Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Default Jeffrey Chodorow's Kobe Club is closing

My old boss from Tuscan Steak, Jeffrey Chodorow, is closing down his Kobe Club restaurant in the the China Grill building. I'm not very surprised given the amount of steak restaurants in the area.

Jeffrey what were you thinking when you opened that place? You would have been better off putting the money into Tuscan Steak, or backing Maria's meatball idea.

Wish I could say I'm sorry that your business is failing, but you were not very nice to work for.

LOL gus... I had totally forgotten about Maria's meatball idea... that was truly inspired... There really are a load of steak restaurants... Steak is my favorite thing to go out to dinner for, and I went out to dinner A LOT in my time in SoBe, and still, I never made it to Prime 112... I would find a place I liked so much and just keep going back.. My favorite steak, ironically enough, was at A Fish Called Avalon before they changed the menu - the filet w/ goat cheese and the zucchini fries? Or old chef, how I miss thee... Second favorite, which I never get tired of saying, is good ole Smith & Wolensky.... I'm so going to need to take myself out somewhere in Boca when I get paid friday... I'll let you all know what I find...

Well, that was quick!

I don't think there are that many steak restaurants. Prime, Tuscan, Smiths, that all that really come to mind for dedicated steak places.

Italian is what we have too much of. Every other restaurant on Lincoln must be Italian.

Burgandy, did you mean just on the beach? I'm thinking of other steak places in So Fla, like Morton's, Ruth's Chris, Cristy's, Capital Grille...

And yes, Italian on Lincoln = overkill!

Yeah, I was just thinking here in Miami Beach. I rarely cross the bridge for dinner.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Burgandy, no doubt, South Beach has way too many generic Italian places, and the last thing I want to do is come off like a snobbish South Beach foodie, but in addition to the places you mentioned, Kobe Beef was also competing against...

- Outback Steakhouse at 5th and Washington.

- Red on Washington and 1st.

- Fogo de Chão at 836 1st Street.

...that makes 7 steakhouses in a 5 square block radius.

In this economy, it was foolish for Jeffrey to open a high end restaurant, especially called Kobe Beef.

Yesterday, we ate at Quarterdeck on Alton Road, which was pretty good, but I laughed when I saw they had Kobe beef on the menu... I think that's called "jumping the shark."

I forgot about Outback, but its more of a TGI Friday's competitor. One Kobe plate could probably feed 10 at Outback!

Red - I'll be really surprised if that restaurant survives. Poor location, visibility, signage for a restaurant. I'm sure its top notch, but it looks empty every night I walk past it. It was open for weeks before I even knew it was in there, and I live so close.

Fogo - Brazilian. Hmm, definitely a great meat place.

Speaking of Morton's Steak....have they opened the new one at 40th and Collins yet?

Not yet on Morton's on 40th. I was talking to their PR person yesterday, and they're still promoting 3 locations: Miami (Brickell), Gables and NMB.