Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Scarpetta at the Fountainbleau Hotel

I realize my reviews are hardly traditional, but here it goes! I think I kinda liked the spaghetti:

. . . . which brings me directly to the spaghetti. Yes, spaghetti. Simple spaghetti. Simple, yet bursting on my tongue with rich, buttery tomato sauce and fresh basil. Scarpetta's version of the classic dish makes me want to return to this luxuriously decorated oceanfront restaurant, the food on the plate reminding me that no matter how elegant a place is, that stuff I'm putting in my mouth better stick to my ribs. I loved this spaghetti so much for its comfort food quality, that all pretension was thrown out the window. Hopefully that didn't smack a fashion model sunbathing by the pool. So enamored did I become of this dish, that I thought of nominating handsome Scott Conant for hurricane season boyfriend; availed of fresh ingredients, I bet he could whip up something just as good over a sterno in the candlelight.
    Read the full review here: sex and the beach: Food: Spaghettigasms at Scarpetta

Scarpetta is doing Miami Spice until September 30th, so it's a good time to enjoy the spaghetti and some other favorites!

rk

Certainly non-traditional, but also a fun review, thanks. You're quite right about the spaghetti, my favorite Italian dish still has only the following ingredients: Spaghetti, olive oil, garlic, red pepper, parsley, salt.

Scarpetta is on my to-do list. How large are the servings?

Default Re: Scarpetta at the Fountainbleau Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    Certainly non-traditional, but also a fun review, thanks. You're quite right about the spaghetti, my favorite Italian dish still has only the following ingredients: Spaghetti, olive oil, garlic, red pepper, parsley, salt.

i triple dog dare you to join us monday night!

rk

Thanks Fred. I got all excited and was about to hit the "accept" button... when I remebered that Scarpetta is at the Fontainebleau, and no way can you be serious about going there... Maybe when they move to a new location?

It's for Miami Spice, therefore us normal folk can afford to eat there too

I agree with Maria that even the simplest dishes can be the best. (Personally I never order spagetti at a restaurant just because I can make it at home so easily, and I like using whole wheat pasta). Does Scarpetta really make their spagetti fresh? I kind of doubt it. Even the best restaurants use dry spagetthi.

Here's the recipe if you want to make it at home: I could make this in about 30 min, including cooking time and make a salad to go with it!

Scarpetta's Spaghetti with Fresh Tomato Sauce Recipe | Steamy Kitchen Recipes

It's not Olive Garden size, but definitely not microscopic either. It's more like the "paste" dish if you are having a primi piatti before and a piatti after.

When I went, we ate family style, so the pasta was shared.

Thanks Fred. I got all excited and was about to hit the "accept" button... when I remebered that Scarpetta is at the Fontainebleau, and no way can you be serious about going there... Maybe when they move to a new location?
    I have an idea. Let's kidnap you, blindfold you and then remove the blindfold once you enter the restaurant! You'd never know you were at the Fountainbleh.

I'm kidding!

Quote Originally Posted by sungal View Post
    Does Scarpetta really make their spagetti fresh? I kind of doubt it. Even the best restaurants use dry spagetthi.
    I've never heard of a serious Italian restaurant NOT using fresh pasta. Scarpetta does make it fresh and you can really taste it, which is probably one of the reasons why this simple dish is so good. A little birdie in the food biz told me that the chef buys flour from Italy from an Italian importer.

I didn't get into the raviolis much in my article, but those were as fresh as fresh can be. You could tell they were freshly made as they were very light, the sauces were clinging on to them perfectly.

Scarpetta is not the only restaurant in this region that uses fresh pasta. But that would be a topic for another thread ... I can think of three right off the bat, besides Scarpetta.

Of course most good Italian restaurants do make their own pasta. However, when it comes to spaghetti I think they use dried because doing fresh spaghetti is just too difficult.

Exclamation Re: Scarpetta at the Fountainbleau Hotel

For Maria, I would even go to the Fountain Blech! But I won't stay there and I won't leave my car! I probably will use cash as I don't trust them with my credit card.

As for you RK, did you note I skipped the triple dare and went directly to the triple DOG dare! How could you refuse!!

rk

Quote Originally Posted by fredgarvin View Post
    As for you RK, did you note I skipped the triple dare and went directly to the triple DOG dare! How could you refuse!!
    Haha, I did miss that. That's improper etiquette, you are not supposed to start out with the ultimate dare. As for refusing, it's really postponing, things were not pretty the last time I got my toungue stuck to a pole...

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    I have an idea. Let's kidnap you, blindfold you and then remove the blindfold once you enter the restaurant! You'd never know you were at the Fountainbleh.
    I assume your comment is directed towards Fred. I, on the other hand, am a sucker for large shiny buildings and don't need to be persuaded to enter them. You could almost say that P.T. Barnum was thinking of people like me when he said his most famous line.

Thanks for the info on portion sizes. I try to avoid restaurants that have gigantic portions that no one can finish and I am glad that isn't the case here.

Re. fresh spaghetti I assume they have machines for that so it should not be a stretch for any good restaurant to do it.
    Last edited by rk; 08-12-2010 at 03:13 AM.

We'll know tonight, that's for sure!

It being a Monday night, it's quite possible that there will be FREE parking in the lot next to the Eden Roc after 6 PM ... so I'm aiming for that. If they are charging $10 flat rate, then I might as well park at the FB. The hourly rate is ok.

This is on the FB website!

Celebrate summer with $7 valet
    for guests looking to eat, spa or shop
    now thru September 30
    (Validated parking will be confirmed at time of purchase. For non-in-house guests only.)

Thanks Jess for mentioning the parking deal. I had mentioned it in my blog post but not here.