Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Is WOLFIES restaurant sill open?

Default Is WOLFIES restaurant sill open?

:-) AFTER 38 years I will be returning to retrace my steps in Miami Beach. I went to college at
    Miami Dade Junior College.
    I lived at Park Apartments on Park Ave, in Miami Beach.
    I remember a restaurant called WOLFIES. It was on the corner of 21st street & collins ave.
    Can anyone tell me if it is still there?
    Thanks..Lloyd :-)

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

I've never been to Wolfies, but I've heard of it though. Is Wolfies the Jewish deli up North on Collins Avenue, above 163rd St.?

Hi Survivor!

Wolfie's has been closed for over ten years. When you drive by today, all you see is a construction site with part of the old facade. There's a newer deli on Washington Avenue called Jerry's, but it's more retro than truly vintage.

The Rascal House however is still going strong since 1954! Gus, this is probably the deli you are thinking about.

Survivor, you might remember Arnie and Richie's Deli on Arthur Godfrey Road. It's still around and totally authentic. I had a great pastrami sandwich there the other day and took home some delicious matzoh ball chicken soup!

You will be very surprised at how much Miami Beach has changed. Oh my! :wow: Let us know your impressions when you return from your trip.

Arnie and Richie's
    525 41 Street
    Miami Beach, FL 33140
    (305) 531-7691

The Rascal House
    17190 Collins Avenue
    Miami Beach, FL 33160
    (305) 947-4581

Survivor, Park Terrace Apartments today are on 19th street. Did you live on the corner of Park Avenue and 21st? That building is now a residence hall for New World Symphony musicians. The entire area, known as Collins Park, is becoming quite gentrified with the Bass Museum, Public Library and Miami City Ballet headquarters. There's also great little Argentine grill, Parilla Liberty, nestled among residential buildings on Liberty Avenue. The Abbey Hotel today is a beautiful art deco revival boutique property.

:-) So sad to hear about Wolfies.
    I did live at PARK APTS. on 21st. street.
    I cant wait to revisit. Does anyone remember OLLIES?
    WOW! The best burgers and fries ever. And I remember his waitress Sheila. Now I am going back 40 years. ;-)

New User

I was in the Keys about four years ago and when we left we drove through southbeach florida north and found Wolfies, it was pretty late at night and we decided to go in when I saw it. This is because when I was a kid living in Bergen County NJ there was a Wolfies at the Bergen Mall on Rte 4, where we always went after a "day at the mall". The NJ Wolfies had old waitresses and it was huge, filled with booths but it had the best ice cream sodas, burgers and bowls of kosher garlic pickles on the table.

When we got inside the Florida Wolfies I felt right at home, as if I were in New York City. Waiters with attitude, typical Jewish deli, New York style food on the menue, and people who obviously were up too late. But when your accustomed to the City that never sleeps, anywhere it stays open late, you're home.

There is also another Wolfies I think it's in Boca Raton that we were in but it didn't compare to the Miami one. Much newer, a little on the yuppie style, the Miami one was a little unkempt, slightly dirty but it had atmosphere, Jewish food and like I said, NY waiters with attitude.

I hope it didn't close.

Hi Citycat,

Thanks for joining the Forums! As Manola mentioned, Wolfie's has been closed for quite some time.

Any plans to come back to Miami or Key West? A lot has changed in 4 years.

New User

then I must be stupid or something because the restaurant I was in was Wolfies. I just found another site that people are stating that they were in Wolfies on Collins Avenue as close back as
    December of 2005 and they are also talking about the Wolfies in Boca.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archi...3.htmlDecember 2005

but. who am I to say, I'm just a Joisey Girl who happened upon it a few years back.

Enjoy.

Hi citycat! No, you're not stupid!

It's simply a case of two Wolfie's.

The Wolfie's that closed was on 21st street and Collins, just north of the neighborhood demarcated today as South Beach, but still part of the City of Miami Beach proper, specifically within zip code 33139. (There was also another Wolfie's on Lincoln Road years prior. I don't know exactly when that closed.)

The Wolfie's mentioned in the forum you link to is actually Rascal House, aka Wolfie Cohen's Rascal House, which is located at 17190 Collins Avenue, Sunny Isles Beach -- many zip codes north of 33139.

Rascal House does indeed have a second location in Boca Raton and as far as I know, both restaurants are alive and kicking. They're owned by JFD, parent corporation to other South Beach establishments like Epicure Market and Jerry's Famous Deli.

When I spoke to a manager at Epicure, she told me that JDF never owned the Wolfie's on 21st street. So what was the deal with two different guys named Wolfie's owning delis? Now I'm very curious. Give me a few days and I'll put in a call to JFD and try to dig up some facts from the historical museum.

New User

I will be auctioning off a wolfies menu that dates back to when a hot corned beef was 1.10 USD. I have two copies! Be sure to check Ebay and look for me! My Seller name is itsadeal111
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wolfie's Mania Continues!

Late 1970's 2) Wolfie's Restaurant, Lincoln Road at Collins, “Famous for Good Food the World Over” Number 1 Lincoln Road, Miami Beach, Restaurant & Sandwich Shop” “When you come to Miami Beach you must eat at Wolfie's.”
    Special thanks to Liliam Hatfeild of the Archives Section, City Clerk's Office, for the image.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

:-P thanks for the tastey memories. ;-)

Rascal House is closing ... new thread here.

New User

I used to work at Waldz Restaurant and Deli (Jacksonville, Fl) back in the 70s and remember the owners and customers talking about Wolfies down in Miami. I miss their blintzes and matzoh ball soup!

This is a great web site, too bad other cities doesn't have ones like this one! Good job!

Would anyone know anything about The Pig Trail Inn Restaurant that was there in Miami Beach?

Thanks!

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, jax_fl, I'm happy you like our site.

I've never heard of The Pig Trail Inn Restaurant. I'll asked around though.

Perhaps someone else here is familiar with the place.

New User

Thanks for answering! I have 2 small frosted glasses with blue advertising on them. It says it was America's largest coffee shop and the longest soda and sandwich bar in America. Owned and operated by Herbert A. Frank, Miami Beach, Florida. Plus it has a picture of the restaurant and looks like cars from the 40's. (Pig Trail Inn)

Hi jax_fl, welcome to the forums and thanks for the compliment! :-)

New User

Thanks for the info, Maria de los Angeles! I used to work in Miami Beach (at the Doral on the Ocean) in the winter of 1975, and went to Wolfies a couple of times. Very memorable. By the way, there is a book that mentions Wolfies, and that is: "Little Man, Meyer Lansky & the Gangster Life" by Robert Lacey. It's a pretty good read and tells about Miami Beach in the mid 70's, and of course Meyer Lansky's life before that.

Best wishes to all.
    Blujean
    San Diego, CA

:-) HIDY HO ALL! THE SURVIVOR IS BACK IN THE HOUSE.
    SOMEONE SENT ME E-MAIL ABOUT WOLFIES ON 21st STREET & COLLINS.
    WOULD YOU PLEASE RESEND! THANKS! :lol:

New User

I was born in Miami and left there 21 years ago. But, as a child my mom worked at Wolfie's. So I spent alot of time there and the burgers we're great!!! Although my favorite there was the cheesecake. ;-P In all these years I have never found another that compares....It's a shame that it is closed now...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast