Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By elchevere
  • 1 Post By elchevere

Thread: Morton's - My First Miami Spice of the Season!

Default Morton's - My First Miami Spice of the Season!

As you all are aware by now (by reading Matt's helpful column about where to dine), you know that Miami Spice is going on for the next 2 months. They have eliminated the $19 lunch and now its just a simple $23/lunch, $39 dinner for a 3 course meal.

Since I live in North Miami, I decided I'd try Morton's as its one of the few famous steakhouses I haven't dined at.

Its a Wednesday afternoon @ 1PM so they probably had 5-6 tables. I only saw 2 servers and no hostess. It had a cool ambiance to the place with some music playing in the background. The restaurant serves everything from $13 Chicken Sandwiches to $66 Steaks. Apps & Sides are $12-$20, so its a pricey, upscale place. I don't believe they offer lunch on Monday's & Tuesday's. Valet Parking was free.
    They have a $29 3 course lunch menu as it is so you save about $6 doing the Spice, however you don't have access to 4-5 other entrees or the various soups like Lobster Bisque (which i'm sure is much better than the house salad I had).

The Miami Spice menu had 3 options - 9oz Ribeye, Steakhouse Burger, and a Chicken dish. We opted for the Ribeye and Burger. You could choose a house salad or Caesar and either a chocolate mousse or cheesecake. We got 1 of each.

The Salad - House salad was basically romaine lettuce with a tiny bit of chopped egg with blue cheese dressing ( I removed the Anchovies). Pretty basic, bland salad and they sell it for $12 normally. The Caesar was a bit better, though the 'crouton' was stale and just a few pieces of cheese were given.
    House salad - 2 out of 10
    Caesar - 4 out of 10

After about 25-30 minutes, our entrees arrived. My burger was very tender and delicious and matchstick fries were tasty. Its a pretty fat patty and the bun was nice and toasted. I had it with Bacon and a side of mushrooms for the steak. It was on par with a Burger & Beer joint burger but at $5 more regularly, there is no comparison.
    My wife's steak arrived - though it was thin and fatty (like a Ribeye) it was very tasty and you could almost cut it with a fork. They served it with Mash potatoes which were good as well. It had been awhile since I had a good steak so this was a nice change. I believe its about $22 for this steak entree.
    Burger - 8.5 out of 10
    Steak - 8.5 out of 10

Our dessert came next. The mousse was small and served in an ice cream glass where as the cheesecake was standard slice size. Both were good but it was really too much food, especially if you enjoy some of their free warm bread. I would give them both a 7 out of 10.

The service became slower as the meal lingered on. I ended up having to get a manager to refill my drink since I was so thirsty from the salty fries as well as retrieve our check & cash us out. The server saw us signing the bill and you think she would have realized that someone else brought the bill to us. Maybe say 'thanks for coming'? Its a shame because she was a nice lady and it started out well, but she ended up getting maybe 15% which was more than generous after having no drink on two occasions for a period of time as well as not bringing the check. Plus, she would just disappear from the floor for 5-10 minutes at a time and other tables were even looking around wondering where she was going.

Service - 4 out of 10
    Food Taste - 8 out of 10
    Value for Miami Spice - 7 out of 10
    Value if regular menu - 4 out of 10
    Ambiance - 7 out of 10

I probably wouldn't go back if not for the Miami Spice menu, though the $29 lunch 3 course option did have some interesting items that might be worth trying one day. I didn't get to do much Miami Spice last year and I really wanted to try a new restaurant this time around. Plus I've been craving a good burger since my diet ended and this definitely hit the spot.

Obviously Burger & Beer Joint isn't a white table cloth restaurant like Morton's but if you compare the $19 burger and $8 dessert vs a $14 Thunder Road & 7 Fried Twinkie or one of their other crazy desserts, B&B has them beat hands down. Morton's should have impressed with service since its fine dining and B&B isn't known for their speedy/friendly service.

Looking forward to our next spot this month!

Default Re: Morton's - My First Miami Spice of the Season!

keep in mind Morton's, a chain, was acquired by a much larger chain, Landry's, about 2 years ago.....those matchstick fries you described used to be thick steak fries prior to the acquisition meaning someone in Landry's corporate accounting decided they could make an extra 47 cents per plate by reducing the size of the fries they serve.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Bad service? In MIAMI???? The lies you speak, Marc. The lies.

Sounds like a pretty solid experience, though, Morton's is usually a safe bet. Good meats there and chefs who know what they're doing.

What's next on your Spice agenda?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post

What's next on your Spice agenda?
    Not sure..A lot of the places are best for Dinner and we don't have any babysitters here in Miami. At lunch, our little guy is much easier to handle so we took him to Morton's for lunch.

I want to hit at least 2-3 off your list Matt..I've eaten at Hakkasan and loved it, but it was a long time ago and we went with safe items. But for the value you claim, we definitely want to get in there. I have never eaten at Scarpetta so its always on my list and 'Quality Meats' is high on your list as well and sounds interesting. I know some of you rave about Il Mulino so that's a possibility. Places like Seagrape by Bernstein and Tongue & Cheek are always on Gilt City/Groupon so I can go there anytime on the cheap.

Any other suggestions from you two guys? You both seem to know fine dining :-) (FYI Not much of a Fish, Tartare, Foie Gras, Caviar kind of person)

too lazy to check to see if this is part of Spice or not, but my friends on Chowhound.com are raving about Alter (Brad Kilgore's new spot) in Wynwood--though it might be too seafood oriented for your tastes; does have non-seafood items as well...I also hear good things about Migonette and Niu Kitchen (tapas)....saw a good Spice review for Pubbelly.
    Last edited by elchevere; 08-06-2015 at 05:54 PM.

I missed the media dinner there but my intern said Alter was fantastic.

Alter was very good...blue crab app was phenomenal...had the swordfish with bacon avocado sauce--very tender swordfish (not quite the fishy steak flavor I am used to, but good)...ordered their $8 bread with butter that I would pass on).

At Quality Meats now for Miami Spice...best scallops I've ever had (black garlic sauce) and the filet....the steak sauce is fantastic. Eating at the bar and it took the bartender 3 minutes to prepare it for me.
    Last edited by elchevere; 08-19-2015 at 08:13 PM.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

That steak sauce is AMAZING. Literally the only time one should put steak sauce on a cut of meat like that.

I even dipped the bread in the sauce, it was THAT good (like the Petet Luger jelly roll--except mini onion rolls at Luger better than bread at QM).

I've never been but is it true Peter Luger won't cook your steak well done? If so I just immediately lost respect for that place.