Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Default South Beach Dinner ideas?

So my husband Mike has a big birthday next week and I think I'm going to surprise him and take him to South Beach for a quick overnight.

Suggestions for dinner?

Fun, possibly outside, hopefully not stupid expensive, not Italian, and not Yardbird.

I'm stumped. BTW we'll probably be ten people. If Davids was still open it would be perfect.

Default Re: South Beach Dinner ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    Fun, possibly outside, hopefully not stupid expensive, not Italian, and not Yardbird.

I'm stumped. BTW we'll probably be ten people. If Davids was still open it would be perfect.
    Davids? as in David's Cafe? It is open actually..doesn't really hit the 'fun bday dinner' barometer..more of a 'coming off a hot beach day and want some cheap latin food'

Fun Bday dinner would be like you mentioned, Yardbird..or Burger & Beer Joint with a big dessert..or Yardhouse, etc.

I think Tantalize, the new 'sexy' restaurant on Lincoln is doing a $79 meal for 2 on Travelzoo or GiltCity I believe..Tongue & Cheek was doing the same, just not sure if its valid on weekends..

So many better options in South Beach...

Fun, not expensive, not Italian... what about Sushi Samba?

Not ITALIAN???? I can't IMAGINE why not. I like the Tongue and Cheek suggestion. Realyl good, not too expensive. Haven is also a great time with great food. Lure Fishbar is fantastic though I'm not sure about outside seating. Sushi Samba isn't a bad call either in that regard. Also, Teqiztlan in Sunset Harbor is great Mexican.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Not ITALIAN???? I can't IMAGINE why not. I like the Tongue and Cheek suggestion. Realyl good, not too expensive. Haven is also a great time with great food. Lure Fishbar is fantastic though I'm not sure about outside seating. Sushi Samba isn't a bad call either in that regard. Also, Teqiztlan in Sunset Harbor is great Mexican.
    Ha! Sounds like Sushi Samba may be a good call.

We've decided to take the boat down from Fort Lauderdale instead of driving so I think we may stop at Garcias for lunch. None of us have ever eaten there. Opinions?

If we can't stay sober long enough, it may be Montys.

Thanks everyone! I'll report back. If it isn't too bad, I'll try and post a few photos!

We are back and it was a fantastic trip. Took the boat down Tuesday morning. Stopped at the Haulover Sandbar for a couple of hours then hopped back in the boat and headed towards Miami. Went down the Miami River (which is really cool by boat) and had to go to Casablanca instead of Garcia's because their slip was too small for the boat.

Casablanca's food was amazing! I had the shrimp and lobster ceviche, a couple of people had the grouper sandwich (blackened and fried), and can't remember what anyone else had. We were well into the mojitos by this time.

Finished lunch and headed out. Went around Dodge Island towards Fisher Island and headed into Miami Beach Marina. I had made the reservation a couple of days ago and they charged us $3.80 a foot do dock.

Unloaded the luggage and rolled into Montys for happy hour with the dock cart looking like the Beverly Hillbillies. Each had a couple of margaritas wondering why we don't do this more often.

Headed to the Catalina Hotel and find out when we check in that they have free drinks from 7-8PM. We dump our bags and head up to the rooftop pool for free drinks.

The Catalina Hotel is a really fun hotel! The rooms are small but perfect. Blackout curtains and Tempurpedic beds! Rooftop pool and free drinks? Wow! I stole the rooms off hotwire for $50 per night.

Decided on Cuban because one of the people in our party is Cuban from Cuba and had never been to South Beach before. So I picked Havana 1957 on Espanola Way. We sat outside and our food was really good and the atmosphere was truly spectacular. We had to wait about 15 minutes for a table because there were eight of us. Mike got their specialty chicken dish which was a roasted chicken in Cuban gravy, I got the Ropa Vieja, my son got the Cuban which were all good. Everyone was really happy with what they ordered.

BTW, I saw the new Davids and it is a lot more of a dive than the one on Lincoln and Meridian.

Took the newbies to Club Deuce because you must.

Finished up with a nightcab at the gorgeous SLS Hotel. Wow that bar is pretty.

Crashed at the hotel, got up, and Ubered over to the marina. Gassed up, got some sandwiches from the marine store (and I must say they were excellent), and headed out.

Anchored out at the Haulover Sandbar again for a couple of hours. Mini Lobster Season had started so it was quite busy with the boats coming back in. Lots of police, probably saw four different police boats in the first 15 minutes then they just started pulling everyone that was coming in the cut.

Went to Duffys and ate again.

Headed out then headed home. Grilled out by the pool and called it a day! Had a wonderful trip!

Sounds like a wonderful two days.

For people that don't enjoy Miami and complain about its short comings & issues, if you take advantage of what the city has to offer the way you guys did, people would love it a lot more.

Its a great city for boaters & water lovers and I always tell people "If you don't boat, go to the beach a lot, gamble, love sports, party or travel a lot, then there is no reason to spend the exorbitant rents, property taxes, and insurance premiums and you are better off moving to Orlando or Jacksonville"

Sometimes I run into these miserable people in Doral, Miramar, etc. who do nothing special and complain about life in South Florida...They don't have some amazing job so I say go relocate somewhere cheaper and try something new.

Anyways, sounds like you guys packed a lot into a 2 day trip and had a great time. The Catalina is nice and that chain of hotels always has great deals in the summer, especially during the week. We've stayed at the Chesterfield for $45/night with the free drinks as well as the Chelsea hotel. (all same company). If you can avoid the $30 parking fee, you can stay in a cool, different room/hotel for very cheap!

What a fun time!

I agree with Marc, if the beach, fun, sun and partying isn't your thing, then go elsewhere in FL. We do have culture, but it is a fun young town.