Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New User

Default Must visit restaurants on Vacation?

Hi, I'm bring my family to Miami this week and I'm trying to find the must have food of Miami. Cost isn't a big issue, it's vacation so we are willing to splurge a bit. Looking for a really good seafood place and some great cuban food. Any ideas?

Thanks

Not specifically seafood or Cuban, but Barton G is so much fun. We're bringing our family 1st week in July (all teenagers). Every dish that comes out has an awesome presentation. Totally fun for all ages. We even saw kids with their families celebrating birthdays last time we were there. Check out their website. I think it's BartonG.com

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi jajayao,

Puerto Sagua is a really good Cuban restaurant in South Beach.

Nemo is a good spot for seafood.

Where are you staying on vacation.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by jenn-NY
    Not specifically seafood or Cuban, but Barton G is so much fun. We're bringing our family 1st week in July (all teenagers). Every dish that comes out has an awesome presentation. Totally fun for all ages. We even saw kids with their families celebrating birthdays last time we were there. Check out their website. I think it's BartonG.com
    I'll definately check this out, thanks.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Hi jajayao,

Puerto Sagua is a really good Cuban restaurant in South Beach.

Nemo is a good spot for seafood.

Where are you staying on vacation.
    Thanks for the tips! Besides the Mojito, are there any must have drinks in Miami? A friend of mine mentioned some kind of Stone crab that was a must have? i forgot the name of the restaurant... any ideas?

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Jones Stone Crab -- it's totally overrated, if you ask me.

If you like Coconut, order a Pina Colada with a Myers Dark Rum floater.

Rum Runners are another popular South Florida drink.

Brazilians also make some tasty cocktails, but I can't remember the names.

Tuscan Steak is another good restaurants for groups.

You can find menus for Barton G, Joe's Stone Crab, Puerto Sagua, and Tuscan Steak by using the search box at the top of the page.

New User

Thanks, I will definately check some of these places out. Do you happen to know of any restaurants that become nightclubs? I was wondering if that might make it easier to get into some of the more exclusive places...

For good Cuban food in an unpretentious atmosphere, I suggest any of these three in the city of Miami/Coral Gables: La Habana Vieja, Islas Canarias and/or La Casita.

That's where Cubans good for food that's as good as home. Havana Harry's is good, too, but kinda overdone in my opinion.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Tere
    For good Cuban food in an unpretentious atmosphere, I suggest any of these three in the city of Miami/Coral Gables: La Habana Vieja, Islas Canarias and/or La Casita.

That's where Cubans good for food that's as good as home. Havana Harry's is good, too, but kinda overdone in my opinion.
    I've heard that Versailles is a must go if it's my first time in Miami. Do you feel that way? And what are some of the dishes that will really give me a feel for cuban food, can't wait! I'll be in Miami tomorrow!

Well, Versailles is good for tourists because it's "Cuban Miami" central. You get the little coffee window packed with people, plus the crazy guys protesting some thing or other, plus a big menu to pick from. The fact that it's all housed in a place that supposed to resemble a French palace just adds to the surreal factor.

So yes, you won't lose out if you go. The food is pretty good. The most "Cuban" dishes are fried pork chunks, "ropa vieja" and "picadillo." Of course, the really flat steak ("palomilla") is popular, too. Get white rice and black beans, and either green plantains, sweet plantains or yuca to make it a REAL Cuban meal. And of course, finish off with a shot of Cuban coffee!

A good place to go for seafood is Grillfish at 1444 Collins and EspaƱola Way. Lots of fresh fish to choose from in the $25/entree range, plus they throw in extras like pasta. For unpretentious Cuban, David's Cafe is a nice alternative to Puerto Sagua. It's a block north of Lincoln Road at 1654 Meridian. The prices were reasonable and the staff was friendly when I went.

Hi jajayao,

I have to agree with everyone who named Puerto Sagua. Versailles restaurant is an institution in Miami, every time that we hear that Castro Died the News shows the cuban response on TV from there.

The typical drink in Brazil is caiphirina.

I would recommend A Fish Called Avalon on Ocean Dr. for a romantic dinner.

Another popular South Florida drink is "Sex on the Beach". Here is the recipe for those who wants to feel the Caribe at home:

- 1 oz vodka
    - 1/2 oz melon liqueur
    - 1/2 oz raspberry flavored liqueur
    - 1 1/2 oz pineapple juice
    - 1 1/2 oz cranberry juice

Enjoy!!

Preferred Member

They're called Caipirinhas (our original mix made with Sugar Cane rum called Cachaca) or Caipiroska (where cachaca is substituted for vodka). The best Caipirinha I've ever had on the beach was at Chocolate on Espaniola Way. Yummmy!!

As far as food, I love love love El Chalan, a Peruvian restaurant on 16th and Washington. Their Ceviches are to die for! And try the Ropa Vieja as well. Don't forget to end your meal with the delicious and decadent Quatro Leche desert. You'll lick the bowl!!

Pris

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Priscila
    They're called Caipirinhas (our original mix made with Sugar Cane rum called Cachaca) or Caipiroska (where cachaca is substituted for vodka). The best Caipirinha I've ever had on the beach was at Chocolate on Espaniola Way. Yummmy!!

As far as food, I love love love El Chalan, a Peruvian restaurant on 16th and Washington. Their Ceviches are to die for! And try the Ropa Vieja as well. Don't forget to end your meal with the delicious and decadent Quatro Leche desert. You'll lick the bowl!!

Pris
    In Miami now and you are making me more hungry. I'll put El Chalan on the shortlist. Thanks.

New User

Little update on our trip. Had a great dinner at Joe's Stone Crab. It was supposed to be out of season but they still had it on the menu. Also had some of the Alaskan crab and that was great as well. Was a bit expensive but not too bad at all.

Also we to check out Versailles for lunch since we wanted to see little havana. The food was amazing! Atmosphere was good as well. Had the ropa vieja and a few other dishes, it was great.

I tried Caipirinhas drink at Sushi Samba on Lincoln rd. Great drink, very refreshing.

Thanks for all the help. I'll be back in Miami on a business trip in 3 weeks and I'll probably try some of these other restaurants then.

must go restaurant? Devito's on the beach, Michaels Genuine in food and wine, and UVA on 60th and biscayne.. ( off the beach)

When you come back, check out Touch if you can, I love their atmosphere and Mangos for lunch, there's a little hispanic flavor there too. If you get a chance to drive away from the beach, Mojitos in Dolphin Mall has the best Cuban Mojitos around :) glad you enjoyed Miami

I had my first dolphin mall experience over the weekend. I don't know if I would recommend it for tourists... It's a little too Miami

Yes Dolphin Mall can be very Miami and it's a bit of a drive from the beach, I just haven't had any other Mojito's that measure up to those...

Quote Originally Posted by Priscila

Pris
    I LOVE caipirinhas! My favorite drink ever. Chocolate does make a good Caipirinha. Also, try Sushi Samba, they are good there as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast