Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Lobster Roll--River Oyster Bar v Izzys

Default Lobster Roll--River Oyster Bar v Izzys

Had lobster roll sandwiches twice last week for lunch (real lobster, as in from Maine from a lobster that actually had claws--not a deformed one without).

Would have to say the one at River Oyster was much better, including the roll itself, than Izzy's but the fries at Izzy's are legendary...izzy's was not bad, just not as good as River Oyster Bar.

Default Re: Lobster Roll--River Oyster Bar v Izzys

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    Had lobster roll sandwiches twice last week for lunch (real lobster, as in from Maine from a lobster that actually had claws--not a deformed one without).

Would have to say the one at River Oyster was much better, including the roll itself, than Izzy's but the fries at Izzy's are legendary...izzy's was not bad, just not as good as River Oyster Bar.
    Then I'll definitely be checking both out.

I was trying to get one when I was in boston/NH two weekends ago but couldn't make it happen.

Did you know that McDonalds in NH & Mass sell Lobster rolls for $8.99?

Our last stop was at Legal Sea Foods at Logan International but the lobster roll was $20 so I declined ;-)
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

For a chain, Legal Sea Foods not bad...lobster rolls at both places I ate at were just under $20...you can order a smaller sized portion at Izzy's; the one at River came with kettle chips....if I recall, Joes Takeaway has a lobster roll and lobster tacos on the menu--though I have not had these here so I cannot comment.
    Last edited by elchevere; 08-04-2016 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    if I recall, Joes Takeaway has a lobster roll and lobster tacos on the menu--though I have not had these here so I cannot comment.
    yeah but they're closed for summer :-(

Miss my joe's breakfast, can't wait til October to go back!

Forgot, about the summer closure....Joes Takeaway arguably has the best scrambled eggs with lox as well as oatmeal I've had anywhere.

I get their power wrap which has a huge amount of scrambled eggs. Its done perfectly every time.
    And their turkey bacon strips are gigantic which takes my little man a while to eat leaving me time to enjoy my wrap

Let's not forget about their amazing and cheap fried chicken!

Am I the only one having a little Fred Garvin nostalgia here?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Am I the only one having a little Fred Garvin nostalgia here?
    In that spirit, I checked your Thrillist Dallas colleuge for some tips ... though I'm not a foodie or have that delicate inclination.for fuzziness....... I eat anything like Mikey, Thank the Lord none led me to the Stockyards, Got good info from Thrillest Dallas on some mean $2 tacos I'm going to rattle on my down hill roll on the Grassy Knoll. On Sunday I'll take heed on his rib eye steak reco before flying back to FL. Feria de Frutas when I get back to Miami.

Nice gig to write for Thrillest.

Yeah I don't know much about the Dallas coverage, but I will say the tacos I've had there are on the whole a lot better than Miami.

Yeah I don't know much about the Dallas coverage, but I will say the tacos I've had there are on the whole a lot better than Miami.
    Dallas doesn't offer much and yet I want to avoid a same situation where Nebraskan's ran over Ocean drive the last time the Conrhuskers played in the Orange Bowl. In that light, I'm avoiding the Stockyard, which is the Dallas equivalent to Bayside.

Your Dallas Thrillist counter part is led me here ...... http://elcometaco.com/

On Sunday, we'll do his rib-eye reco. Traveling with my bro-in-law. He spotted me 10 points. Loser pays. Note: both teams debuting new qb's. One would think a low score.

Dallas doesn't offer much and yet I want to avoid a same situation where Nebraskan's ran over Ocean drive the last time the Conrhuskers played in the Orange Bowl. In that light, I'm avoiding the Stockyard, which is the Dallas equivalent to Bayside.

Your Dallas Thrillist counter part has led me here ...... http://elcometaco.com/ Has Garvin written all over it. Too bad life is a cheat. Told him I'd visit and watch maize & blue.

On Sunday, we'll do his rib-eye reco. Traveling with my bro-in-law. He spotted me 10 points. Loser pays. Note: both teams debuting new qb's. One would think a low score.

Stockyards are in Ft. Worth actually. I was in Dallas last week and went to a spot called Stampede 66, which was probably the best meal I've had in Texas.

Pappacitos used to have decent steak nachos...(same owner as Pappas Bros Steakhousr)...been awhile since I've been though.

We settled for Pecan Lodge which your Dallas colleague ranked #3 in Dallas -Fort Worth area. We stood in line 2.5 hours in Deep Ellum. It was worth it for the briskett and pulled pork. Both beef and pork ribs a tad dry. By the time we got to order, they were out of suasages, Before our flight back, we took up Thrillist recommendation for burgers at Twisted Root and those banged as well.

Thrillist is legit. For images, @Blackfordoakes on Instagram, including the arse whipping we got at Jerry's World. #rolltide #hatsoff
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 09-05-2016 at 10:07 AM.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Why would you wait on a 2.5 hour line for food? WHY? Never understood that, no food on earth is that good, especially when you live in a city where there are decent restaurants.

Glad to hear the recs were worthwhile though. Hopefully people say the same of our Miami picks when they come here.

Why would you wait on a 2.5 hour line for food? WHY? Never understood that, no food on earth is that good, especially when you live in a city where there are decent restaurants.

Glad to hear the recs were worthwhile though. Hopefully people say the same of our Miami picks when they come here.
    2 Hours is standard wait times for Joe's Stone Crab....

What through us off was not knowing how fast the line was going to move. After an hour we knew we'd be in for a while. Deep Ellum is the coolest hipster neighborhood I've ever seen. Took turns with my borother-in-law exporing and enjoying a street fair a block away. But I get your point, I'll nevfer do it again. Both of us have back conditions and sciatica was kicking in to the point we considered missing the game. Luckily Jerry's World has a outdoor plaza with great lawn space and we settled there after halftime lying on our backs and wathcing, without pain my college team getting demolished. Nonetheless it was a great time and Jerry's World is simply amazing. Considering going back for a Cowboy's game.

Again: some images on my Instgram.

P.S. USC travels wells for away games and it was probably 55-45 Bama. Rolltide wasn't visible anywhere in downtown area nor waiting in line for a BBQ. Saw some serious tailgating and made some good friends in Arlington. It wasn't an adversarial crowd at all. Before the game, they were showing Texas A&M vs UCLA on the big screen. The crowd erupted in unision when Texas A&M pulled out a squeker. Roll Tide guy looks a t me and says: Why are you guys cheering ? Told him, there's probably a dude among them that will find a cure for cancer or send man and back to universes unknown ... but they don't know shit about college football. #FightOn

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    2 Hours is standard wait times for Joe's Stone Crab....
    I suspect the same effect I ran into with tourist. Guy in front of in line was a locval but he was treating out of town guest from Ohio. He assured us the wait was worth it but normally 1.5 hours wait.

Yeah that's why the only time I Went to joe's I think it was like a Monday or Tuesday early in the night. Also, waiting for a table at a restaurant is a little different than waiting in line for a taco/cronut/cupcake whatever.

If you don't know why USC fans are cheering a UCLA loss, you don't deserve to be at a game like that. Going to my first UCLA home game at the Rose Bowl on Saturday, Blackford. I'll send you a selfie in Bruins gear.

Yeah that's why the only time I Went to joe's I think it was like a Monday or Tuesday early in the night. Also, waiting for a table at a restaurant is a little different than waiting in line for a taco/cronut/cupcake whatever.
    Yeah, that's true. Standing in a long line would kill my back and I would never do that for food. At least at Joe's you sit at the bar or patio, enjoy a drink with your spouse/date/group and maybe an appetizer.

They open on Oct 15th...can't wait to do my Sunday Breakfast and Park days again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast