Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Non-service Dogs in Food Establishments in Miami? (Rant)

Default Non-service Dogs in Food Establishments in Miami? (Rant)

This is a big pet peeve (no pun intended) of mine: people bringing in their dogs to places where they serve food and beverage (Starbucks, hamburger joint, and I even see them routinely in banks etc. etc.)...this is quite a common and daily occurrence where I live in San Diego, where the owners of the establishments--in their Disneyland, Penelope Pitstop, politically correct at all times, Pollyana, I go through life as though the sidewalk is full of praying mantis--do not want to offend their customers....well, what the hell am I...chopped liver?...am I not a customer as well and are there not Board of Health laws that clearly state no non-service animals allowed in food establishments?...will you allow someone to bring in their horse next?

Curious how prevalent this is in Miami?....do you witness this occasionally or all the time??...personally, I don't eat or sleep with animals. No, I'm not a dog hater--just an inconsiderate pet owner hater....not just food establishments and banks either. More and more people bringing their non service pets on board planes for 'companionship' purposes.

rk

Default Re: Non-service Dogs in Food Establishments in Miami? (Rant)

I've only been in San Diego sporadically, so can't compare apples with apples, but this is a big problem in the Miami/Beach area, certainly worse than most other cities. I dislike it also, and generally refuse to visit establishments that go overboard with the pet friendliness at the expense of human customers. This carries over onto sidewalks, parks, bike paths, roads, the beach, you name it.
    Jess likes this.

The problem is people get their dogs classified as "Service animals" because they say they have depression or anxiety or some shit and their pet Pomeranian helps with it. I hate people who abuse that so that Tinkerbell doesn't have to fly in the pet compartment, but whatever.

And yeah, it's an issue here. I generally dislike pets so it's a pet peeve of mine too. Betta fish are where it's at.
    Jess likes this.

Not sure if this is a geographical thing or a generational thing (I might have seen a dog in a person's arms at a Starbuck's in NY, where I would expect someone, besides me, to open their mouth)...perhaps it's both.

I ran a hypothetical situation past a flight attendant....suppose I were in first class and the psychologically insecure person in need of therapy sitting next to me brought their pet for companionship (non service animal ) on board and I complained that I had allergies. If they could not relocate the person with their dog sufficiently far enough away from me to address the allergy issue, I was told the plane would be forced to land and I--the victim--would be asked to get off the plane and be re-routed....I'm just dieing to get into that situation so that I could hire Gloria Allred, or whomever, to file a multi million dollar lawsuit vs. the airlines.

You'll get no gripes from me giving free roam to Dogs. Some gal or guy leaving their kidney sweat on a restaurant seat in SoBe after their beach time, is more unhygienic.

Anyways, cases are growing where dog owners are obtaining frivolous documentation to certify their Dogs. It's abuse like this that led Disney no longer grant no-line privileges to legitimately wheelchair bound persons. There was actually a cottage industry in Orlando where you could secure a wheelchair for the parks, and all the travel agencies knew about this.

Personally won't take my dog on a flight, just because. But I do take him to places that allow pets in Miami on rare occasions. Nothing really I seek. Maybe dinner " family time" on Lincoln Road and most certainly, the café on Brickell Key during a dog walk break. But mostly, he stays in as it's too damn hot for him in FL. If I had another breed less prone to heat, I'd probably give him the keys to the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    The problem is people get their dogs classified as "Service animals" because they say they have depression or anxiety or some shit and their pet Pomeranian helps with it. I hate people who abuse that so that Tinkerbell doesn't have to fly in the pet compartment, but whatever.

And yeah, it's an issue here. I generally dislike pets so it's a pet peeve of mine too. Betta fish are where it's at.
    Its being cracked down upon now. Plus, "Therapy Dogs" are not "Service Dogs" so places like the Post Office, Airplans, etc. don't have to let you in with your animal. Its the same for Hotels/restaurants but no one bothers to read the law or ask questions in fear of a lawsuit.

As a manager for Marriott, I was trained to do so, even when dumb owners would come in and let my employees try to pet/play with it. I would stop them and remind them that they are not pets, but animals providing a service. The owners would get pissed off and leave but hey, the law is the law.

Does anyone know what the two types of animals are allowed to be service animals? Its not just dogs.... :-)
    Jess likes this.

Marc; Next time we hit up Spris, we'll mount our Shetland ponies.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    Marc; Next time we hit up Spris, we'll mount our Shetland ponies.
    Lol, you are correct sir!

Small horses! I remember in my training class being shocked to hear about that..imagine someone coming in to the lobby of a Ritz Carlton with a pony!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Its being cracked down upon now. Plus, "Therapy Dogs" are not "Service Dogs" so places like the Post Office, Airplans, etc. don't have to let you in with your animal. Its the same for Hotels/restaurants but no one bothers to read the law or ask questions in fear of a lawsuit.

As a manager for Marriott, I was trained to do so, even when dumb owners would come in and let my employees try to pet/play with it. I would stop them and remind them that they are not pets, but animals providing a service. The owners would get pissed off and leave but hey, the law is the law.

Does anyone know what the two types of animals are allowed to be service animals? Its not just dogs.... :-)
    I had a recent issue where I work. A member of staff bought a puppy and went gaga over it, "its so CUUUTE", "I love hiiiim"... and then decided she wanted to have him at work with her, lying under the damn desk. I said no. She then starts saying its her service dog, bought him a fake service dog coat on the internet, and said she needed him and started quoting the disability laws at me. Well, that was not happening. The law is a service dog is NOT a pet. They are trained service dogs for people who are blind etc, with papers, and you must have proof. Some stupid letter from your dr saying you need your dog for anxiety is a load of crap. Those are emotional support animals (Oh PLEASE) and that just means you need xanax and think your dog is a toy. Anyways, ESA dogs are NOT permitted to be anywhere and those people lying are actually breaking the law.

Needless to say, her doggie is not allowed at work anymore, and it was that or she leave. I won.

People just get so obsessed with their dogs. It's actually worse than they do with their kids. But as a non-pet-owner I think there should be some kind of crackdown on the service dog "Certification" abuse. It's not an issue of sanitation, it's an issue of I don't want your dog around, and neither do most other people.

funny, but on a return cross country flight home from NY the other week I was in an aisle seat and a person brought what might have been a service dog (might have been wearing one of those fake vests) with her and was sitting in the window seat--with the middle seat vacant. She decided to take a nap in the fetal position...rather than positioning herself AND her dog away from me towards the window, her head--with her dog practically beneath her--were positioned, instead, towards me in the vacant middle seat and her original window seat while I was dressed in a suit. I might have cut her more slack, possibly, had I been dressed in jeans or shorts but the fact it was a suit--and a nice one at that (not a Joseph A Bank buy 1 suit get 4 free for $14.99) prompted me to wake her up and ask her if she and her dog would mind falling asleep elsewhere besides next to my lap. Sorry, but I did not want the prospect of dog hairs on my suit....if that makes me anal, then guilty as charged.

People are scared to say no to service dogs. But as proven by the girl I work with, you can buy the coat, leash and papers from Amazon.

Glad I'm not the only one thoroughly exasperated by dogs everywhere.

not necessarily the dogs, more the dog owners. Probably the same DNA as parents who think everyone loves their beautiful little crying infant (to which I reply, my fondness for babies begins and ends at orgasm).

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    People are scared to say no to service dogs. But as proven by the girl I work with, you can buy the coat, leash and papers from Amazon.

Glad I'm not the only one thoroughly exasperated by dogs everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    not necessarily the dogs, more the dog owners. Probably the same DNA as parents who think everyone loves their beautiful little crying infant (to which I reply, my fondness for babies begins and ends at orgasm).
    I get it ! We're all tough guys that don't like kids.

I kinda thought along those lines a long time ago , but we eventually grow up. My guess is Marc is the only other regular here who is a father and has an ( non- public ) opinion similar to mine.

which is why I think Miami Beach will suit this longtime bachelor fine...I could be wrong, but I do not believe the majority of people living there or moving there are young couples looking to start out and have a family or raise kids there....and I'm not convinced having kids makes one a grown up--some decide not to have them let alone not get married (god forbid to the wrong person with whom they have kids). I've met plenty of people who should not have kids....prime example: acquaintance (not friend) of mine who has been divorced twice and gets a vasectomy because he does not want kids. What does he do?...goes to the Philippines a dozen times within a year and a half period to find a wife who ends up having a couple of kids and is giving citizenship to all 3 (same guy who used to forward birther emails about our Prez) If that's not a prime example of a "grown up(?)" who should not raise kids (his or someone else's), I don't know what is.

I kinda thought along those lines a long time ago , but we eventually grow up. My guess is Marc is the only other regular here who is a father and has an ( non- public ) opinion similar to mine.
    Last edited by elchevere; 08-12-2015 at 07:51 PM.

you are correct sir..Sure there are bad parents out there that shouldn't have kids..just like there are bad pet owners. We were at the beach today near Haulover and its a dog beach until 3pm. Its the closest public beach for us but the dogs run rampant there we found out today. Multiple times kicking sand all over my stuff and my baby. One guy even started to beat his dog in the ocean because it wasn't doing what he said (like the Dog speaks English or something). Then another dog drank too much saltwater and began to 'spray' poop like a fountain all over the sand..pretty gross. ALl the while the pet owners are like "Bella, Bella, come over here. Lona, where are you lona?"..How about GET A LEASH!

But I digress..

I love having my son so I'm more patient now and don't get upset with kids yelling/screaming/crying like I used to...guess I grew up Blackie! :-)

which is why I think Miami Beach will suit this longtime bachelor fine...I could be wrong, but I do not believe the majority of people living there or moving there are young couples looking to start out and have a family or raise kids there....and I'm not convinced having kids makes one a grown up--some decide not to have them let alone not get married (god forbid to the wrong person with whom they have kids). I've met plenty of people who should not have kids....prime example: acquaintance (not friend) of mine who has been divorced twice and gets a vasectomy because he does not want kids. What does he do?...goes to the Philippines a dozen times within a year and a half period to find a wife who ends up having a couple of kids and is giving citizenship to all 3 (same guy who used to forward birther emails about our Prez) If that's not a prime example of a "grown up(?)" who should not raise kids (his or someone else's), I don't know what is.
    I was referring to myself.

I didn't sire till I was 45 and ready. One and done..... and a dude that gets high on the inspiration of being a Dad. An emotion and responsibility that can't be topped by anything else in life, and least understood by, well...some.

Got it...enjoy and good luck...they're not for everyone.
    Jess likes this.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Not sure if this is a geographical thing or a generational thing (I might have seen a dog in a person's arms at a Starbuck's in NY, where I would expect someone, besides me, to open their mouth)...perhaps it's both.

I ran a hypothetical situation past a flight attendant....suppose I were in first class and the psychologically insecure person in need of therapy sitting next to me brought their pet for companionship (non service animal ) on board and I complained that I had allergies. If they could not relocate the person with their dog sufficiently far enough away from me to address the allergy issue, I was told the plane would be forced to land and I--the victim--would be asked to get off the plane and be re-routed....I'm just dieing to get into that situation so that I could hire Gloria Allred, or whomever, to file a multi million dollar lawsuit vs. the airlines.
    You would have no leg to stand on.

When you purchase your airline ticket you agree to an assload of things and one of them is that the Captain is a Dictator and you relinquish all rights.

By having an allergy issue, you would force the crew to stop performing regular duties and cater to you endangering the rest of the passengers. Protocol is for the Captain to land the plane at the closest airport and remove you from the airplane.

Again, by purchasing your seat you have agreed to these terms.

If you told the gate agent about your allergies, you would be denied boarding.

Happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    You would have no leg to stand on.

By having an allergy issue, you would force the crew to stop performing regular duties and cater to you endangering the rest of the passengers. Protocol is for the Captain to land the plane at the closest airport and remove you from the airplane.
    Then why the F do people with peanut allergies get to call the shots when it comes to snacks? Shouldn't the same be held for them too? I wrote an article once where I called them "assholes" and you will not believe the hate mail I got from indignant parents.
    Jess likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast