Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Kafa Café Ethiopian Food in Midtown Miami

Hey everybody! I just published a review of this great little Ethiopian restaurant in midtown Miami over at Sex and the Beach.
    Kafa Café is just east of the tracks in midtown, on the periphery of the Design District. While the locale is small and unassuming, the food is far from it. I like to think my palette is sophisticated, but not jaded enough, to ever tire of such bold flavors. Even Thai, which I love, seems to pale in comparison.

Ebe told me he hired and flew in a cook from Ethiopia to oversee food preparation, though members of Ebe's family, including his co-owner sister, are involved in running the restaurant. Dry ingredients, such as beans, spices and teff, the grain that makes Injera bread, also come from the mother country.
    I love this restaurant because it's family run, the food is great, inexpensive and the whole deal is unpretentious. They also do things to help support the community. We need more places like this in Miami.

Also, it's located right off the Biscayne Blvd exit on I95 the causeway extension to Miami Beach. It's easy to get to and parking is free.

On a side note, there used to be a restaurant called Sheba in the Design District, but it closed. The website says they were supposed to re-open in Hollywood, but I believe that hasn't happened yet. So, as far as I know, Kafa Café is the only place that serves Ethiopian food in our neck of the woods.

Have you tried Ethiopian food? Do you like it?

I love love love Ethiopian. When Sheba closed I was so sad bc it was amazing but then Brad actually mentioned it a WHILE back and I had been wanting to try it since then. One evening I asked Santana where she wanted to go for dinner and we ended up at Kafa and loved it! The both of us ate for $15 and looooved it. We then went to the 55th St. Station and again.... fell in love.

I saw on Twitter that you mentioned doing a tweetup there... I say we do it! I can walk there :)

Great review! I love Ethiopian food and will definitely be checking this place out. I could eat that sponge bread all day. Mom and pop community oriented restaurants are the best and deserve support. Slightly off topic, I've been to 4 of the 6 or 7 Ethiopian places here in Chicago, and the women are by and large incredibly beautiful. Not that that should be a motivator, just an observation.

Kristine -- yes, a tweetup hopefully in July, if not August!

Nefro -- well, you know ... "you are what you eat" ;-) And yes, I agree, mom & pop places deserve a lot of support, especially when they're providing great food at decent prices.

Kafa is one of those... Once everyone goes and tries it, they'll see why Maria's review was such a great/positive one.

Santana had never tried Etiopian food before, Kafa was her first experience. She didn't take fancy to the spongy bread, but she did enjoy everything else we ordered... and I still can't believe the both of us ate from one plate for $15.

When I asked if there was such thing as a traditional Ethiopian dessert she told me no. They actually had tiramisu that night. lol.... Is it true that there are no sweets in Ethiopia!?

Hmm, Kristine, I'm not sure ... something I'll ask the next time I go. I don't usually eat sweets so I never cared to inquire. The Ethiopian honey wine is VERY sweet.

I will actually be there soon to try their regular breakfast/lunch menu.

Ooo honey wine. Sounds like the Japanese Plum Wine if you say it's really sweet!

I have never tried Ethiopian food before but I must say I'm intrigued- especially after reading Maria's review!

New User

Default Re: Kafa Café Ethiopian Food in Midtown Miami

Too bad Kafa went out of business, they were a nice place.