Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Restaurant for CELIAC

Can anyone suggest me a restaurant for celiac people?

Thanks

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi temis, welcome to Miami Beach 411.

I had to define: celiac

Coeliac disease (also called celiac disease, non-tropical sprue, c(o)eliac sprue and gluten intolerance) is an autoimmune disorder characterised by damage to all or part of the villi lining the small intestine. This damage is caused by exposure to gluten and related proteins found in wheat, rye, malt and barley, and to a lesser degree in oats.
    I'd be happy to suggest a restaurant.

What type of foods are good for people who suffer from this condition?

Preferred Member

I am actually wheat intolerant my self, and i am happy to say that almost all the restaurants in Miami Beach will be able to accommodate your needs. I dont think many of these restaurants will display those allergies on their menu, but if you know what you cannot eat you, should be able to choose wisely.

Of course you want to stay away from pastas, pizzas, breads, and other things like that. But you can always have sea food, steaks, chicken, salads, mashed potatotes and other million things without gluten.

Hope this helps

Muffin

New User

Hi Muffin and Gus,

thanks for the welcome and the replies.

I can eat meat or fish or salads, but is important to know if there are restaurants informed about celiac desease because of the "contamination" (even a small amount, like 10 grams of flour, had caused me problems).

I'd like to know if there's a list of those restaurants. Can you help me?

Thanks for all.

temis

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

are restaurants informed about celiac desease because of the “contamination” (even a small amount, like 10 grams of flour, had caused me problems).
    I worked in a restaurant in South Beach for 5 years and never heard about the condition before.

I suggest speaking with the Manager, or really making sure the server understands how important it is.
    This damage is caused by exposure to gluten and related proteins found in wheat, rye, malt and barley, and to a lesser degree in oats.
    Muffin, from your experience, are there any dishes that a person/server/cook might not expect to include these ingredients?

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Muffin, from your experience, are there any dishes that a person/server/cook might not expect to include these ingredients?
    i just think it's up to the one ordering to be smart and make sure they know what they can eat. There are 0 restaurants in South Beach that will have a menu for celiacs only. But if you tell their chefs they will be able to recommend probably 75 percent of their dishes. Just stay away from flours, pastas, fried fish that has been battered, etc. They will be ok.

Muffin