Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Preferred Member

Default Coral Gables Restaurants

Hi all,

Since I just moved to the Gables, I would love some recommendations. I imagine venturing out further for weekend dinners, but would like some stuff closer to home.

I have tried Gables Diner for breakfast (yummy) and Lotus Garden and Versailles (technically not Gables, but close by).

I don't really like chain restaurants (please don't send me to California Pizza Kitchen....I lived in CA, been there, done that), and am really interested in $$ restaurants (under $25/plate).

Also, am really looking for a good, greasy breakfast spot.

Bangkok Bangkok for Thai. Sooooooo good.

I haven't been (yet) but I have heard amazing things about Por Fin. Usually they are expensive but they have a Miami Spice menu right now, and thus far everyone has said the menu is good.

There's an Italian cafe called Gusto Fino that does lunch. They sound a little expensive when you go, but the meat and cheese is all freshly cut, and the sandwiches are big enough to share. It's small and cozy and they are really nice. They also have good soups.

There's also a really good sushi restaurant in the Gables, (not sushi maki) but I can't remember the name of it right now... I have to ask a friend of mine

You can check out the restaurants and their menus at the bottom of this page.

http://www.coralgablesrestaurantweek.com/

I had a boyfriend in Coral Gables, but we never once went to dinner there.

Randazzo's for a lively Chicago Italian eatery.

Preferred Member

Thanks Carlos! I love italian :-)

Thanks Christina...and Sungal, thank you for the link!

Twiggers,

Let us know if there are any restaurants worth going to. When I was on the City Tour, I noticed a Houston's. It's chain so you may have been, but I love going there.
    Excellent lemondrop martinis and great hickory burger and salads.

Preferred Member

Hey Sungal,

I definitely will! I have not been to Houston's before, but there menu seems a bit like Ruth's Chris. I'd like to try it one day!

There is a new sports bar, right next to Tarpon Bend, that we really liked! Their pizza and sliders were really good!

Ortanique on the Miracle Mile. Just go, you'll see. Very good food, very MIAMI! Order the Bahamian grouper ;)

Kristine's "cheap" dining options in/near the Gables:

Anacapri is really good for Italian food. A few of us from the site went for our triple birthday (Mirna, Maria and mine) dinner in November and the food was yummy.... Just DO NOT bring a large group. Service was a little messy.

Novecento off Alhambra is good and for sure under the $25 per plate. It's THE PLACE to go on Friday's after work... it gets PACKED in the Gables location. (yes it's a chain but not many locations either... Most are in Miami and Argentina) The appetizer sampler and Novecento salad are my favorites... of course their churrasco is good as well. (yummy fries too)

La Dorada is good for Spanish food and seafood dishes. It can be moderately priced depending on what you order of course!

House of India apparently has an amazing lunch buffet (under $8)!! Katalina told me about it and I am still waiting to go. I ate at Mint Leaf one night and the basmati rice was hard... Don't sugest trying them for Indian food... It's a bit pricey just like most of them, but not worth it!

Fritz and Franz Bierhaus is a good choice for traditional German/Austrian food and beer. It's most fun on nights that a sporting event is playing bc it gets packed and fun!

If you're ever in a nerdy college karaoke mood, visit Titanic by UM... I had a lot of fun there. Lots of really good beers on the menu and greasy food. There was people of all ages there so no it's not just drunk UM kids singing!

Greasy breakfast try Sergio's on Coral Way... Cuban places are as greasy as it gets! lol

For a really good steakhouse at a reasonable price you should try Angelo and Maxie's (only two locations, Miami and NY). Nothing on the menu passes over like $31 and it's in a beautiful hotel in Coconut Grove, The Mayfair.

If you need a quick bite and maybe want a sub... try Jimmy Johns on the Mile. I love it...

Preferred Member

Mmmm I love Jimmy John's!!!!

Thank you for all of those restaurants Kristine! I think the goal is to try and do at least one meal per week in the Gables and then venture out to other areas of the city one other night! There are just so many great food options in Miami.....nothing like the awful place I lived in IN.

yeah Miami really does have a lot of amazing places to dine out. bon appetite :)

Twiggers, if you like Mediterranean food and you want to have a nice dinner out, I recommend Maroosh (223 Valencia, Coral Gables). Here's a write-up I did a while back. It can be splurgy or thrifty, depending on what you order. The food was delicious!

New User

I used to work at 2 Alhambra and Novecento is definite a thumbs up.

Other great locations are the salad place behind Alhambra, name starts with a G. Salads are amazing and they have like 50 to choose from.

Some other Gables favs are Tarpon Bend and Gables Dinner. Also check out Taco Rico near the University of Miami on US 1. The place is a complete whole in the wall but the food is amazing. Great Mexican.

And don't sleep on the chain restaurants that aren't readily available elsewhere in the city (e.g. Jimmy Johns). Great sandwiches for a recession budget at lunch time.

Miami B
    Miami B Concierge Service
    http://TheMiamiB.com

Twiggers,

Houston's is not a steakhouse...much more varied menu than Ruth Cris, and not as upscale or expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Miami B

Other great locations are the salad place behind Alhambra, name starts with a G. Salads are amazing and they have like 50 to choose from.

Some other Gables favs are Tarpon Bend and Gables Dinner. Also check out Taco Rico near the University of Miami on US 1. The place is a complete whole in the wall but the food is amazing. Great Mexican.

And don't sleep on the chain restaurants that aren't readily available elsewhere in the city (e.g. Jimmy Johns). Great sandwiches for a recession budget at lunch time.

Miami B
    Giardino's. Great place!

Red Koi on Miracle Mile is a great sushi/Thai place. I go there a lot. Le Boudoir can be pricey, but their sandwiches are really good.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Tere
    Quote Originally Posted by Miami B

Miami B
    Giardino's. Great place!

Red Koi on Miracle Mile is a great sushi/Thai place. I go there a lot. Le Boudoir can be pricey, but their sandwiches are really good.
    Bingo, Giardino's, that's the place. I used to get the "Big Apple" salad. Thanks Tere for reminding me of the name.

If you haven't tried any Colombian places, there's La Moon at 1930 Ponce De Leon and Al Carbon at 2280 Coral Way. Their hot dogs is the way to go although Al Carbon's burger has a good distinctive flavor.

-BB

Hey Burger Beast,

Have you had a burger at Houston's? I thin they're great, second only to Cheeseburger Baby!!

I liked Houston's Burger because all of the toppings were fresh and the bun was toasted. Cheeseburger Baby, no comment.

-BB

New User

Tarpon Bend! Best fried calamari I've had in South Florida.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast