Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default South Beach High End Restaurants

Hi, I was wondering if I could get some opinions on the best restaurants in South Beach? I need to find work as a server. I haven't moved yet but need to secure a job. I would like to focus on Steakhouse's/Steak & Seafood. But interested in all Finer Dining establishments. Particularly restaurants that would have a $50 per guest check average or higher.(higher the better)I am in my 20's, have a professional appearance, great work ethic, & allot of restaurant experience.

I am not familiar with the Hospitality job market in Sobe, so I was also wondering when the best time/times were to secure a job. High end restaurants can usually be hard to get into sometimes, any input or if any body knows if any are hiring? I can fly down for some promising leads..

Thanks In Advance!!

Joe

I'm not sure how easy it would be to get a job there, but Tuscan Steak on about 5th and Washington has a very expensive menu....well at least for me. One day I'll go eat there. But then again, If you get a job there, I'll make sure your my waiter....Haha

Preferred Member

Hey Joe!

You got some very good questions and I hope I will have some answers. For starters allow me to say that $50 per person is not considered a high check average in South Beach, so I guess that is good news to you. On average on a busy high-end restaurant, managers usually require at least a $75 per person check average. In some places it can go as high as $125-150 per person.

Now in order to find out what or which restaurant you should be applying to work at I have a few things you can do:

1- You can get your self a copy of the 2008 Zagat guide and look for ratings and what is the check average per person (I always find Zagat to go on the lower end, I am not sure if they include liquor or not and that can be a major factor when you pay $15 or more for a martini).

2- Go to the restaurant section in this site and look at some of the posted menus. Also reading reviews can be very helpful. In many reviews you will find that people were ripped off, prices were to high, that sounds to me like prices are right were you want them and you might make money there.

To be honest it all depends on what you are looking forward to doing with your life once you are down in South Beach. There are many restaurants, and many are within the price range you are considering. On the sad side, I have to be honest and let you know that last season was the worst season in the last 10 years for restaurants in South Florida and so far I have heard from people in the business that it has been a rough summer.

From experience I know good restaurants start hiring back around mid-October till the end of November. That is normally a good time to stop by and start inquiring about availability, etc.

Hope this helps,

Muffin

If you are already professional and can speak good English, then you are already better than 90% of the servers out there. South Beach is known for horrible service, outside of a few select restaurants. You should do fine.

yo wassup nate, thanks for the input...i'll check out tuscan steak 4sure..

hey muffin, thanks for the advice. yea i would need a minimum of $50 per guest, but looking for upwards and over $100 per guest. so your info is uplifting. getting a more lucrative server job in FL should be easier than the midwest. I basicly work in hospitality while i work on music and deejaying. so the flexibility, money, and nights work for me. i do good here but the cost of living in sobe is more than double...more like triple..so to offset that i need to make more $$. i'll check out some reviews, that will help me out..somebody is supposed to send me some review site links also..i was planning on moving down w/o a job end of august...but now i am trying to plan it around getting a job first..sucks to hear business is at it's worst..

hey burgundy, you're right..i really shouldn't have a problem. i just need to score a good gig so i know what i can afford and where..

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Thanks, muffin. There's nobody who know more about Miami's hospitality industry than you.

(muffin was the day manager at the busiest restaurant on Ocean Drive - The News Cafe. Before that, he was one of the head bartenders at Tuscan Steak)

How much would you say the average waiter on Ocean Drive makes per shift?

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyR
    Hi, I was wondering if I could get some opinions on the best restaurants in South Beach? I need to find work as a server. I haven't moved yet but need to secure a job. I would like to focus on Steakhouse's/Steak & Seafood. But interested in all Finer Dining establishments. Particularly restaurants that would have a $50 per guest check average or higher.(higher the better)
    Hi, Joe, welcome to MiamiBeach411.

Here is my list of the high end restaurants in South Beach: Prime 112; Nemo; DeVito; Smith & Wollensky; Joe's Stonecrab; China Grill; Tuscan Steak; Barton G.; Santo; Table 8; Tantra; Blue Door; BED; The Forge.

The Fontainebleau hotel is re-opening soon, you may want to try and score an early position there.

In addition to the restaurants I mentioned, most of the tourist trap restaurants on Ocean Drive have a a $50 per guest check average, too...the downside about working in them is: long shifts, crazy management, and the rain.

IMO, the "high end restaurant scene" in South Beach is in decline.

Social at the Sagamore closed.

Kobe Beef won't be around much longer.

My friend used to work at Prime 112, but quit because his co workers were jerks, and he was only making $150 a night.

Don't mean to disappointment you, but there are not that many good restaurants in South Beach to work at, right now.

If you have a bike, you can ride over the Venetian Causeway to the Design District, and apply at Michale's Genuine and Pacific Time.

WAITER TIP #15: If you are going to make it as a waiter in South Beach, you have to be willing to sweat your balls off - literally - working outside sucks.

hey gus! thanks for the list of restaurants and info...thats what i was looking for. sucks to hear the about the decline. kind of a bummer. i'll look into The Fontainebleau as well. i need more than $150 a shift..and not a long one with shitty co-wokers ;)

thanks for the tip...i'll keep on digging..

Thanks, Joe

Devito's, Smith & Wollensky, Table 8,Front Porch ( if you want to be a daytime server their tops in bkfst/lnch,) Michael's Genuine Food And Drink and Brosia would be my choice. The first four in Sobe, the 2nd two in the design district which is the new hot place to be in Miami.

Nikki Beach would probably be fun to work at. The people I met there when getting info for a short piece were certainly helpful.

Thanks Rebecca! I will def. check out those restaurants too! I preffer working at night(because of the money), but a couple good lunches wouldn't be bad to get a break..

I haven't been to Nikki Beach, but want to go and check the place out..I hope to gig there eventually, as DJing is what I want to do most..mabey getting a job there would create the contacts i need..great idea...thanks for the tips!!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyR
    Thanks Rebecca! I will def. check out those restaurants too! I preffer working at night(because of the money), but a couple good lunches wouldn't be bad to get a break..

I haven't been to Nikki Beach, but want to go and check the place out..I hope to gig there eventually, as DJing is what I want to do most..mabey getting a job there would create the contacts i need..great idea...thanks for the tips!!
    Hey Joey, My post may have been misleading - the front porch was the only one recommended for bkfst lunch shifts, not all, although they all do a great lunch. Front porch is just more known for those meals than dinner.

cool cool! thanks for the 411 Rebecca

Nikki Beach has grown into a HUGE empire, with seven locations spanning the globe. It attracts an international crowd and I would say would be a safe, nearly economy proof spot to work. IMHO