Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New User

Default Who has the best Mojitos?

Can anyone give their opinion on what bars/restaurants have the best mojitos?

I can! Ok, Nikki Beach hands down winner as best mojitios. They've even won awards for this i think.

My other favorite place is Tapas and Tintos on Espanola Way. They do a mango one that is to die for.

Hi sbgolf,

I agree with Jess about Nikki Beach, especially if you're there on a Sunday lounging in the sun. I'm a fan of the passion fruit mojitos at Casa Tua-really refreshing. Hard to get a buzz on because there's so much fruit in the glass! If you have a chance try the mojitos at Ola.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi sbgolf, welcome to Miami Beach 411. Thanks for posting your question here.

I can also attest, the Mojitos at Nikki Beach are very good.

Ines at Miamism.com has an entire category on her site dedicated to drinking Mojitos in Miami. Here's the links...

http://www.miamism.com/mojito-411/

http://www.miamism.com/mojito-411/page/2/

But whatever you do, don't ask Matt Meltzer to make you a Mojito. He says they're the most difficult and time consuming drinks for a bartender to make.

Hope you find this stuff helpful.

As AC/DC said, "have a drink on me!"

Hi sbgolf, welcome! I usually defer to Miamism for opinions on the best mojitos, but my personal favorite are the ones at the Raleigh Hotel. Unfortunately, they can be snobbish there, but it's still a damn good mojito. Also try D. Rodriguez cuban restaurant at the Hotel Astor ... go on a night that PALO!, the afro-cuban funk band is playing. They usually serve mojitos that night for $7. PALO! MUSIC

If you like rum, don't miss the Rum Renaissance Festival next year ... probably some time in the spring.

New User

Default Re: Who has the best Mojitos?

The updated event is called "PALO! Guateque @ D. Rodriguez Cuba". It's the first Thursday of each month. What's updated? Well, $5 mojitos. Free pig. Same awesomeness as always: free admission, hot Afro-Cuban Funk, and Chef Douglas Rodriguez' incredible menu.

D. Rodriguez Cuba @ the Hotel Astor
    956 Washington Ave
    South Beach
    305-673-3763

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    Also try D. Rodriguez cuban restaurant at the Hotel Astor ... go on a night that PALO!, the afro-cuban funk band is playing. They usually serve mojitos that night for $7. PALO! MUSIC

If you like rum, don't miss the Rum Renaissance Festival next year ... probably some time in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by sbgolf View Post
    Can anyone give their opinion on what bars/restaurants have the best mojitos?
    Hi sbgolf,
    My kind of question!! WOOT to you! And thanks Gus for the reference. My take about mojitos in Miami is that it depends on your mood, the bartender's mood, the ambiance, and certain other factors. We've been to places where we ask for 2 Mojitos and get a really great one and a really bad one prepared by the same person!

Either way, some of our faves are:
    - D Rodriguez Cuba makes a killer coconut mojito (go when @GoPalo, mentioned above is playing ....Thursdays)
    - Area 31 at The Epic in downtown Miami
    - Cvi.che105 makes a really different "piscojito" made with Pisco instead of Rum
    - Flamma steakhouse in N Miami Beach (mmm mmmm mmm)
    - Larios in South Beach

But the best one is hands down at Deco Drive Cigars on Lincoln Road << I know it sounds weird, but ridiculously good with sugar cane and all! let me know what you find,
    Ines

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    But whatever you do, don't ask Matt Meltzer to make you a Mojito. He says they're the most difficult and time consuming drinks for a bartender to make.
    Ha ha! At Nikki they make it easy for the bartenders and the glasses already have the fruit and mint mixture in the glasses and pitchers.

I honestly havent ever had a bad mojito in south beach. I know some people might disagree with this, and normally I dont recommend patio restaurants on ocean drive, but almost all of those places to a buy one get one free mojito.

Now these mojitos are $25.00 a piece, but they are huge!! The glasses are as big as your head. i mean there has to be an entire lime or more cut up in there in there, a whole mint bush, AND quart of booze in each one. IF you sat there and drank both, you would pass out soon after. But the nice thing is u can buy one drink it there, and then ask for the second one in a to-go cup,and be on your merry way with another drink that could last you all night if u tried.

The very first time i went to south beach a buddy and I made the mistake of doing the 2 for 1 mojito (or any drinks) at one of the ocean drive restuarants and at the time didnt realize you could take the second one to go. I was in south beach for a total of 1.5 hours and i was already done for the day i passed out in the sand and was nearly drowned by the rising tide! lol Now I know better, but i still make it a tradition to go get the giant bogo mojitos as soon as we land and see where the night takes us. So far there have been no deaths or jail time so its been working out for me.

My favorite mojito was an iced one I had at the pool bar at the Shore Club! It was soooo good and hit the spot on a boiling summer day!

I loved the mojitos at D Rodriguez Cuba. Also the pool bar at the Loews hotel makes great mango mojitos!

Default What makes a mojito great?

How do you all define a great mojito? What makes it a great mojito? Janet likes mojitos, and she judges them by how tart they are. She does not like them them very sweet. Sometimes she'll just ask them to make it more tart by using less sweetener and more lime. I would imagine people's tastes vary, so what some call a great mojito might be a bad one (too sweet or too tart) to other people.

Glenn

I like my mojitos slightly sweet and if there's fruit in it (like mango puree) I want to taste it. I also think a good mojito has been muddled, not just poured into the glass with a sprig of mint pushed in as a garnish.

<<...." I also think a good mojito has been muddled, not just poured into the glass with a sprig of mint pushed in as a garnish"...>>

I haven't seen one yet that wasn't muddled. I can't imagine it not being muddled, ot you wouldn't really taste much mint. If some places skip that step, then that really would be a bad mojito.

Glenn

Default Re: What makes a mojito great?

Quote Originally Posted by GandJ View Post
    How do you all define a great mojito? What makes it a great mojito? Janet likes mojitos, and she judges them by how tart they are. She does not like them them very sweet. Sometimes she'll just ask them to make it more tart by using less sweetener and more lime. I would imagine people's tastes vary, so what some call a great mojito might be a bad one (too sweet or too tart) to other people.

Glenn
    I think a good mojito has the perfect balance of mint, sugar, rum, lime and fiz- definitely needs to be muddled for mint to release its essence and cannot be too strong or too sweet. Bacardi sponsored an REBarCamp I put together last year and the Bacardi pros first need to have the right formula and then can mass produce them.

My husband actually plays around with the formula and takes him 1-3 mojitos before he gets it perfect. (depends on cocktail size, glass, type of sugar, lime, etc)

Has anyone had a mojito made with Ginger Ale?

We had mango mojitos at the Delano's Florida room Saturday night. They were ok I thought. They pushed the sprig of mint into the glass at the end.

ORTANIQUE on the miracle mile in coral gables. it was voted best mojito in miami and they are REALLY GOOD!

Default Re: What makes a mojito great?

Quote Originally Posted by miamism View Post
    I think a good mojito has the perfect balance of mint, sugar, rum, lime and fiz- definitely needs to be muddled for mint to release its essence and cannot be too strong or too sweet.

Yes, and that's the key to my question. What is the "perfect balance" of those ingredients? I would guess there's probably no right answer, as it is different for different people, who all have different tastes. The tart mojito that Janet likes would not be that good for those who like it on the sweet side. But, I think we all agree it needs to be miuddled, or why even bother with the mint.

Glenn

I tend to be a purist about mojitos. When you start mixing it up with other stuff, then it's not a mojito anymore.

Ines, I must go to the cigar shop ... do you remember Condal y Peņamil on Lincoln, which was right next to the Starbucks on Meridian? I've never had a better mojito then the ones I had there. Rolando was the hot Cuban bartender. Anyway, that was also a cigar shop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast