Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Who has the best seafood and fish?

Looking for the best food?
    Fish, lobster, crab legs

Any ideas please provide...

Altamare on Lincoln and Alton is great (the new one not the old one). Nemo gets rave reviews but they have a small menu. Ola has excellent ceviches (including lobster). There's tons of seafood on the menu prepared with a "Florribbean" influence. The best stone crab claws I've had here were from Smith & Wolensky, but I'm fairly certain they're out of season.

So I think you'd be pretty happy at AltaMare, Nemo, or Ola. Report back and let us know where you went.

Hi Mark, if you're here during stone crab season (October thru May), Joe's Stone Crab (11 Washington Ave) is a must-do! It's a little pricey, but has been a local tradition since 1918! If the tables are too busy, I recommend getting the take out service.

For good seafood, one of my faves is Grillfish (1444 Collins).

In downtown Miami, another local tradition is La Camaronera Fish Market (1952 W. Flagler). This is more of a daytime option, as the hours are 8 am to 5:30 pm Monday thru Saturday, and 10 am to 4 pm on Sundays. They don't take credit cards, but the food is said to be delicious, fast and cheap! Here's the link:

La Camaronera - Restaurant and Fish Market - 1952 West Flagler Street - Miami, Florida 33125

Grillfish at Collins and Espanola Way is by far the best fish I've had here.

Lobster and Crab - I would highly recommend Red Steakhouse at 1st and Washington. I had the crab there a few weeks ago, and it was superb. Its already removed from the shell which makes it easy to eat as well.

Really, Grillfish?

The atmosphere is kind of plain I think but I guess they specialize in fish. Is it a chain?

Anyone been to A Fish Called Avalon on Ocean?

I haven't tried all the seafood places to give you an honest assessment, but there's a little place on SW 67th Ave and 16th ST called Disco Fish that is very popular among the locals.

My mom loves that place, so I frequently go with her.

It's very Latin-oriented but they do sell very fresh seafood.

And it's not expensive at all.

Don't expect the trendiness and haughtiness you will get on South Beach. But it's very authentic Miami.

Here are some reviews. I probably should write a MB 411 article on it.

Disco Fish - Miami, FL, 33144 - Citysearch

Disco Fish Market & Restaurant, Miami - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

http://www.yelp.com/biz/disco-fish-m...staurant-miami

Another authentic Miami seafood joint is Garcia's on the Miami River.

Garcia's - Miami, FL, 33128 - Citysearch

Default Re: Who has the best seafood and fish?

Quote Originally Posted by sungal View Post
    Really, Grillfish?

The atmosphere is kind of plain I think but I guess they specialize in fish. Is it a chain?
    It is a chain -- but the one on Miami Beach is the first one, opened in February 1994. Chains can be good, though. Fratelli La Bufala is also a chain and that's one of your favorite places!

rk

Grillfish has had a good reputation for quite a while. I don't eat seafood, but a few years back they opened a pizza place at the rear of their restaurant, named "Crust Grilled Pizza". I really liked the pizza, but unluckily they closed it down rather quickly.

I've tried one seafood place in Miami and it was a hit with me from the get go. In fact this thread has me thinkg about hitting Garcia's on the river for lunch.

Garcias Seafood Grill and Fish Market | Miami, FL | 305.375.0765

I'm not sure Grillfish could be called a chain. I think they have a DC location as well. Not sure they have another one. I wouldn't label Mr. Chows a chain because they have a few other locations in other cities. I wouldn't call Barton G a chain.

A chain I think of Fridays, PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory, and restaurants that are franchised out.

Nonetheless, every person I take to Grillfish has raved about it.

Thumbs up The Boys are Right!

Wow, my 2 favorite seafood places (not counting Joe's)!

My wife and I have been going to Grillfish since our first trip to the beach. Its a great, moderately priced, unpretenscious, no reservations place. Service can be top drawer, the food is quite good and offerers many options. I've never had a bad meal. Its certainly not a chain as Burgendy points out, but I think gets confused with Bonefish (a chain). Not 5 star dining but a good 3 to 4.

Garcia's is a hoot! Had a great lunch there between cases at Jackson Mem. where I was visiting. Aside from our original route through Overton to get there (which wasn't really that bad), everything was great! We ate outside by the river. If people have time to leave the beach, this is a place to go!

New User

Thumbs up Seafood places

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I went to A Fish called Avalon and it was amazing.
    Pricey yes but amazing. Highly recommended.

New User

i like lobster very much..

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Chicago View Post
    Looking for the best food?
    Fish, lobster, crab legs

Any ideas please provide...
    I would recommend two places; La Marea at the Tides - here please try the yellow tail snapper, you'll cry =)
    Then I would recommend that you visit El Sabor De Peru on 30th & Biscayne.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Hi Mark, if you're here during stone crab season (October thru May), Joe's Stone Crab (11 Washington Ave) is a must-do! It's a little pricey, but has been a local tradition since 1918! If the tables are too busy, I recommend getting the take out service.

For good seafood, one of my faves is Grillfish (1444 Collins).

In downtown Miami, another local tradition is La Camaronera Fish Market (1952 W. Flagler). This is more of a daytime option, as the hours are 8 am to 5:30 pm Monday thru Saturday, and 10 am to 4 pm on Sundays. They don't take credit cards, but the food is said to be delicious, fast and cheap! Here's the link:

La Camaronera - Restaurant and Fish Market - 1952 West Flagler Street - Miami, Florida 33125
    Nice! that is where I am going tomorrow!

Let us know what you think, MCT!

Exclamation Just say NO to a Fish called Avalon!

Full review to follow, but the past two nights I've been to Grillfish and A fish Called Avalon. What a world of difference! The food was ok at Avalon, but the wait staff (not the bus people) was bad, orders were wrong (several times) but that could have been forgiven.

Worst was the change in attitude when we requested the Miami Spice menu---no it was no offered. Our server seemed to become totally dis-interested. Also, the drink prices were the same that we all talk about at the expensive clubs.

Bottom line, ok food, great location, abysmal service (except bus staff), over the top drink prices, hiding of the miami spice menu, altogether what I would consider a 'tourist trap' mentality. There are too many good places around to spend money here. AVOID!

New User

Hi Mark!
    I ate last night at Oceanaire Seafood room at Mary Brickell Village, crab legs are deliocious!
    For seafood it's surely worth the visit.

The Oceanaire Seafood Room - Welcome!