Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Finding job as a waitress in Miami

My name is Vita, I am 22, I live in Lithuania, and, as a student a get a wonderful possibility to spend 4 months (June to October) in USA! I get a permission to work and to travel during this time!

SO- this summer (2006) I spent in Los Angeles, CA, and, I have to say, it was amazing!
    I had a really good time and lots of fun! I also was working as a waitress at the italian restaurant in Hollywood. I also did some modeling job, took parts shooting comercials, etc…

BUT, this summer, I want to experience something new,I would like to spend the summer ‘07 IN Miami Beach.

It would be more than wonderful, if there would be somebody who could help me with my questions…

first- is it complicated to find a job as a waitress in summer in Miami Beach? and how about modeling jobs?- are there a lot of modeling agencies/models?

thank you!

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, Vitia, welcome to the Forums.

South Miami Beach is the land of opportunity for professional waiters and waitresses. Each year, starting right about now, most of the popular restaurants begin to hire new staff for season.

Tourist season in Miami runs from December through May.

How to find a restaurant job

If you're looking for a waitress job in Miami, my suggestion (if you were here now) would be to just go to the restaurants you are considering, nicely dressed with a resume in hand, and ask to see the manager. Be persistent. Don't let a snotty hostess deter you.

Most of the restaurants in South Beach are in close proximity to one another (see: map)

Don't go before 3pm, and be prepared to interview until 7pm.

I'd walk around the night before to get a feel for the place, and see how busy some of the restaurants are.

To sharpen your interview skills, start off with the casual restaurants on Ocean Drive and Lincoln Road first. Think of this as practice, getting you ready to interview at the big places.

Being a processional restaurant server is one of the more lucrative professions in Miami. If you find a good restaurant to work at, it's not uncommon to make over $50,000 a year, working only 4 shifts a week.

You can make over $200 a night at any of these restaurants: China Grill, Blue Door, Tuscan Steak, Prime 112, Nemo, Pacific Time, Tantra, B.E.D. (see: restaurants).

On a night like New Years Eve, it's not uncommon to make over $500.

Do you have what it takes?

South Beach restaurants can also be tough places to work. To have a successful career in the hospitality industry, a server must:

• make friends with the manager so they give you a good section
    • make friends with the hostess so they seat you big spenders
    • make friends with the kitchen so they don't fire you when you make a mistake
    • make friends with your co-workers so they help you when you are in the weeds
    • make friends with the customers so they give you big tips

Be prepared to train for 5 days.

And make sure you have the paperwork that shows you can work here (although many of the restaurants on Ocean Drive and Lincoln Road allow people to work without papers).

Regarding modeling jobs, here's a list of talent and modeling agencies in Miami. Acting and modeling work also follows the same season (December to May).

Hope this was helpful.

Hi Vita,

Gus gave you some great tips. I realize you are looking for a job in the summer, not high season. Restaurants don't normally hire at this time. However, you may find a few restaurants that are low on staff because employees move to the Northern part of the United States in the summer to work jobs there.

Miami has a program called Miami Spice during the months of August and September. High end restaurants charge a very affordable fixed price for a set menu during lunch and dinner. Restaurants get very busy during this time and there is good money to be made.

I also wanted to mention that waitstaff in FL makes only $2.13 per hour. The majority of your money will be made in tips.

Let us know if you decide to come! :)

New User

Thank you both very much for the information!
    It is very useful for me as don't have any connections or friends in Miami. I just always wanted to visit this place! And if everything goes the way I plan - I should be there at the beginning of June and stay for about 4 months.
    Now I just have to find somebody in Miami to fill in the job contract for me (not necessarily I will have have to work by the contract- it's just that i need that contract to get VISA... :) I hope everything goes well. :)

Thank you again! :)

Good Luck and Keep in touch!

New User

I have a question...I am from Spain and I was thinking about doing the same for the summer. I have the same problem with the visa...I was wondering if you can get the visa with a contract and then dont do that job, and maybe work in another thing. Because I do have a contract, but in fact I would prefer to work in something else, maybe look for something while I AM there. Can I get a VISA with that contract and then change my job?
    Thank you very much

Preferred Member

hi !!! there is actually a student visa that allows students to work in the US for 3 to 6 months. I forgot which visa it is per say (J-1 ???)but also not only it gives you a chance to work, but at the same time, they get a job that sponsors you as well.

If I may I would not suggest to go to Miami Beach for the summer only. If money is what you want to make, I would rather get this visa and work in the Hamptons, Block Island and more places in the NorthEast. In the summer it is what they call "low" season in Miami and the heat is unbearable.

Muffin

Hi Pip,

I know there is a Visa that only allows you to work in one place. I guess that visa is the J-1 trainee program. With this visa you can spend 6 months or 1 year in this country only working for the company that sponsor your trip.

I have a friend that came to Miami with this visa and he wanted to change his workplace. He searched for another company who can sponsor his visa. And after thousands of dollars in lawyer fees, he did it. I know a lot of people with this kind of visa since I worked in a restaurant that did that sponsorship. And some of the guys that got this visa work in ohter places, without presenting any kind of working permit.

If you only want to work during the summer, why don't you come to work for one company and then change once that you get here?

I hope this helps you. I am talking from what I know about my friends or family that have a visa in U.S.

New User

Hi!

My name is Simona and I'm 22 years old. I'm from Slovakia. Currently I'm a student at the University in London, studying International Tourism Management. I'm in my second year now. Last two summers, I was working as a waitress in Paris and right now I'm working part time at the Bar at the London Luton Airport Departure Lounge. I really want to go to Miami and work there as a waitress or a bar person this summer.

I do have a Visa, but I don't know if I'm allowed to work with my type of Visa in the US. Visa type I have is R and class is B1/B2. But I don't know what that means. Can you please tell me if it's OK for me to work in the US with this kind of visa???

I read what you wrote to Blondie and I see that it shouldn't be a problem for me to find a job in Miami, because restaurants and bars are busy over the summer and they need more staff. Everywhere it's like that.

My other concern is about the living. How can I find a place to stay before even arriving to Miami??? I simply need to be sure I have a place to stay there. What are the average prices for renting a room in Miami???

If you have any informations that may help me, please please let me know. I would be very very thankful.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi simona, thanks for posting.

You said:
    "I read what you wrote to Blondie and I see that it shouldn't be a problem for me to find a job in Miami, because restaurants and bars are busy over the summer and they need more staff."
    I think you misunderstood. Summer is the slow time for restaurants and bars in Miami. It's much easier to find a job here from November to May.

"I have is R and class is B1/B2. But I don't know what that means. Can you please tell me if it's OK for me to work in the US with this kind of visa?"
    B1/B2 Visa: B-1 is for business, B-2 is for personal visits. Your visa is good for either.

"My other concern is about the living. How can I find a place to stay before even arriving to Miami? I simply need to be sure I have a place to stay there. What are the average prices for renting a room in Miami?"
    It's going to be hard to find a place before you arrive.

Most people stay at a hotel by the week while they find a long-term rental.

Apartment throughout Miami seem to be getting more expensive.

In South Beach, I'd say the average price for a studio apartment is $750 per month.

Have you seen this information about Miami Apartment rentals? You can find some good tips on moving to Miami, where to live, and how much money to save.

New User

Hi Gus!

Thank you very much for your reply, I found it very helpful. I'm very glad that my visa is good for working, but what about a work permit. Do I need something else to work in the US legally???

I'm thinking of going to Miami for 2-3 months over the summer (June-September). The reason why I was interested in a bar and a restaurant job is because I have experiences in catering. Honestly, I don't mind other kinds of jobs. What is the easiest kind of job I can get there during that period???
    I just want to spend summer in Miami with my boyfriend and have a good time. He is English and he doesn't need a visa.

I checked the rent prices. During June-September it's not that bad. The rent is payed monthly, not weekly, right??? 600$ for a studio apartment for two people per month is not that bad.

Thank you again;)

Hi Simona,

The visa R class B1/B2: it is a visa a Gus said, B-1 is for business, B-2 is for personal visits. The R means that you are a foreign citizen.

I don't think that you can work with this visa. The kind of business that you can do with this visa is:

* Consulting with business associates
    * Participating in scientific, educational, professional or business conventions
    * Undertaking independent research
    * Participating in a required, unpaid medical clerkship

To work in any bussiness in the hospilatily industry, the employer will ask you for you work permit and Social Security Number.

And if you plan to work during the summer, you will spend more money that you can earn in 3 month to pay the aplication fee, lawyer fee and who knows what more.

To get information about programs for student who can work in U.S. click here:

http://careers.state.gov/student/index.html

I am very interested in your situation, and I'll keep doing some research and let you know what I find.

New User

Thanks Mirna for your interest in my situation.

Happy Valentines Day :)

New User

Blondie...

In regards to your question:
    modeling jobs?- are there a lot of modeling agencies/models?

There are a slew of them.
    After many years of modeling and dealing with the vast majority of seedy bookers.
    Wilhelmina Models are the most professional.
    http://www.wilhelminamiami.com/flash.html
    make sure you have a portfolio to show them and some polaroids as well.

If you need any assistance, let me know.
    Also, if you do get with an agency; they can also help finding you a local job to help ensure you have an income.

Good Luck

New User

Default Re: Finding job as a waitress in Miami

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Blondie...

In regards to your question:
    modeling jobs?- are there a lot of modeling agencies/models?

There are a slew of them.
    After many years of modeling and dealing with the vast majority of seedy bookers.
    Wilhelmina Models are the most professional.

make sure you have a portfolio to show them and some polaroids as well.

If you need any assistance, let me know.
    Also, if you do get with an agency; they can also help finding you a local job to help ensure you have an income.

Good Luck
    Hi,

Thank very much for your comment. It help me to think about for my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

Hi Chu,

Are you looking for a modeling job?

New User

Hi,

I agreed with you. Any way, your points of view make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Pls try to keep posting. Tks and best regards

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    Hi Chu,

Are you looking for a modeling job?
    Apart from that, this link below may be useful: interviewquestionsandanswers.biz/restaurant-hostess-interview-questions/

Rgs