Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Best Cuban Sandwich?

I know, I know, there are probably numerous threads relating to Cuban Sandwiches, but I couldn't find anything about Enriqueta's Sandwich Shop. Yelpers LOVE this place. I'll have stop in and see what the buzz is about.

Default Puerto Sagua

I like the one at Puerto Sagua at 7th and Collins. They make it the original way with pork, ham, swiss, pickle, and a little mustard. Great sandwich. Great bread. Some places do weird stuff like add mayo or salami, which just takes away from it. Believe it or not, I had a great one poolside at the Raleigh Hotel. But, they add salami, so get it no salami...unless you really like salami, ... but it can overpower the rest of the great sandwich.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by GandJ View Post
    I like the one at Puerto Sagua at 7th and Collins. They make it the original way with pork, ham, swiss, pickle, and a little mustard. Great sandwich. Great bread. Some places do weird stuff like add mayo or salami, which just takes away from it. Believe it or not, I had a great one poolside at the Raleigh Hotel. But, they add salami, so get it no salami...unless you really like salami, ... but it can overpower the rest of the great sandwich.

Glenn
    I've had them there to. Good stuff. The best I've had in FL by far is at Columbia Restaurant in Sarasota. They also have other locations in FL, but not in SFL.
    Don't ever order it at Bongos. Totally sucks.

There's a little cafeteria on Lincoln near Washington (next to the CVS and taco place), and they have tasty Cuban sandwiches.

You need to get off the beach and into the mainland to have a good Cuban sandwich.

Try Latin American Cafe on Southwest 57th Ave just south of Eighth Street.

Also try Sarussi's, which is not your typical Cuban sandwich but worth checking out.

Here are a couple of articles.

Sarussi’s Secret Sauce Keeps Sandwiches Selling - Miami Beach 411

Cuban Food Basics You May Not Know - Miami Beach 411

My personal fave is the Fernandez Fruit Market (1407 Washington). I love this little Cuban grocery. It is soooo Miami Beach, from its tropical fruits to its empanadas. They have communal sitting and you can kick back with your delicious Cuban sandwich, cafe con leche and mango carrot juice while you chat with a fascinating melange of snowbirds, Latin American tourists, lotto-crazed seniors, and the SoBe party set. It's open all night long. There's even a Dominican guy named Jimenez that pops in every morning with a shopping cart of coconuts that he's just picked off the palms in Lummus Park. You could write a whole book about the characters in this place.
    Last edited by Doug; 04-09-2010 at 01:08 AM.

Carlos -

I've tried a few Cuban sandwiches off the beach, but still haven't found one better than Puerto Sagua. I will give Sarussi's a try. I got hungry just reading the artilce. Nice job!
    The Cuban sandwich at Casavana is pretty good, too. Casavana is a small chain (maybe 3 or 4 of them?) of small family style Cuban restaurants in the area.

http://www.casavana.com/home.html

Casavana - Locations

The one I am referring to is the one down in Coral Reef at 136th Ave and 152nd St., a couple miles south of Tamiami airport.
    The best Cuban sandwich I ever had was at the old "Manny and Isa's" in Islamorada, but that's way off the grid, and Manny and Isa retired about 5 years ago. They were also famous for growing their own key limes for Isa's key lime pie. I really miss that place. It was a regular stop heading down the keys.

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 04-09-2010 at 02:12 AM.

Carlos , I might try my first fritas today. What was the name of the place you recommended in Coral Gables ? If you have a SoBe sugestion, I'd listen to that as well.

Thanks in advance.

New User

Fernandez Fruit Market sounds GREAT! I'll have to add that one to my list of places to go to. I'm a sucker for tropical fruits. I'm a Filipina who grew up eating so many delicious fruits that, sadly, you can't get in the DC area.

New User

Default Best Cuban Sandwich?

The cuban sandwich originated there. I live somewhat close to Tampa and I'll probably be driving up that way soon, and I'd like to try a pressed cuban from the birthplace of the sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Sun View Post
    Carlos , I might try my first fritas today. What was the name of the place you recommended in Coral Gables ? If you have a SoBe sugestion, I'd listen to that as well.

Thanks in advance.
    For fritas, you need to try out El Mago de Las Fritas on SW Eight Street, just west of Red Road, which is 57th Ave.

Default David's Cafe...not as good as Puerto Sagua. On to Sarussi's next.

I'm in South Beach now (Janet flies in tonight). I just tried David's Cafe for a late lunch. I had the Sandwich Cubano. It is made the standard way ..... ham, pork, swiss, pickles, mustard. Not bad, but I think Puerto Sagua a few blocks south of it, is much better. The bread at David's was not as fresh, and the meats just tasted better at Puerto Sagua. Of couse, the meat taste can be subjective.
    While here, I want to try Sarussi's on Calle Ocho, which Carlos suggested. It sounded great from his write-up.

I might try David's again, as it is supposed to be pretty good overall, but will get something other than the Sandwich Cubano.

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 04-23-2010 at 04:35 PM.

If you go to Sarussi's, stick with "El Original", which is the original sandwich. They've since added different types of sandwiches but the original is the best.

Okay - I just picked up Janet at MIA, and we stopped at Sarussi's on the way to SoBe. We both got an 8" original. They just make a 16" and cut it up. It was very good! It is as Carlos described. It is hard to compare to other Cuban sandwiches. It is so different, as it has the sauce, and it is oven baked rather than pressed. However it is classified, it is good for what it is. Worth the trip for this great sandwich.
    As for the sauce, Janet and I do think it might have dill pickle puree in it. We can taste it. Maybe they just add pickle juice? Probably a mix of tomato, mojo, and pureed pickles or pickle juice. ??? Very good!

Great recommendation, Carlos.

Glenn and Janet

Default Re: Best Cuban Sandwich?

Quote Originally Posted by From NoVa View Post
    I know, I know, there are probably numerous threads relating to Cuban Sandwiches, but I couldn't find anything about Enriqueta's Sandwich Shop. Yelpers LOVE this place. I'll have stop in and see what the buzz is about.
    Latin American "El Original" is back, you need to try this. I've got a couple of pics up on my site:

Cuban Sandwich at "El Original" Latin American

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBeast View Post
    Latin American "El Original" is back, you need to try this. I've got a couple of pics up on my site:

Cuban Sandwich at "El Original" Latin American

That's not Coral Gables, that's Miami.

Unhappy

I read an article in the Food & Dining section of the New York Times, within the past year. I tried to search but can't find it. A foodie was in in search of inexpensive, good Cuban food that the locals eat. At the airport he noticed that all the taxi drivers ate at similar authentic places right near the airport. He joined them for a few meals and gave his recommendations. I think everyone here would enjoy the article, but I'm sorry I can't find it.

It might be the Latin American Cafe on 42nd Avenue that they were talking about. That's near the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller View Post
    It might be the Latin American Cafe on 42nd Avenue that they were talking about. That's near the airport.
    2 good ones near the airport are La Rosa and El Caribe.