Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Eating House - My Review

There are so many good restaurants in Miami and since i'm such of an avid reader of all things Matt Meltzer, I had Eating House in Coral Gables high on my list. Saw the reviews over the years in various blogs/magazines and figured it was time to try it.

I had a client moving in nearby and wanted to treat my new associate to a nice meal. (Plus I love Chicken & Waffles which I read online were a must try).

I circled a few times looking for parking as its meter only. The building has no sign on the fašade, something they do on purpose to seem cool or 'trendy'. I personally felt it was stupid given the high cost of rent in Miami and the high percentage of businesses that fail.

I arrived with my baby right as they opened and grabbed the first 4 top I could find. The server wasn't too pleased by this I could tell and would find out why later on. I hooked my baby to the table and was given a tiny paper menu to order off of for lunch. About 12 items or so, most of which were meat based. My associate, as it turns out, wasn't eating meat so he was very limited in choices and chose the Shrimp tacos. I of course ordered the Fried Chicken & Waffles as well as appetizer of waffle fries.

The food came quickly and was hot, presented well. They serve tap water out of a glass bottle and charge 50 cents per person for this. Not a shock as my favorite breakfast places on Ocean Dr do the same.

The chicken was great and they use bacon on top which tasted excellent, surprisingly. The waffles were good and there wasn't too much syrup on them.

The 3 shrimp tacos were served in small corn tortillas and were good as well, despite me not liking soft corn tortillas.

Within about 20 minutes the restaurant was filling up and the server asked if we could move tables. I politely declined considering my baby was attached to the table and it took me about 5 minutes just to set up before I could order! Apparently its a popular lunch spot (as well as dinner from the reviews).

The bill was just under $50 with tip for everything.
    The $5 fries appetizer tasted like Ore-Ida fries frozen from a bag and then fried. They try to dress it up so its 'fancy' but I wouldn't waste the money.
    Chicken & Waffles were great, probably a 4 star out of 5. The shrimp tacos I would give a 3.5 out of 5.

The place prides itself on being a cool little place, sort of a hipster vibe in a non descript plaza. No parking stinks for the busy lunch crowd and as it got busy, it took awhile to cash out since all the servers were running food. Make sure you make a reservation if you plan to eat at Noon or 12:30 (or for Dinner). I hear the brunch is excellent (Cap'n Crunch Pancakes) so maybe I'll go back, who knows. Food was good but I wasn't blown away by anything in particular and since I don't live in the Gables, its a trek to get out there. If I lived there and was entertaining clients/family, I would probably go once or twice since its unique in a way.

Even though Yardbird is double the price, you get spiced watermelon, bourbon syrup, more chicken, and biscuits so 2 people can actually share it versus what I had today for $18.

I know my little man had a good time on his day out with Daddy!

Name:  CamEatingHouse.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  94.9 KB

Taste - 4 out of 5
    Ambiance - 3.5 out of 5
    Value for Money - 2.5 out of 5
    Overall Rating - 3.5

Default Re: Eating House - My Review

Nice review even though I'm in the minority when it comes to chicken and waffles. I originally thought Roscoe's was a USC gimmick to attract recruits, so I eventually tried them and haven't since.

I've been meaning to give them a second chance because seeing them served at Yardbird. looked pretty good.

Cute kid, Marc.

So cute! But I do not understand why he wanted you to move tables? I think that's rude. Good for you for saying no.

Interesting...I wonder why the server would do that. People obsess over Eating House and I've never gotten the cult status. I, like you, enjoyed the food a lot and appreciate the innovation and creativity. But can see where it might not be a huge hit with everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    So cute! But I do not understand why he wanted you to move tables? I think that's rude. Good for you for saying no.
    I don't know..it had the vibe like the restaurant was more important than the customer...almost like 'you're fortunate to be eating here'. I Don't eat at many trendy places like this so maybe Matt could speak more on that than me (though if they know he's coming to write a review and comp his meal, the probably give him top service when possible).

The servers weren't very good in my opinion. No explanation of the menu, no recommendations, etc. Just order takers/ food runners.

I still need to try Swine & Hillstone in the Gables so it will be a bit til I return to Eating House.

I wouldn't disagree with you Marc. Eating House is kinda like the craft cocktail "mixologist' mentality, stuffed into a restaurant. Like they think they're making the greatest food/drinks in the history of human consumption and therefore don't really give much of a shit if you like them or not. Eating House makes great food, don't get me wrong, and I don't think the chef/owner there exudes that attitude, but the servers/hosts/bartedners do. And until it makes a dent in the bottom line that's not likely to change.