Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Obama makes a pit stop at El Mago de las Fritas for a Cuban hamburger

Last year, the Burger Beast, Jake from the Miami New Times and myself embarked on a frita crawl to determine who has the best frita in Miami.

A frita is a Cuban hamburger.

We all determined that the best frita was served at El Mago de las Fritas, a little hole in the wall place on Eight Street.

We all wrote articles about it, which brought him a significant increase in business. He had never been written about before.

He was so touched that he had my article translated into Spanish and hung it up on his wall. He also hung up the English version.

He had been in that same location for 25 years. The Burger Beast decided to host an anniversary party for him at the restaurant which brought him more business in one night than he had ever experienced.

Today, President Barack Obama stopped in to the restaurant for a frita.

Not bad for a man who came from Cuba in 1979 with nothing, only to work his ass off for the next 31 years.
    Last edited by Carlos Miller; 10-11-2010 at 10:32 PM.

Default Re: Obama makes a pit stop at El Mago de las Fritas for a Cuban hamburger

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller View Post
    Last year, the Burger Beast, Jake from the Miami New Times and myself embarked on a frita crawl to determine who has the best frita in Miami.

A frita is a Cuban hamburger.

We all determined that the best frita was served at El Mago de las Fritas, a little hole in the wall place on Eight Street.

We all wrote articles about it, which brought him a significant increase in business. He had never been written about before.

He was so touched that he had my article translated into Spanish and hung it up on his wall. He also hung up the English version.

He had been in that same location for 25 years. The Burger Beast decided to host an anniversary party for him at the restaurant which brought him more business in one night than he had ever experienced.

Today, President Barack Obama stopped in to the restaurant for a frita.

Not bad for a man who came from Cuba in 1979 with nothing, only to work his ass off for the next 31 years.
    Its a great story and a smart move to try an court an ethnic group that has been largely voting republican.

Great job Carlos, on the story and also kudos to BurgerBeast (aka social media wh#%e) for getting behind a hard working American success story. Without you two, there is NO way the President visits!

Next time in town, I gotta go! (although, somehow I suspect that FredGarvin visiting is a little less impressive than the President)
    Last edited by fredgarvin; 10-12-2010 at 12:21 AM.

Default Re: Obama makes a pit stop at El Mago de las Fritas for a Cuban hamburger

That's very cool, what a compliment to you Carlos.

Carlos, it's possible a white house staffer read your article and chose it as Obama's place to go for local food. That's pretty cool!

What's Obama doing in Miami so much? First at the Fountainblu and now getting burgers!

He was with Joe Garcia, who is running for congress. Garcia is a local Cuban-American who is also my FB friend, which means he reads my articles and updates.

I imagine Garcia suggested El Mago. Whether Garcia got the idea from my article, who knows.

But it's still cool because the owner of the restaurant, whom we refer to as El Mago (the magician) is just a humble guy who works six days a week at the restaurant, then spends Sundays buying food for the upcoming week.

A lot of restaurants take it for granted when you write about them, but he was very humbled and appreciative. So was the rest of his family, whom we met.

It's also cool because for years, El Rey de las Fritas has been getting all the publicity while this guy has just been doing what he does best without any credit.

Wow, I've heard of six degrees of separation, but this is like two! That's the wonderful thing about the internet -- any article we write could influence the President himself! Congratulations, Carlos!

Man, I never even put 2 and 2 together until I saw this. Good stuff. I'm gonna go ahead and say Obama is taking your restaurant recommendations, Carlos. Let's bust that one out next time we're out.

Love the irony. While the First Lady tries to police what our kids are to eat, POTUSA never fails to stop at a local grease pit.

Might of been a good thing Dmitry didn't tag along on this one.

"Police what our kids eat?" Seriously? I mean our kids eat shit. UTS, please don't tell me thaty you're one of those people that is against whatever your opposing party does just because it's your opposing party. I mean, if Laura Bush was trying to fix school menus and get rid of sodas in schools would you really be opposed?

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Sun View Post
    Love the irony. While the First Lady tries to police what our kids are to eat, POTUSA never fails to stop at a local grease pit.

Might of been a good thing Dmitry didn't tag along on this one.

I'm sure Mr. Obama is a very healthy eater, and that can include splurges on local burgers. If you're a good eater 80% of the time, then 20% of the time you can eat whatever and I'm sure that's what he's doing.

And yes like Matt said, school lunches for kids are horrible. Usually chicken nuggets, fries, and ketchup-which according to Mr. Bush counts as a vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    "Police what our kids eat?" Seriously? I mean our kids eat shit. UTS, please don't tell me thaty you're one of those people that is against whatever your opposing party does just because it's your opposing party. I mean, if Laura Bush was trying to fix school menus and get rid of sodas in schools would you really be opposed?
    Bro - You must have consulted tea leaves if that is what you think my take is. I'm not a Republican for the record. Just a Libertarian rant on more government oversight on our personal decisions. Some schools already send parents a list of food items trhat are prohibited to bring to school. It's the beginning of a slippery slope. By the time my daughter goes to school, the x-ray machines will detect her chocolate pudding.

Sorry to go off topic a bit, as it's important that we applaud the fruits of hard labor. As a coincidence, I know of a case back home, where a cuban couple started their pastry enterprise out of their garage. Today one of my favorite places to grab a bite out west and better than any cuban bakery I've tried in Miami.

Matt - you ever been to Porto's in Glendale ? Some Useful Links | Porto's Bakery

I'll definitely have to check out El Mago next time I'm down. Have yet to try a frita.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 10-15-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: typo city

Next time you come down, let me know and we'll go grab a frita. I want to do an update now that Obama stopped in.

I bet you El Mago is gonna be packed for a while after the First Visit. I wanna try it too, but I think I'm gonna hold off a few months until the fury dies down.

Glad to get your take there, UTS. Good to hear you're not one of those "blame everything on the other party" people.

I also might stop by El Mago when I'm in that part of town.

Next time UTS is in town, let's organize a MB 411 frita outing.

Next time UTS is in town, let's organize a MB 411 frita outing.

I"m all game for that. Sometime next month looks good for me.Maybe we should all dress up as secret agents as you order your fritas.

By the way: What makes a frita a frita ?

Matt: My politics swing conservative but I stay away from social issue controversies, as I hate gov. laying heavy hands there. In many senses, I'm also liberal like most of my friends.

Hard to live that long in LA and not be.

And, yeah, we NEED to have a Frit-Up. El Mago is my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Hard to live that long in LA and not be.

And, yeah, we NEED to have a Frit-Up. El Mago is my vote.
    I'm in!

How about lunch on the 29th, friday???

Quote Originally Posted by fredgarvin View Post
    I'm in!

How about lunch on the 29th, friday???
    I'm playing in a two day pickeball tournament that weekend in CFL. You guys should go for it.

Carlos I'll invite next time I'm down. I'd like to wash down that frita(s) down with a Colombiana - la gaseosa, if it's offered.

[QUOTE=By the way: What makes a frita a frita ?[/QUOTE]

Read my : All About The Frita Cubana AKA The Cuban Hamburger

@Matt El Mago is way busier than usual but you can still find seats to eat there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast