Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Blackford Oakes
  • 1 Post By elchevere

Thread: "Celebrity Chefs"

Default "Celebrity Chefs"

Two categories in my book--those who earn accolades for the caliber of their food (Jean-Georges, Michael Mina, Daniel Boulud, etc) and those who gain fame because of their personalities or appearances on TV shows (Richard Blais, Brian Malarkey)...there are some in between, such as a Wolfgang Puck, but without question my overall preference is for the first group--not even remotely close...would love to hear Matt chime in.

Default Re: "Celebrity Chefs"

Ahhh....yeah. I've never been overly impressed with TV chefs spots aside from Spike Mendelsohn, who does fast casual anyway so its almost a different category. I like Sunny's a lot. But Morimoto wasn't much, wasn't impressed by Bobby Flay's burgers. Went to a Guy Fieri place in california that wasn't all that goof. Scott Conant's place wasn't my style. Mina never steers me wrong though, and Ivy Stark's stuff is pretty on point. So I would tend to agree with you.

We have a guy in SD, Malarkey, who started out as a celebrity chef while cooking for Oceanaire, a chain (got famous cooking someone else's recipes??)....opened up a few places before getting bought out by Hakkasan...just opened a new place and is advertising it as "some call this The French Laundry of SD"...French Laundry a top 10 resto in the US; Malarkey's place not even in top 10 of SD....can't see a Jean-Georges having to pimp himself on Bravo--does not have to.

Need to try a flagship Batali resto..,cannot judge him on his Mozza pizza place
    Last edited by elchevere; 08-25-2016 at 07:56 PM.

As I read this conjuring in my mind is perhaps a Fantasy League for chefs. I hate the Food Network but love Bourdain and Zimmerman. Though I belittle " foodies," it does involve one of the sensual pleasures and worthy of pastime chatter.

Matt: in regards to Orlando being the butt of jokes in regards to cuisine, I've noticed a new trend in CFL. Gated communities that offer full services including one or two outlets for dinning are going after some good chefs to attract new residents. Having no overhead is a tough deal to pass up as well as a built-in client base. I believe our formal restaurant recruited somebody renowned. Our "Grill' is going through renovations to mimic a sports bar and hopefully attract some talent.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

There's an interesting story there. I'm trying to think of what it is, because I've never heard of this but it'd be a cool feature.

Also, Oceanaire is interesting because while it's a chain they also let chefs create much of the menu. For example the one in Brickell for a long time had this Jamaican guy as its chef and he was great. They had all sorts of Caribbean stuff on the menu you don't see in other locations. So insofar as that place producing a legitimate chef, it's not surprising. But I don't think you call anything "the French Laundry of...." until it's been open for a few years.

I might call or email The French Laundry and tell them I was going to make a reservation for a party of 12 until I heard they are the Herb & Wood (name of SD resto) of Napa.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
    I might call or email The French Laundry and tell them I was going to make a reservation for a party of 12 until I heard they are the Herb & Wood (name of SD resto) of Napa.
    While at Chiat/Day, AX Platinum/Centurion was a account I manged. The boast, or one of the perks guaranteed was same day seating at the French Laundry. Reservations off the street today will get you a reservation in 2018. A private room for twelve at The Forge might be realistic. The good Cocaine Cowboys are already dead.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

I think there are two kinds; famous chefs and celebrity chefs.

The famous ones are famous for their food and the notoriety is a secondary thing.

The celebrity chefs may be very talented but I think their ego comes first.

The best example of a celebrity chef I think is Rocco DiSpirito's epic meltdown on his early reality show that showed the audience all of his ego and none of his talent.

I've been lucky enough to meet quite a few chefs/restaurateurs through my husband and for the most part, they are very cool, down to earth people. Danny Meyer, who is my rock star God in the culinary world, was incredibly nice and gracious.

The only thing in common I've noticed is the more the talent, the geekier, shyer the person.