Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Is WOLFIES restaurant sill open?

Default Re: Chicken Place

Quote Originally Posted by fredgarvin View Post
    I think that was "Pickin Chicken" and was located where the Decoplage is now and where one of fisher's mansions was located.

For fried chicken that is the same as it ever was, go to Joes!
    Funny you should mention "Pickin Chicken." My mom (pre-Alzheimers) used to tell me and my sister the infamous story about Pickin Chicken's grand opening. Apparently we were in Miami Beach visiting my grandparents who had an apartment by the Publix on Michigan Avenue near Alton and Dade Blvd. They were out with my aunt and uncle at the time and decided to try out the eats at Pickin Chicken. Being from below the Mason Dixon Line (Maryland) they never met fried chicken they didn't like. I was like 5 or six and my sister an infant so, I don't remember but my mom claimed there were violinists dressed in tuxedos strolling violins. Imagine this at a fried chicken joint in Miami circa 1962 or 1963 at the end of July or early August. My mom laughed so hard, she had an asthma attack. But rest assurred my folks who were the ultimate chowhounds managed to eat Picken Chicken out of breasts and drumsticks. LOL

Thanks for sharing all the memories, Zippy! Good to see you back in the forums.

Fred -- I gotta try that chicken one of these days!!!

New User

Default Re: Is WOLFIES restaurant sill open?

i vacationed in miami beach from 1953 to 1963 and wolfies and pickin chicken were two of my favorite restaurants. i received some great pictures of pickin chicken from the historical museum of s. florida showing the outside and art deco tables and chairs on the inside. i was only about 5 years old then but i still remember the great fried chicken and the best thing was that they gave you a little bowl with warm water and lemon so you could get the grease off your fingers! i know it was located on collins ave on a corner on the north side, probably between 15th Street and Lincoln Road because during these summer vacations, I stayed at the Poinciana Hotel, located off of 15th Street, the St. Moritz Hotel located off of 16th Street, and the Georgian Hotel located off of Lincoln Road. Since I only remember walking a short distance to the Chicken Pickin' Restaurant, it had to be around this area. If anybody knows exactly where it was located, I would appreciate that information. If my memory serves me correct, Pickin' Chicken went bankrupt around 1957 because we stayed at the Georgian Hotel at that time and I was very sad that we could not go to this restaurant any more during that time that I spent on my summer vacation.

As far as Wolfie's was concerned, this was "The" restaurant of all restaurants at this time in the 1950's and 1960's. There were always lines out the door, and being a little kid, I really didn't have the patience waiting on line... no matter how good the meals were. But, since I was about 5-10 years old at the time of my memory, I didn't have much to say about waiting on long lines. My only alternative was to be cranky, and hopefully, go to another restaurant. Unfortunately, the food at Wolfie's prevailed, adn we were eventually seated at one of their famous booths with the delicous sour pickles always on the tables, with some bread, and of course, the famous large Wolfie's Menu, with the picture of the smiling wolf on the cover. The Children's Menu always said that if you finished your food, you could get a free dessert... which was a big incentive at that time to finish your food. I remember since it was the '50's, going to the Wolfie's on the corner of Lincoln Road and Collins Avenue. It's just too bad that Wolfie's ever had to close because young children, like myself, will never have these memories now. The Rascal House had just closed, as did Pumpernik's... but none were the same as good old Wolfie's!!!

New User

bingo! i found a great picture on the thread "old motel photos and postcards - sunny isles maria de los angeles #47 dated 11-4-08 on a u-tube video titled memories of old miamio beach.this picture was shown at night with wolfies, pickin chichen, and north american airlines which i took to florida in 1953 and 1954- this airline which was a non- sched airline at that time was closed down by the c.a.b. our f.a.a now ...due to pressure from eastern and national airlines in 1956. n.a.a. was able to charge lower fares then these airlines since they were not regulated by the feds. forturately these low fares enabled my family to fly to miami beach in 1953 and 1954.so getting back to the picture, the n.a.a. travel office is pictured to the right of pickin chicken on collins ave between 16th st. and lincoln rd. on the beach side and pickin chicken was located on collins ave. between 16th st and the corner of lincoln rd. and wolfies is on the other corner of collins ave. between lincoln rd and 17th st. where the ritz carlton/dilido hotel is now. if the picture was a little wider to the right i think you would see a minature golf course and arcade with pin ball machines which i loved to go to after eating at wolfies or pickin chicken. i know there are many great books written about old miami beach but i would give a lot of money for a book that gives us all the facts of the old miami beach so we don't have to fill in all the gaps.

New User

OMG Im totally gutted! I visited Miami, from the UK, on a family holiday in 1997. I was 13 and thought Miami was amazing, the thing i remembered the most was having breakfast in Wolfies. Im not sure if in right but I'm sure Wolfies was over the road from the Holiday Inn on Collins Ave where we were staying. Im coming back at the end of october and really wanted to eat there again. Oh well Im sure I'll make some new memories when I visit again.

rk

Yes, sadly Wolfies closed about 10 years ago. It used to be at the corner of 21st and Collins. That area has changed considerably. The Holiday Inn was demolished about 4 years ago and is now a fancy hotel named W. The building that housed Wolfies made way for an upscale condo building named Elan (I'm not sure any have been sold yet).

There isn't a genuine old style Deli left in the area. There is Jerry's Deli near Collins and 15'th, but nothing memorable about it. Front porch Cafe in the 1400 block of Collins has good breakfast, though not a deli.

New User

I DON'T KNOW PIGGLY WIGGLY ABOUT THE PIG TRAIL INN....BUT I DO HAVE GREAT MEMORIES OF THE GRAND OPENING OF WALDZ RESTAURANT IN THE EARLY SIXTIES ON UNIVERSITY BLVD IN JACKSONVILLE AND THE YEARS THAT FOLLOWED.

I JUST RETIRED BACK TO JACKSONVILLE AFTER LIVING IN MANHATTAN, NYC FOR THIRTY YEARS AND VERY DISAPPOINTED THAT IT IS NO LONGER HERE....NOR ANY OTHER KOSHER RESTAURANT. I AM NOT JEWISH AND YET I STILL CRAVE THOSE GREAT PASTRAMI AND CORNED BEEF SANDWICHES AND THE MATZOH BALL SOUPS...THE SPECIAL BREADS AND THOSE GREAT PICKLES

THANKS FOR THE MEMORY !!! .....Mazel Tov...!!!!!
    VCohen68 likes this.

I have heard so much about Wolfies not I need to find one and check this place out it sounds kind of amazing.

Good luck. It's been closed for nearly a decade. And its sister restaurant, Rascal House, closed a few years back as well. Another Miami landmark done gone. It's now, like every other Miami landmark, condos. Nice park across the street, though.

^Fail... I say in the thread some one said there was a Wolfies in NJ is it part of the same chain or is it a stand alone that just has the name> ...if anyone knows.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    So what was the deal with two different guys named Wolfie's owning delis? Now I'm very curious. Give me a few days and I'll put in a call to JFD and try to dig up some facts from the historical museum.
    Just logged in again after years and never saw an answer to that.

The original Miami Beach Wolfies' was Wolfies' Lincoln Road, at the northeast corner of Lincoln Road and Collins Avenue, opened by Wolfie Cohen. Sorry I don't recall Wolfie's real first name; Wolfie was his nickname.

It was so successful that he opened another, Wolfies' Collins Avenue, on the southwest corner of 21st Street and Collins Avenue. He sold the 21st Street location to my family, but kept the Lincoln Road location. Over the years he built and sold others. Some were sold with rights to open others with the same name, and some weren't.

Jeff
    VCohen68 likes this.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by dylan View Post
    ^Fail... I say in the thread some one said there was a Wolfies in NJ is it part of the same chain or is it a stand alone that just has the name> ...if anyone knows.
    Not part of the same chain, not part of any owned by either Wolfie Cohen or the Lassman family. I lived in NY and NJ back in the late 60s and early 70s; I tried 'em all. Never liked any as much as the one on 21st and Collins, but of course I'm prejudiced.

Jeff

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    bingo! i found a great picture on the thread "old motel photos and postcards - sunny isles maria de los angeles #47 dated 11-4-08 on a u-tube video titled memories of old miamio beach.this picture was shown at night with wolfies, pickin chichen, and north american airlines which i took to florida in 1953 and 1954- this airline which was a non- sched airline at that time was closed down by the c.a.b. our f.a.a now ...due to pressure from eastern and national airlines in 1956. n.a.a. was able to charge lower fares then these airlines since they were not regulated by the feds. forturately these low fares enabled my family to fly to miami beach in 1953 and 1954.so getting back to the picture, the n.a.a. travel office is pictured to the right of pickin chicken on collins ave between 16th st. and lincoln rd. on the beach side and pickin chicken was located on collins ave. between 16th st and the corner of lincoln rd. and wolfies is on the other corner of collins ave. between lincoln rd and 17th st. where the ritz carlton/dilido hotel is now. if the picture was a little wider to the right i think you would see a minature golf course and arcade with pin ball machines which i loved to go to after eating at wolfies or pickin chicken. i know there are many great books written about old miami beach but i would give a lot of money for a book that gives us all the facts of the old miami beach so we don't have to fill in all the gaps.
    Thanks, Charles, for bringing back some memories. I no longer remember the oceanfront hotel just south of the miniature golf arcade where the Long Beach (NY) branch of our family stayed every winter. My aunt couldn't walk, so she took a cab, but the rest of us would all trek up Collins Avenue to Wolfies' 21, as that belonged to our family. And we kids would often stop and play a few games of miniature golf.

Jeff

New User

Quote Originally Posted by nyccousin View Post
    I DON'T KNOW PIGGLY WIGGLY ABOUT THE PIG TRAIL INN....BUT I DO HAVE GREAT MEMORIES OF THE GRAND OPENING OF WALDZ RESTAURANT IN THE EARLY SIXTIES ON UNIVERSITY BLVD IN JACKSONVILLE AND THE YEARS THAT FOLLOWED.

I JUST RETIRED BACK TO JACKSONVILLE AFTER LIVING IN MANHATTAN, NYC FOR THIRTY YEARS AND VERY DISAPPOINTED THAT IT IS NO LONGER HERE.
    I loved my motorbike trips up to Jax when I attended UofF in Gainesville in the 60s, and later when I spent a bit less than a year there in the 90s. The restaurant was still there in the 90s (not sure if you've got the spelling right or not, but I remember the restaurant).

I always thought Wolfies' 21 was better, but of course I'm prejudiced.

Jeff

I live right by where Wolfie's used to e. I forgot its exact location, but thanks for tipping me to that. Wish it was still there.

New User

Dear Jeff,

Thanks for confirming the existence of the miniature golf. For some reason, my memory of my trips to Miami
    Beach are so sharp, it amazes me, and since I was only between the ages of 4-14 during my trips, it is more incredible. So, when I can get a confirmation of my memories by a person like you, it shows that I am on the money!

As far as the hotels where your family stayed south of the miniature golf between 16th and Lincoln Road, right after the golf was the Georgian Hotel, which is now the Georgian Condominium. The New Yorker Hotel was next, and the Sands Hotel, which were both demolished (even though Barbara Capitman tried to save them)... are now the Loew's Hotel.

Please let me know if your family stayed in any of these hotels, and what they possibly remember about them.

Thanks for the memories!!!

Chuck

New User

Cheesecake, schmeezecake. I haven't had a banana fritter in 60 years!
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

New User

No it is not. But I have an original menu and artwork that was on display there...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234