Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Restaurants that don't live up to the hype

Macchialina--ate here once. Had the veal Milanese which was good. Paid for 1 glass of wine and got 2.5 glasses. Thought it was good but not great to the extent proclaimed experts on a foodie site wet their pants over this place. When I look at the menu, polenta and rabbit don't float my boat. Much prefer Il Mulino, Sardinia, and Il Gabbiano...what am I missing here?

Lucali--nada de particular based on the pizza I had (and my friend from Brooklyn agreed). Forget the cost, I just was underwhelmed with the flavor. Could name a number of places in NYC that blow this place away--do not understand the hype.

For my next visit either need to make it back to Mulino or try Siena. Also looking at either Blackbrick or Cypress Room.

Default Re: Couple of Restos I Don't Get

I definitely want to try Sienna Tavern.

Blackbrick is good but a small place. Expensive 'authentic' Chinese. The gator tail was good and service was fine.

Still haven't been to Lucali..not paying that kind of money for a pizza.

I would not have minded the price at Lucali (Ok, maybe a little) if the pizza were good...if they serve same exact pie in Brooklyn, not sure how they stay in business....for my money pizza at Sardinia (different style) much better at 1/2 the cost.

The thing with Miaccialina is it's a lot more affordable (relatively) than Il Gabbiano or Il Mulino. So if you're paying, I'd say it makes a lot mores sense. Also, it's a lot more laid back. I've had some great meals there, and some so-so meals. I agree food writers have hard-ons for it, which I don't get. But it's also good. Note: I wouldn't go there and pay, though. Still think it's overpriced.

Lucille you have to look at this way: If you're going out to a nice restaurant you can get out of there for like $30 a person and still be full. That's why I like it. It's actually a decent budget option if you look at it that way and it doesn't feel like you're eating at a pizza place. I personally love the pizza too.

Fuck Cypress Room. Wasting your time and money to say you ate at a Michael Schwarts restaurant. The food is nothing special and mad expensive.

Siena Tavern absolutely go check out. I love it. Love the people. If I could afford it I'd go there and pay for sure.

I can live with and agree with the price point argument about Il Mulino and Il Gabbiano....not places I would eat at on a weekly basis--unless the comptroller at my company makes an error and starts moving the decimal point on my bimonthly paycheck to the right going forward...if money were no object, I could absolutely eat at these places on a weekly basis...but so called well respected foodies consider both of these places "pedestrian"...I dunno, maybe I'm just used to classical, red checkered tablecloth Italian but, in the case of Il Gabbiano, I find the menu offerings demonstrably more extensive than Macchialina and far from pedestrian and better tasting product...I do not think Macchialina is not good but I do think it is overrated and very far from the best Italian meal I have ever had and not the best Italian resto in Miami--but to each their own.

Have you had a pie in NYC (Brooklyn) from Paulie G's, Di Fara, or Grimaldi's, among others?...need to be careful in Manhattan (too many geared for tourists)...I've got a number on Long Island as well...supposedly, I need to give the calzone a shot at Lucali.

On to Siena Tavern in a couple of weeks it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    The thing with Miaccialina is it's a lot more affordable (relatively) than Il Gabbiano or Il Mulino. So if you're paying, I'd say it makes a lot mores sense. Also, it's a lot more laid back. I've had some great meals there, and some so-so meals. I agree food writers have hard-ons for it, which I don't get. But it's also good. Note: I wouldn't go there and pay, though. Still think it's overpriced.

Lucille you have to look at this way: If you're going out to a nice restaurant you can get out of there for like $30 a person and still be full. That's why I like it. It's actually a decent budget option if you look at it that way and it doesn't feel like you're eating at a pizza place. I personally love the pizza too.

Fuck Cypress Room. Wasting your time and money to say you ate at a Michael Schwarts restaurant. The food is nothing special and mad expensive.

Siena Tavern absolutely go check out. I love it. Love the people. If I could afford it I'd go there and pay for sure.

Default Re: Restaurants that don't live up to the hype

I have not ventured to those spots, no, as most of my time in NY is typically in Manhattan. That said, on my next trip up I will be sure to check those out.