Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Joe's Takeaway closed for the summer

Just came Back from Joes Stone Crab. Their takaway store will not be open this summer, they will close the end of the week. Last year they were open just no stone crabs. The main restaurant will remain open for a couple more weeks, so if you want your key lime pie for the summer better stop by this week. ps their Tiramisu is tops

So the main restaurant that serves stone crabs will only be open a few more weeks?

such is summer in a down economy :(

Yes Sungal. Stone crab season is from Oct 15th to May 15th, in the past this was the only period that the restaurant was open, this is where they make their money. As a favor to it's customers they stay open acouple of extra weeks after the season ends. You will not be able to get fresh Stone Crabs anywhere after May 15th unless they get them from the gulf but that is highly unlikely. Why the takeway isn't staying open noone knew when I asked but it is probably due to the economy. Can't wait for Oct 15th

Do you think if I try to go for dinner on the 14th it will be mayhem? Gotham Steak serves stone crabs too but sometimes they don't have them.

I should at least make an attempt. Can you just sit at the bar and eat to avoid the wait?

I like lobster better anyway..

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Thanks, Dave. It's good to know they're closing. We tell people to go there, before the tour. Guess we'll have to suggest the Starbucks, next to park.

Quote Originally Posted by sungal
    Do you think if I try to go for dinner on the 14th it will be mayhem? Gotham Steak serves stone crabs too but sometimes they don't have them.

I should at least make an attempt. Can you just sit at the bar and eat to avoid the wait?
    You can sit at the bar, but in my experience, there is always a wait, even when I was dining with the owner of Cigarette Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Thanks, Dave. It's good to know they're closing. We tell people to go there, before the tour. Guess we'll have to suggest the Starbucks, next to park.
    Yes i remember you guys recomended it.

There is a new French restaurant opening next door, which I believe is a high-end take out or dine in type of place. Its at the corner of 1st and Washington. They are just finishing a huge renovation of the entire building. Looks really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgandy
    There is a new French restaurant opening next door, which I believe is a high-end take out or dine in type of place. Its at the corner of 1st and Washington. They are just finishing a huge renovation of the entire building. Looks really nice.
    Name? Is there a menu posted yet??

I have to say, I wasn't that impressed with the service at Joe's when I went last month. The food is superb, can't fault it. But the service...they bring your food so fast just so they can turn the tables around. When you pay those prices sometimes you want a leisurely meal but they don't let you.
    Someone else I know had the same experience and a rude waiter. Apparently the waiters at Joe's make enough during the season that they don't need to work over the summer.

That's disappointing. Epicure or Wild Oats for beach picnic provisioning then!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Lucente
    I can't remember. It was very french and hard to remember! They took their temporary banner down and I don't see a permanent sign yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Lucente
    I can't remember. It was very french and hard to remember! They took their temporary banner down and I don't see a permanent sign yet.
    Tks, keep me posted.

I don't really eat seafood, save for in my california rolls.. So can someone please explain to me the apparent wonder that are stone crabs?? Why are they better than regular ones?

Not better, just different. The claws are a lot larger and meatier. I hate to tell you this, but kani (crabstick) does not really count as seafood. It's like a japanese hot dog basically. But if you don't like seafood, then that's probably why you like it.

Anyway, I'm not going to tell you should try x seafood because it's so great. I don't care for Indian food, and whenever I tell people, they say "Oh well that's bc you haven't had good Indian..I know this great Indian place..we should go." Ahhhhh!!!

rk

sungal, try South Indian :)

I've been doing some research and people on other boards have recommended these two places near Ft. Lauderdale:

Udipi Cafe - 2100 N. University Dr. / Sunrise / 954.748.5660

Woodlands - 4816 N. University Dr., Lauderhill, FL 33351, (407) 854-3330

I have yet to try them but love S. Indian food. In case you're unfamiliar it is more vegetarian and somewhat more spicy than N.Indian.

Quote Originally Posted by sungal
    Not better, just different. The claws are a lot larger and meatier. I hate to tell you this, but kani (crabstick) does not really count as seafood. It's like a japanese hot dog basically. But if you don't like seafood, then that's probably why you like it.

Anyway, I'm not going to tell you should try x seafood because it's so great. I don't care for Indian food, and whenever I tell people, they say "Oh well that's bc you haven't had good Indian..I know this great Indian place..we should go." Ahhhhh!!!
    LOL

I AM kinda curious about why people are so crazy about stonecrabs. I don't notice anything special in their taste. Granted, I can only have a nibble to stay safe, but still. Am I the only one that thinks they're bland?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast