip fro, South Beach. Not sure what your concern is, if you figure you're gonna spend 80-90 dollars to get there and back then you're good. That would be a good place to propose actually.

Smith and Wollensky I think has the best view in South Beach for eating. Tables right on the water with views of the beach, city, and Fisher Island. Not terribly trendy but always good and a romantic spot.

Great new place at the Mondrian too called La Savina that's right on the bay and has a fantastic view. Also, Gibraltar at Grove Isle is fantastic, people get married there all the time and it's an unbeatable view.

DM me know if you decide to propose at one of those places. I work with them all the time and MIGHT be able to help you out.

rk

For a sunset location to propose, look at South Pointe Park. It tends to get crowded sometimes, but there are less busy sections if you get off the main cutwalk. Nearby S&W is a possible dinner spot but also gets very busy and I think you can't reserve the waterside tables, it's first come first served. Matt has some good suggestions above.

New User

Thanks a lot for the input. As for the actual proposal - I'm leaning towards not doing it inside a restaurant, I'm trying to figure out if she would like it, but so far I am not 100% sure it would be appreciated so better err on the side of caution My idea for now is proposal somewhere at/near the beach, hopefully with a nice sunset, then to a restaurant for dinner and a bit of champagne.

My concerns with Red Fish Grill is if the trip takes a long time, but more important the feel/quality of the place, the pictures does look nice, but in some of the pictures the tables and chairs look like cheap plastic patio furniture. I'd like us to celebrate somewhere where she can go in a nice dress and some heels, it's hard to judge if this is the right one from some pictures. On the other hand, the beach there does look nice and I could do the actual proposal there.

I have seen proposals at South Pointe park a few times. And it has the added bonus of Smith and Wollensky on the water, so that could work. You could propose in the park, on the beach, or the pier, at sunset and still be 2 minutes away from S&W.

I proposed at an Arboretum ( "the plane" scene from Fantasy Island) peacocks included - and it went well; I'll tend towards something personally prepared and romantic at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Gardens.

That's just me. Others here have given you great advise.

Good luck.

So are you proposing pre-Red Fish? I'm confused. That place is in a beautiful park so you'd be set for the proposal-dinner combination. But if that's just dinner on the first night, then it'll be great. Nobody ever has a bad thing to say about that place.

But if not, a proposal on the Beach then dinner at S&W can't steer you wrong. Or take a cab to one of those other waterside places I mentioned.

New User

Matt: I am not quite sure if she wants a proposal so public and with as much attention as it would be in a restaurant, so that is why I am leaning towards a pre-dinner proposal.

Held og lykke

New User

Haha, tak

Google translate needed

New User

He wished me good luck

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am still not really sure where and how to do it or where to go after, but maybe I'll get some idea when I see the city and area.

Honestly, just find the sunset. Sunset sets the mood!

I was asked at sunset and I said yes

New User

Just to follow up.

We visited from the 18th until the 26th and caught some cold weather in the start of the vacation, but I ended up asking her on the beach (not at sunset though, couldn't really make it work timing wise) but she said yes anyway

We went to Dolores but you can call me lolita for dinner on their terrasse in the evening which was OK, nice setting but not fantastic and then brunch with unlimited mimosas the day after at Shore club, which was great

Thanks for all the suggestions but in this thread and on the site in general, it helped us a lot.
    Last edited by briandk; 02-27-2015 at 11:29 AM.

Oh dear, WHY did you try Dolores? We could have told you it wasn't that great.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Oh dear, WHY did you try Dolores? We could have told you it wasn't that great.
    I think it came from trying Prime 112 the day before, great food but extremely annoying to play their waiting game and we just wanted something more simple. I should of course have checked with the forum first