Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Thread: Fish Markets?

Default Fish Markets?

Hey everyone!

Just wondering if anyone knows of a fish market to get local, affordable fish? My husband and I are starting to eat less other meats and looked at the seafood at Publix but it seems to be the same variety as we had on the West Coast and same prices if not more. Is there anywhere to buy some local snapper, baracuda, trout etc?

Thanks!-laura

Bahamas Fish Market is great!!

Just thought I would mention that I found in Haulover Park Marina area that the fishing trip guys often sell their day's catch of fish for a great price! Fresh! -laura

Laura, I always wonder this, too. No fish markets in a coastal town? Where are the wharfs? Where are the open beds of ice with whole fish still flopping from the days catch? From what I can tell, they all got taken over by the shipping and cruise ships.

Good info on Haulover, definitely want to check that out.

There is also a fresh fish stand at the Redlands Flea/Farmers Market, but that's pretty far. Whole fish on beds of ice. You can buy it whole or they will filet it for you.

Awesome. I kinda want to check out the Redlands market anyway. I love buying fish right out of the boat so to speak! I guess it was growing up in Seattle. The haulover guys were selling a whole snapper that was a pretty good size for about $6. You could probably bargin with them if you wanted, but compared to Publix where you get two small filets, thats not bad! And its not frozen! I will keep my eyes out for more and let ya know what I find...laura

I'd shy away from local fish for awhile. Plenty of vultures takinng advantage of trout turning belly because of ulcers caused by recent freezes. I witness this every morning around the lakes of my cfl neighborhood. I understand, even local ( sfl) open water fish suffered dearly during the freeze. Plenty of sick fish floating on low energy around the peninsula. Having said that, It would be tough to turn down a dolphin fish this evening at the Islamorada Fishing Company. Sadyl enough, I won't have that dilema at supper time.

Hi Laura! Thanks for the tip on Haulover. There are a few party boat charter fleets out there. I'm guessing that's where the fish is coming from. Pretty much anywhere where there is a party boat or charter fleet could potentially be a good place to buy fresh caught fish.

Coach, we do have some great fish markets ... on the Miami River! Check out Garcia's or Casablanca's. There is also a lobster place that's open in season (can't remember the name now, but it's across from the Miami River Inn.) Garcia's and Casablanca are great places to eat on site, too. (Casablanca used to be on Watson Island, but was unfortunately displaced by the Miami Children's Museum. It used to be great to go there on Sundays and have fresh ceviche while sitting on the dock. Rustic, but awesome.) Just so you know, the fish is caught in the Atlantic, not the river. It's brought in every day.

There is also a fish-off-the-boat area at the public Key Biscayne Marina, just after the Bear Cut bridge.

Under the Sun, I don't believe our fisheries have suffered like in CFL. Besides, trout is not commercially harvested here. Most of the local fish is caught way out from the bay in the Atlantic anyway, which is a different situation than the gulf.

You're right about the trout aspect. That slipped in, It was actually bass.
    Weeks ago I read in the Herald about the stench of dead bone fish in the Everglades.

Having said that, Fish Markets are a cool way to kill time and enjoying oneself. I love Garcia's and took note of other the other places for the future.

This is not about fish markets but if you like fish, I have to tell you Jaguar in Coconut Grove is incredible. They make these amazing ceviches where the fish and seafood is cooked in citric acid from lemon. The flavor of the fish is fresh, with only a light sauce to accompany it. It's also very tender. My boyfriend and I had two ceviches and a seafood salad. It was a feast and a very healthy way to enjoy the bounty from the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    This is not about fish markets but if you like fish, I have to tell you Jaguar in Coconut Grove is incredible. They make these amazing ceviches where the fish and seafood is cooked in citric acid from lemon. The flavor of the fish is fresh, with only a light sauce to accompany it. It's also very tender. My boyfriend and I had two ceviches and a seafood salad. It was a feast and a very healthy way to enjoy the bounty from the sea.

This thread shows that: There is always a hunger for a good fishmonger!

(sorry, could not resist!)