Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Stone Crabs in Everglades City

I had stone crabs in Everglades City a long time ago. It was in a rustic restaurant by the water. The crabs were great and beer was cheap. A really good "real Florida" experience. Has anyone been there lately? Do you recommend a particular spot?

Everglades City? That's pretty much the only restaurant isn't it?

(Interesting trivia, my dad was born there. My grandfather and his 7 female cousins did a lot to found the city.)

Coach, when I googled "stone crabs everglades city" there seemed to be more than one restaurant.

Dude, are you serious? That is so interesting to me! Do you have stories passed down from the founding days? I'd love to interview you about that.

I'm driving to the Gulf Coast in a couple of weeks. Maybe on the way back I'll take Tamiami Trail and stop at Everglades City for "research"

Matt did a write up on the area not long ago.

Maria - let me know if it's worthwhile. I'm traveling same route to sanibel on the 26th.

New User

Default Re: Stone Crabs in Everglades City

Maria, I had to reply to your post... Last weekend we rode our Motorcycles (Harley's) to Everglades City. It was a beautiful journey through the 41, it was a beautiful day and the Everglades was amazing. We saw more than 50 Alligators on the water along the road and Blue Herons, Ahzingas, Egrets Turtles is was just breathtaking to watch Florida's wild nature.. When we arrived to Everglades City, we asked the locals were to eat and the guided us to a very nice place in the river with fresh fish, fresh STONE CRABS, and very friendly people..... The place is called Tria's Seafood, incredible...!

We all have to remember that Florida has so much to offer by nature....

Analou Manent

Thanks very much, Analou! I'm so glad you did reply!

I'm very tempted to follow your same itinerary! It had been my intention to stop by Everglades City on the way back from a recent trip to the Gulf Coast, but I didn't have time. I ended up taking 75 back.

You are a woman after my heart! I don't ride Harleys, but I love Harleys. My great uncle in Cuba was a champion racer and he owned the only Harley store there. It sort of runs on my dad's side of the family.

Anyway, going there on a Harley on a beautiful weather day must've been amazing.

How were the prices on those stone crabs at Tria's Seafood?

Seafood Depot is good too. Oyster House is probably the best restaurant down there, though. I drove by Tria's but it wasn'to pen when I went since it was summer.

Coach, which family are you from down there? I know there's like 5 in the whole city. That's crazy. You guys run pot too?

All of you need to check out the new Rakontur movie that they're debuting at SXSW in March called "Square Grouper." A third of it - the best third IMO - is all about Everglades City and its role in weed importation in the 70s and 80s. Really great, especially if you're a fan of the area.

My article on the place...
    Everglades City Offers Complete Everglades Experience - Miami Beach 411

Matt, I haven't kept up with Rakontur lately ... good to know!

Also Matt, didn't you write a review of Carl Hiassen's novel Nature Girl? Wasn't that set in Everglades City? Someone once told me I was as crazy about the Glades as the main character.

Square Grouper, eh? Actually that's my new favorite outdoor bar in Palm Beach County. Had drinks there in Jupiter off Jupiter Inlet/Loxahatchee River last weekend. Awesome place!!!

New User

Default Re: Stone Crabs in Everglades City

Maria thanks for your kind reply... I think the Everglades are incredible. The price of the Stone Crabs, I don't really know I did not pay, but I think it was Ok. The service and freshness was incredible.

Concerning the Harleys, I was not a motorcycler myself but my husband Patrick loves everything Motorsports, Cars, Boats and Motorcycles and I guess I just had to hop in.. But I am loving it and I am enjoying it a lot. I am even getting the dress code right.

If you love Harleys, you are welcome to join us whenever you want we are a group mostly French of about 15 on and of and we try to organize rides in Florida... weather permitting, and if we are not on a boat... But lately we seem to be riding every weekend.

Something else about the Everglades that I have to mention is: The Clyde Butcher Gallery. He is a very talented photographer, called the Ansel Adams of Florida his work (black and white) is amazing and he lives in the middle of the Everglades.

You can see an exhibit at the Fort Lauderdale Museum of Discovery & Science October 2 - January 9, 2011

And you can find more information at: Black and White Photography - Clyde Butcher

I love art and I am a big fan.

Enjoy.. Analou Manent

I did do a review of that book. Yeah, part of it is in EC. The main character is like you, but militant and crazy.

LOL Matt ... I'm definitely NOT militant though I may be a little crazy (but not like her).

Analou, thank you very much for the offer! Yes, I know about Clyde Butcher. I want to get out there one of these days to do a swamp walk.

I also want to go check out the Ghost Orchid next summer. You may enjoy this article I wrote about it: “Adaptation” and the South Florida Ghost Orchid - Miami Beach 411

I finally got around to posting about Triad Seafood!

On my way back from Tampa recently, I decided to take Tamiami Trail instead of I-75 for a stop at Everglades City, a small town in the middle of the wilderness on the gulf coast. Founded in 1924, the town is where the stone crab craze started back in the 1940's when commercial fisherman and Everglades granddaddy Loren "Totch" Brown saw not a cow, but a cash claw in what was once a nuisance critter. . . .

I started with a cup of rich shrimp gumbo, which stuck to my ribs, though I would have preferred more heat. (A bottle of Crystal sauce took care of that.) But the real deal was one pound of medium-sized stone crabs for a market price of $19.95, which was more than enough for one hungry person and boy, I do like to eat. I didn't even bother with side dishes; it's enough to dig into those claws, which are served with mustard sauce or butter, yet just as good on their own.
    Read more: sex and the beach: Stone Crabs in Everglades City

Name:  5502936215_519bb2b939.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  84.2 KB

Name:  5503775998_e6e1f3c64c.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  79.9 KB