Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Tere
    I AM kinda curious about why people are so crazy about stonecrabs. I don't notice anything special in their taste. Granted, I can only have a nibble to stay safe, but still. Am I the only one that thinks they're bland?
    For the life of me, I don't get why people get so fired up over stone crabs. They simply do nothing for me. Now give me some king crab legs and I'm in heaven! But cold, fishy stone crab claws? Nothankyouverymuch!

My husband and I have tried stone crabs twice -- the first time was at Monty's several years ago (because there was no way we were waiting in line for three hours at Joe's!) and the second time was on our last trip a few weeks ago at one of the restaurants on Ocean Drive. Yes, they're fresh, they're chilled and they're OK. But that's just it. They're just "OK".

They are by no means worth the outrageous price you pay for them. I'd much rather spend the money at Grill Fish and get a wonderful grilled fish with tasty sides than eat a chilled crab claw.

But that's just my humble opinion.

I tried them once at Billy's Stone Crabs in Hollywood, where the wait was not very long at all, but the place was packed. Honestly, I was not impressed either. As you say Maya, just OK. Actually, the gator bites were pretty tasty.

The Joe's thing strikes me more as a "scene" than anything else, as it has been around for so long and become a kind of local tradition. But I am loathe to wait in line so long for something that is nothing short of mind-blowing extraordinary -- and stone crabs are not!

I am, however, interested in making it out to Everglades City where you can eat them fresh caught in a rustic setting, no frills, and no lines. Next year!

Joes Stone Crab

Well my bf and I went on the 14th, right before they were closing for the season. As soon as I looked at the menu I decided I wanted the iceberg wedge(Once in a while I'm in the mood for that), clam chowder(it was chilly in the rest), and some stone crab claws.

The wait was one hour. We were hungry so decided we would sit in the bar area and just order some stonecrabs and spinach and artichoke dip, and then go elsewhere for dinner.

The stonecrabs arrived, the kitchen did a nice job cracking them..When we tried to pull the meat out it was sticking and impossible to eat. The were obviously previously frozen. The bf was pissed..Can you imagine people waiting in line for an hour to be served bad stone crabs? Thank goodness we didn't. I can't believe a famous restaurant like that would even serve them.

The manager came over and all he did was listen. He didn't admit they were frozen, or that they would stop serving them. Terrible!

Preferred Member

Hubby and I went there in April....no clue how famous the place was. Went on a weeknight. The wait was about 25 minutes. Hubby had the stone crab, but said he much preferred Alaskan King Crab. I had filet mignon and it was perfect. We won't go back though. NO problems with the service though....but we're quick eaters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12