Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sabor A Peru - Homestyle Food, Great Prices in Biscayne Corridor

I don't know what's happening to the Biscayne Corridor (besides awful construction on the thoroughfare), but right now there are at least three Peruvian restaurants within a few blocks of each other.

This is actually a good thing, because it's one of my favorite cuisines. A few days ago I went to Sabor de Peru (A Taste of Peru) upon the recommendation of Grace from Miami Culinary Tours. She was spot-on about what a great deal this place is - HUGE portions of seafood dishes at reasonable prices.

The first thing you'll note when you walk into this small eatery is the aroma of seafood that has been cooking all day. Maybe a hint of saffron is there, though I'm not sure that's used in Peruvian cooking. Regardless, my nose was enticed before anything touched my palette.

My friend had a basic ceviche and I ordered a sofa-king size seafood soup, each under $15. We shared potatoes a la huancaina as an appetizer, which is basically boiled potatoes in this rich, spicy cheesy sauce that is somehow not overly cheesy.

My soup was delicious, steaming tomato-based broth full of fish chunks, mussels, shrimp and squid. Everything was tender except for the squid, but it was still not as tough and overcooked as it could've been. I could not finish the soup, it was that rich. And my friend had leftover ceviche too.

This soup could very well be a new comfort food for me!

I hope on learning more about Peruvian cooking this weekend with Peruvian-born Chef George Montes who runs some very fun cooking classes in Davie. Maybe I'll be able to tell you what exactly goes into these staple Peruvian dishes. Stay tuned for more posts!

Sabor a Peru
    2923 Biscayne Blvd Miami, FL 33137-4121
    (305) 573-9637
    Free parking in rear lot for restaurant patrons

Default Picture of our repast

Name:  peruvian food miami.jpg
Views: 3055
Size:  66.1 KB

I like my cuye bien tostado.

Name:  cuye.jpg
Views: 2565
Size:  10.4 KB

Maria - Did you notice it on their menu ?

Peruvian restaurants are everywhere, I've noticed.

It's interesting because there are many more Colombians than Peruvians living down here but many more Peruvian restaurants than Colombian.

Default Re: Sabor A Peru - Homestyle Food, Great Prices in Biscayne Corridor

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Sun View Post
    Maria - Did you notice it on their menu ?
    LOL UTS, no ... cuye is not served at this restaurant. I think that's only served in Peru and probably only in certain locations.

Probably the most diverse of variety of food on this planet hails from Peru. They certainly know cook their potatoes 19 different ways. One of Peru's gift to the world is potatoes.

Just to Peru's north, I stayed at Oro Verde in Guayaquil, which restaurants' boast the most extensive menu in the world. Testimony of the Andean's gastronomical riches.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    LOL UTS, no ... cuy is not served at this restaurant. I think that's only served in Peru and probably only in certain locations.
    Maria, you will now have me digging for old photos preparing Cuye in Urubamba. I'll have to post it here in a day or two.

As far as serving it in only certain cities, that is true. According to some, it was served at the Last Supper. An old painting rendering just that in the San Francisco Monastery, highlights that fact. It was quite bizarre to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Sun View Post
    Probably the most diverse of variety of food on this planet hails from Peru. They certainly know cook their potatoes 19 different ways. One of Peru's gift to the world is potatoes.
    Now I'm more excited than ever to take Chef George's Peruvian cooking class!

Default Andrew Zimmern eating a cuye in Ecuador

THIS IS NOT SERVED IN MIAMI!!! Only for research and cultural edumacation here, folks.

Holy crap ! I just pulled a Dan Quayle with how I spelled potato. Consider me qualifiedenough to be a VP.

Here is a bit of potato history. Peru's main staple .... History and Origin of the Potato

That's very cool, UTS! I had no idea about the potato having so many varieties. The history of food and drink as related to human colonization and migration is so fascinating.

Maria - Come get them while they're hot ..... Imageshack - ccuy.png

Couldn't find the Cuy pics from Urumbamba. Had this from a restuarant 1/2 a block from the famous 12 corner stone in Cusco.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 07-26-2010 at 11:25 PM.

Oh UTS! You are incorrigible!

I had a great time at the Peruvian cooking class this weekend. I'll post more soon. And no, cuy wasn't served!

I'd love to sample what you learned.

We should have a peruvian meet-up. I'll serve up the Cuye, while you handle the ceviche. Then we'll wash it down with Inca Kola and some pisco sour.

Name:  inca cola.jpg
Views: 15812
Size:  95.4 KB

Let's do a Miami Beach 411 Peruvian cooking class!

Maria - I'm providing you the link of the most typical peruvian resuarant I experienced in Lima. Just for you to get some ideas.

BRUJAS DE CACHICHE

Wow, that looks good, UTS.

My radio co-host and I interviewed a GM of a restaurant in Boca today. His wife owns a Peruvian restaurant in Weston called La Perla. Another one to try!

I'm totally serious about the cooking class .. I can arrange it for us! We go, cook hands-on and then eat. We could do it as a special Miami Beach 411 group: HOMEMADE CHEFS (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - Meetup.com It's $35 pp and that includes all the food.

I can go for that Maria.

Let me know so I can hit the pet store for some guinea pigs. I'm only kidding.

New User

Default Cuy!!!

I want in on this one! Dang if I only lived closer! that cooking class looks really neat. We dont have things like that here in SC. Well not unless you want to make southern food. Which is fine but I was raised doing that.
    People still freak out when I tell them that I have cuy! I thought it was quite tasty.
    Under the sun we actually had our final group dinner there. IT was FABALOUS!!! I'll never forget the ceramy chicken salad dish wrapped in yummy savoy potato!!!
    That and teh 400 types of corn, I've never seen corn kernels so big

Aw sophgrl, too bad you're not local. Isn't the whole corn thing amazing? During our weekend dinner, we made "chicha" -- a drink from purple corn that tasted kind of like mulled wine, but had no alcohol.

UTS - I'll send you a PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast