Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Restaurants Off The Beaten Path

Ive noticed that every time I go to eat anywhere in Sobe im not at all impressed with the food. Are there any recommendations of places to eat that are in the area (preferably walking distance or a short cab ride). Im visiting next year for WMC again and id like to have a couple places to try out.

Thanks!! :)

La Marea in the Tides Hotel is not off the beaten path but it's worth sticking on the path for!!

SOOOOO GOOD.

Another new fav. that I tried the other day was Alta Cocina right next to Sunset Place (South Miami), that would def. be a taxi ride.

Suzanne C

Better than any pizza, IMO, is San Loco.

Cool little hole-in-the-wall with awesome food. Place is really small with only 3 tables but it's awesome and a cool celeb watching spot too. Just check out their wall of famous visitors.

Where have you gone to eat kittyhead?

I agree with Suzy, we are all about San Loco which actually is now called T-Mex. I always forget the name. The chicken burritos are AWESOME.

Also worth trying is Rice House of Kabob. Gus and I tried it the other day. It is Persian cuisine and is filling and delicious. The address is 1318 Alton Rd., Miami Beach.

I mean, in South Beach any path that has a restaurant is more beaten than aChinese protester. So I'm guessing you mean maybe places that aren't hyped up?

I'm a big fan of Sum Yum Gai (silly name, but good food) on Washington. Free all you can drink draft beer some nights if you spend $15 each on food.

Also, not sure if you have been to Lime Mexican Grill on Alton, but that place is pretty friggin good. Big Pink is also delicious on 2nd and Collins, but I think the secret is out on that place.

Le Sandwicherie across from Macs Club Deuce is a nice French sandwich shop. A good break from the glut of Cuban sandwiches.

Lime... mmmm... my weakness.

Mexican makes me think of Michelle.... Everyone in the office should know why!

Michelle: "I'm getting hungry, what do you want to eat?"
    Kristine: "I'm not even going to answer because I know what you want!"
    Michelle: "What's the new name for San Loco?, I always forget."

My final answer is always:

"Order whatever but with a side of guacamole!"

lol

That's great that Persian food has come to South Beach. I love me some ghormeh sabzi!

My favorite South Beach restaurants are Cafe Charlotte (Argentine/Venezuelan), Iron Sushi and for a little splurge, Chocolate.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

When I think of restaurants in Miami that are off the beaten path, the first place that comes to mind is Hy Vong on SW 8th Street.
    We left thinking what a great experience it had been on so many levels—the customer interaction was so sincere and outgoing that I had to pinch myself a few times to make sure I was really in Miami. And the food was not only delicious, but so healthy that I made a resolution to seek out Vietnamese cuisine more often. And when you're in South Florida, you can do no better than Hy Vong!
    Hy Vong Restaurant: A Little Vietnamese Heaven on SW 8th St.

i like la folie on española way... even though the service is usually pretty slow.

I've heard nothing but great things about Hy Vong. I've had it on my "must try" list for years now and have never made it.

That San Loco sounds like a place I have to try. Mexican food is love.

Just South Beach? Here are a few recommendations, though not necessarily "off the beaten path".

Oh, Mexico; Penn & Lincoln - great Mexican/Tex-Mex food.

Lucky Strike; Michigan (I think) just north of Lincoln - yes, I know it is a bowling alley. They still have great food, good service and reasonable prices.

11th Street Diner; 11th and Washington - it's a given

Hosteria; Espanola - such good Italian

2nd vote for Chocolate, if it is still open.

Lime on Alton. Fresh Mex, very affordable.

Raleigh hotel. Now, admittedly, all I have ever had there is their hamburgers, served way in the back, east of the pool, but it was SO good. Nice, chill Friday happy hour spot.

Here's a funny one. During special events, the South Seas breaks out the grill and does hamburgers, hot dogs, and ribs. Very good.

Ugh... there's a bunch more, but I can't think of them offhand.