Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Will The Forge ever re-open?

I had never been to this place when it was open; but, have heard much about it.

I had thought I read that there were plans to re-open.

Does anyone have an update regarding what's going on there??????

Thanks!

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

I called the restaurant..no answer, no message, nada.

It was telling, when the owner closed the restaurant and listed his home for sale the same week.

I doubt The Forge will open again.

I think your right Gus. But the interesting part is that Mr Malnik is still seen in town, some upkeep appears to be ongoing at the resturant, the website (in a unfinished way) remains active, and no for sale notices about the resturant have been posted.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

I asked my husband about this (he is a restaurant consultant) and he said if there are no forclosure notices and there is upkeep being done, they are probably riding out the recession and will re-open with a bang.

Of course this is subject to several things such as how much the Malniks have the business mortgaged for, do they own the building, how much cash they have and whether or not it is a vanity project.

If the Malniks are as wealthy as they appear to be, and as famewhorish as they seem to be (disclosure I do not know them but have met the son a couple of times so they could be the nicest people on the planet) I'd bet they are riding out the storm.

However, you know what they say about opinions.

Very nice insight! Thank you!

Last week, someone posted here a web site that listed buisiness, violations, permits, etc. In that site, I notice a permit for a 'major remodel,' of The Forge.

As I drove down 43rd st the weekend, I notice the forge building with major screening indicative of serious work going on behind the curtains.

To me, this would suggest an eventual re-opening.

Has anyone heard anything new?

Gus

Fred, I spoke to Martha over at The Forge. She told me, yes, they are under construction and are trying to re-open by the end of February.

Stay tuned!

(Now that you've conquered the social media space, guess we can add "restaurant sleuth" to Ferd Garvin's bag of "tricks")

When I was in South Beach (we didn't make it up to Mid Beach) I was told by a couple of people The Forge had already re-opened. What did they know?

I wonder what they are remodeling? All that fabulous Tiffany stained glass? The mahogany wood?

Perplexing.

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels
    I wonder what they are remodeling? All that fabulous Tiffany stained glass? The mahogany wood?
    Funny, I asked Martha these exact questions, but she would not divulge anything, which led me to believe they are not on schedule.

Everyblock.com shows that they applied for an extensive remodeling plan review on September 22, 2009, and it was approved with provisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels
    Funny, I asked Martha these exact questions, but she would not divulge anything, which led me to believe they are not on schedule.

Everyblock.com shows that they applied for an extensive remodeling plan review on September 22, 2009, and it was approved with provisos.
    The Forge isn't the Delano or any of those other stark white minimalist places. I hope they don't ruin the place.

Thanks so much for the update Gus!

Fred, earlier today I was listening to a radio interview on WLRN about local tourism and one of the guests said it would reopen in a month. The guest was a big wig in the local hospitality/hotel business.

That scaffolding with the screen that Fred Garvin speaks about was there last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Fred, I spoke to Martha over at The Forge. She told me, yes, they are under construction and are trying to re-open by the end of February.

Stay tuned!

(Now that you've conquered the social media space, guess we can add "restaurant sleuth" to Ferd Garvin's bag of "tricks")
    thanks Gus!.............................................. ........................LOL!

Thanks Carlos!

Gus

While news about The Forge's relaunch has been slowly trickling in (such as the hiring of Dewey LoSasso as the head chef), owner Shareef Malnik has been tight-lipped about the legendary eatery's extreme makeover. It's a marketing strategy he stands by, as he doesn't want to ruin the surprise of the official unveiling, which will happen sometime at the end of February.
    Dewey was the chef at Tuscan Steak. He's a super awesome guy!

I'm glad it is being remodeled. The women's bathroom always reminded me of Scarface somehow. I would expect to see a Michelle Pfeiffer snorting coke in there. It was so dated!

I thought it was always over hyped. My girlfriend at the time would go every Wed night with her other GFs. Eat steak dinners, top shelf wine, and free drinks all night - all for free. All paid for just to sit and look pretty. Week after week. I didn't see how that was so sustainable.

I was very impressed with what Mr Malnik said in his MNT "interview" (advertisment). He clearly saw the proliferation of new 'steak' resturants in miami beach and wanted to get ahead of the curve with a new image. This is quite a risk in that the image of the old forge (good or bad) still has a certain cache and would always attract a group of people. Perhaps what todd was mentioned was getting to be a problem, yet based on what I've read (i've never been to the forge), being around beautiful people was one reason people went to the forge.

Based on his comments, it appears Mr. Malnik hopes to position the 'new forge' to attract a fashonable crowd by becoming 'cutting edge.' Time will tell.

If he makes it affordable it's going to screw up my South Beach on $5,000 A Day advice!

coach reported he heard they won't be re-opening due to lack of sufficient funds---anyone else hear this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast