Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Dinner on South Beach

Hi there! I'd love some recommendations for dinner on South Beach for two Miami residents and one tourist! Thanks!

Any particular type of cuisine, price range?

New User

Gosh, not really! I guess I'd keep the prices mid-range. Not fast-food, and probably not Prime 112. Maybe a cool place to people watch, or a good area to walk around...or cool looking inside. But the food has to be good! Thanks so much!

Well, my favorite people-watching spots in Miami Beach are Lincoln Rd., Ocean Dr., and Espanola Way. Since I don't go to many restaurants on Ocean Dr., I'll make recommendations for the other streets. They are:

Espanola Way

Cafe Nuvo - Mediterranean cuisine, moderately priced.

Hosteria Romana - Delicious, Italian cuisine. Can be expensive if you're not paying attention.

Lincoln Road

Cafeteria - The food has been delicious everytime I've dined.

Doraku - One of my favorite sushi restaurants in South Beach. The atmosphere is very lively and there are tables outside for great people-watching.

Have fun!

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi greenermiami, your blog is one of my favorite.

I'd be happy to make some suggestions. You say "a cool place to people watch", but since you're a local, I'd leave the people watching for after dinner. Most of the restaurants that are good to people watch are some of the worst restaurants when it comes to service and food (I'm looking at you Nexxt Cafe).

If you got your heart set on people watching, I'd say Van Dyke on Lincoln Road.

Have you ever eaten at Tuscan Steak? It's one of the restaurants owned by China Grill Management, and it's the only place I can confidently recommend. I did work there for almost 5 years, but that's not why I recommend the place. I recommend Tuscan because the service is warm and friendly, the food is great, and the portions are huge. 3 people can eat there, and if you order correctly, you won't break the bank.

3 people can share:

OPTION A: Small House, or Caesar Salad, 28 oz T-Bone Steak, Small Risotto, 1 Dessert

OPTION B: A: Small House, or Caesar Salad, Chicken Piccata, NY Steak, Asparagus, 1 Dessert

OPTION C: Tuna Tar Tar, Whole Fish, Large 3 Mushroom Risotto, Side of Broccoli, Side of 1/2 Smoked Mashed Potato & 1/2 Sweet Potato, No dessert, too much starch.

For a meal like this, with some coffee and drinks, I'd expect to pay a little over $150. But that's much less than the $300+ you'd pay at Prime 112, Barton G, Tantra, Blue Door, Casa Tua, Nobu, or Joe's. And Tuscan Steak is in the same league.

My only other high end recommendation for dinner on South Beach would be Pacific Time.

BTW, you can find contact information, menus, and reviews for most of the restaurants that are mentioned on this thread in our Restaurants section.

Please let us know where you decide to go. We'll be happy to make the reservation for you. The lucky restaurant should know a famous Miami blogger like yourself will be visiting, and to take extra special care of you!

Gus

Oh Rocky, what are we going to do with you? Sure everybody's heard of a cheesesteak, and Publix Supermarket makes them the best. I take mine with banana peppers.

Let's keep this thread on topic, and focus on mid-range restaurants in South Beach that serve dinner.

New User

I agree with you Gus, people watching + food doesn't usually = tasty. If I took that piece (the people-watching piece) out of the equation, would your advice differ? I've been to Nobu, Vita closed I think (weird, isn't it?)...and besides that I've had a couple meals on Lincoln Road. (And one on Ocean when we arrived to Miami - 2 sandwiches + 2 beers for $50!) Nobu is probably on the high end of what I'm looking for. Anyway, thanks for the help!

Hi GreenerMiami,

I used to work at Tuscan Steak too , where I met Gus and Michelle. And I love this restaurant, I went there a couples days and I had the Nuovo Linguine With Clam Sauce, it was delicious.

I do recomend restaurant all the time, but I am not pretty sure about your preferences.

Don't think that Gus recommend Nobu, he only mentioned it as an expensive restaurant.

Anyway , here are my suggestions for prices mid-range + good Food are:

Rancho Argentino : They have specials pre-set menus lunch for $9.95 and dinner $29.95

Novencento: Great value Argentinean-Mediterranean food, excellent service and vintage inspired ambience.

FLB: Italian & Brick oven pizza

And last but not least Macarena: Spanish, International cuisine

There are too many options out there that you need to be more specific about what you want.

I hope this helps.

Have Fun!

I have always enjoyed World Resources (Sushi/Thai) on Lincoln Road. It's right in the middle of people-watching heaven! I love their Thai curries, the spicy tuna appetizer and the soft-shell crab sushi. Reasonably priced considering the location, plus nice vegetarian options. Also, parking is close by at the two lots on Pennsylvania Avenue.

Front Porch Cafe is another reasonably priced favorite of mine, but people-watching is not so concentrated, because it's on the tail-end of Ocean Drive. However, it's nice to sit outside, knowing the beach is just a few steps away (even though you can't see it) and that you're not dealing with throngs of people going by. Huge portions and GREAT salads with nice vegetarian options. I always bring out of town guests to Front Porch for a non-ostentatious, tasty dinner.

Rebecca, please let us know about your dining experience, where ever you decide to go. Bon appetit!

I just wanted to note that Vita isn't closed.

New User

You guys have rocked out with suggestions! A friend told me that it was closed...nice to hear it isn't. Thanks for the tips...I'll talk them over with my hubby and see where we should make reservations!

Gus

"... people watching + food doesn't usually = tasty. If I took that piece (the people-watching piece) out of the equation, would your advice differ?"
    No, I'd still recommend Tuscan Steak. But if you go, make it quick. I've been talking with friends who still work there, and it may be losing some charm. I'm still confident you'll have a great meal, but make reservations first.

Minra had some great suggestions for Latin/Mediterranean restaurants. Two places she didn't mention were: Ola and Santo; they are both considered High-End. The chef from Ola is pretty famous, and Santo is a chic, superclub like restaurant on Lincoln Road with live entertainment after 11pm. I hear if you have dinner at Santo, you get free entry into the nightclub.

You know, after re-reading this thread, if you want to find a mix of people watching, low and mid range prices, a well rounded menu, cool atmosphere, with a forthright attempt at good service, I'd agree with Michelle and suggest Cafeteria, but only if they know you're coming in advance. Cafeteria is working really hard to change their reputation. I had a Birthday dinner there once, we all had fun. I remember eating Tuna Tar Tar.

But it would be a crime to mention Tuna Tar Tar on Lincoln Road (or all of Miami for that matter) and not give props to Jonathan Eismann at Pacific Time; that's the best tuna tar tar in the world!

I hope more restaurant people and foodies Regsiter for an account here, and tell about their favorite places to eat. It's fun talking about food.

New User

You guys rocked out in suggestions, and I totally bailed. We DID go to Lincoln Road, and wound up at regular ol' Sushi Siam. I was looking for Doraku and didn't see it. I shoud have tried World Resources and don't know why we didn't. But, there's always next time! Thanks again.