Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New User

Default Jewish ethnic food

Epicure market 1 block past the east end of the Lincoln Ave pedestrian mall. Everything is great, moderate to high cost but top quality Jewish and other gourmet food market. Top notch chopped liver

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Thanks for mention this, SDskater.

Oi Vay! you're the first skater I met who's also a conosuire of chopped liver. How great is that.

There is also Arnie's & Richie's Jewish Deli located at 525 Arthur Godfrey Road in Miami Beach. They don't have the selection Epicure has, but they're still pretty good.

Personally, I like the matzo ball soup at Jerry's Famous Deli on Collins. When I order matzo ball soup, I ask tot the works: rice, noodles, extra vegetables.

Anyone else have some good Jewish food suggestions to share?

I make fabulous rugelach from scratch!!

Does Chinese count? We used to tell where the Jewish neighborhoods were by the number of chinese restaurants. Delis have died out all over, the food isn't even served at Bar/Bat Mitzvahs and Chilean Sea Bass has replaced gefilte fish. We keep kosher so most of the delis are off limits to us anyways, but even in NYC, kosher delis are hard to find. But kosher chinese? There are 2-3 near 41st street and even more in North Miami Beach and Aventura.

Almost 10 years into my relationship with my Jew, and I still can't handle all the Sunday Chinese dinners!!

Oy vay my meshugenah!

41st street has Bagel Time, Arnie and Richie's, Kastner's Market and Kosher World. Chopstix (Royal Palm and 41st street) is a relatively new kosher Chinese place, LOL.

Of course, all these places close for Shabbos.

There is a new meat sandwhich shop, I forget the name, next to Bagel Time. The largest Chinese is in a condo at 5005 Collins called China Kikar Tel Aviv. There is another one in the Days Inn at 41st and Collins, I forget its name.

South Beach has 3 kosher restaurants. Pica Loca on 6th between Collins and Ocean is Israeli falafel restaurant, very good food. Gourmet Carrot on West between 9th and 10th is healthy style restaurant,, great sandwhichs, and Tea for Two pasta on 17th.

That new shop is called Shuki's or Suki's. It's very new. I hope they can run it successfully; the last shop there didn't make it. Bagel Time only serves salmon, but no turkey, pastrami, etc;

BTW, Epicure has GREAT take out for hot dinners. It's a little pricey, but much more affordable than eating out.

Epicure is great, even their Challah is exceptional. We get our tuna fish there and its also really good. My goal on my next trip down is to go for breakfast and sit in the small outside area in back. Back to Jewish food, there is a kosher market on Alton called BK which never looks open, and usually isn't. We haven't gone in, even though we would be natural customers. Does anyone here have any experience in shopping there? Right now we like going up to Aventurra to either Kosher Kingdom or Sara's Tent Market.

sunaddicted ... Alton and what cross road? The major Jewish markets are up here by 41st street ... are you sure this is Alton or Collins?

Arnie & Richy's, which looks a little like Arnie & Filthy's when you walk in, but don't let that fool you. Also, the Bagel Cove in Aventura,19003 Biscayne Blvd. Link to the "Best Bagel" article from the 2007 Best of Miami New Times contest.
    http://bestof.miaminewtimes.com/best...p?award=483608
    Great soups, fish, chicken, and egg salads, bialys, challah, bagels, and take out of meats, cheeses, bakery items and soups/ other frozen specialty items. Reminds me a bit of Rein's Deli back home in Connecticut
    www.reinsdeli.com

I love the Challah at Publix... and my step-mom-in-law's, which she makes from scratch. YUM!

BE Kosher (not BK) is located on Alton just north of 14th. Its so unassuming you could pass it every day and not see it. I think it might be a front for something.

The deli mentioned is not kosher, open on Saturday, has milk and meat products, etc., but is kosher style (ie they have corned beef and knishes). If someone says they have a killer tuna sandwich maybe we will shlep across the water to visit but is it worth it. Especially if the place is dirty?

Arnie and Richie's has been remodeled after a new ownership. I wouldn't call it filthy anymore (although it might be sort of justified, after being in business for 48 years!) Arnie and Richie's has a new menu now, with the same classic dishes as well as healthier options like grilled selections with salads or wraps.

sunaddicted, yes, BK is so unassuming! I knew I had seen it a billion times, but never thought to stop by. There is also a Yeshiva in that neck of the woods, although the strongest concentration of Jewish temples and schools is between Dade Blvd & 46th street.

by the way, a Talmudic University no less is opening at what was the former Biscayne Hotel at the crossroads of Alton/Arthur Godfrey and the Julia Tuttle Causeway.

Yes, we saw it while eating breakfast at Bagel Time. I really love seeing all of the Orthodox people in the neighborhood, especially walking on Saturdays. It reminds me of a combo of Tel Aviv (the weather, the beach, and the landscaping; and Jerusalem, the people.

Last year we walked from 9th up to Kikar Tel Aviv on 50th and Collins and decided to walk back on the boardwalk. We walk that every morning but never at night so we were a little concerned. Every little shelter we passed had groups of orthodox sitting and shmoozing, so we lightened up and look forward to doing again. It really felt like Israel.

PS. Although this isn't Jewish ethnic food, is everyone aware that most of the stores are owned by Israelis? Not just the camera shops like in NYC but the dress shops, the jewelry shops, and the motor scooter rentals? This goes from Key West to Jupiter.

I can shut up now, I made it up to Junior Member!

YEEFREAKINGHAH!!
    Congrats, addicted!

My favorite Israeli owned spot is Deco Collection in between collins and wash on 8th. Their prices are high, but you can get in some great Jew- on Jew negotiating in. I've walked away with a free pair of true religions when I bought three others! :)

Sunaddicted, this neighborhood is actually known as Little Tel Aviv and it was one of the original residential neighborhoods of Miami Beach (Carl Fisher's estate is around the corner). The majority of the shops on 41st street are Jewish-owned. I also enjoy seeing all the families walking outdoors on the weekends, although I cannot fathom how the Hassidim can wear their coats & shtreimels in the hot Florida sun. But there is something heart-warmning about seeing everyone outside and walking on the weekends. I was raised Catholic but I think that there's something to be said about taking a day off from toil and devoting it to the people you love.

Also, you may have noted that the boardwalk has an Eruv, which is in the form of a visible cord hanging just between the dunes & the wooden structure.

Congrats on becoming a Junior Member!

One of the best kept secrets of this neighborhood is the little toy shop just off Chase Avenue. It is heaven, even for a grown-up kid like me!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

New User

I recently have been buying from Bay Harbor Fine Food Marker, which has recently re-opened at 1077 95th Street, which is behind Ocean Cadillac, one block south of Kane Concourse. The food is FAR superior to Epicure (and less expensive), and the chopped liver is better then any on the beach. Great prepared foods, as well as wonderful deli items.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond
    I recently have been buying from Bay Harbor Fine Food Marker, which has recently re-opened at 1077 95th Street, which is behind Ocean Cadillac, one block south of Kane Concourse. The food is FAR superior to Epicure (and less expensive), and the chopped liver is better then any on the beach. Great prepared foods, as well as wonderful deli items.
    thanks for the tip Raymond! Epicure has been even less worth the money than normal lately, and I'm excited to try this place tomorrow- I'll post and let you all know how it goes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast