Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New User

Default Recommendations on where to eat in Miami on Christmas Day?

We will be on holiday from the uk myself and family over christmas and new year and staying in miami, wondered if anyone can recommend somewhere authentic to eat Turkey and all the trimmings etc...

Hi Rach,
    This is a tough one you see as USA traditional Xmas day dinner is not turkey, its ham. Turkey is for thanksgiving.

Where are you staying in Miami? Mainland or the beach?

The 11th st diner in South Beach does a turkey dinner, but it isn't the poshest of restaurants, it's a cheap and cheerful diner.

I don't like ham so I wish we had turkey for Christmas. I think some families do. My family usually makes an Italian dinner with lasagna, although this year I think I'll be the one cooking. They cut out the ham since no one is interested in eating it.

Rach,

Jess invited me to celebrate Thanksgiving with her and her Aunt and Uncle in Coral Gables at the Chart House last year. We had a wonderful time. The food was delicious and even better we could sit outside and enjoy being right on the water. And it really felt like Thanksgiving- it was a fun day. They had a special turkey dinner for Thanksgiving, which leads me to believe they'll do something similar for Christmas.

What's the traditional English Christmas dinner?

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, Rach, welcome to Miami Beach 411. Thanks for posting your question here.

Are you looking for a fancy restaurant, or more something casual/affordable?

---

Jess, is Big Pink serving a turkey dinner on Christmas Day?

Traditional English Christmas meal is the same as an American one on Thanksgiving. We have turkey, but English also have brussell sprouts, roast potatoes etc, and no sweet potato or squash.

Dam...now I'm hungry

Big Pink may do it but it will be the tv dinner, that's what they did on Thanksgiving, but I wouldn't want to go there on my Christmas Day.

The Chart House is a great idea, but in Coconut Grove, so it depends on where you are staying.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Thanks Jess.

I bet Smith & Wollensky is doing something special on Christmas Day.

Since you'll be in Miami, why not a lechon, like many famalies in Miami might be spreading for Xmas.

Name:  lechon.jpg
Views: 50453
Size:  34.0 KB

We've been doing lechon for the last five years and this tradition is going to stick around for a long time. It's a hit with the anglo neighbors we invite. If you're interested, maybe Carlos Miller can suggest a restaurant nearby. I've had it La Esquina del Lechon, but that is well inside the mainland in Doral.

Hi Rach!

The traditional Cuban Christmas is celebrated on the eve of the 24th, so usually leftovers are had on the more American Christmas day of the 25th. We call it "Noche Buena" (The Good Night).

UTS is that your lechón?

However, depending on where you stay and if you will be renting a car, I could recommend a few good Cuban restaurants.

Default Re: Recommendations on where to eat in Miami on Christmas Day?

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Sun View Post
    Since you'll be in Miami, why not a lechon, like many famalies in Miami might be spreading for Xmas.

Name:  lechon.jpg
Views: 50453
Size:  34.0 KB

We've been doing lechon for the last five years and this tradition is going to stick around for a long time. It's a hit with the anglo neighbors we invite. If you're interested, maybe Carlos Miller can suggest a restaurant nearby. I've had it La Esquina del Lechon, but that is well inside the mainland in Doral.
    Eeeewww..Can we put out a warning to Jess to not view this?

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Too late!!!!!!!!

Unhappy

An invite is going right now out to Jess.

Maria - I photo shopped that one, but the one we get is just as beautiful. I've never seen it garnished with brocolli. Usually grapes and figs if I can find them. I also don't know what that sauce is about. It's already seeped in juices and ready to go. Chunche also gets first dibs on the ears. As Maria might tell you, the crispy skin is the best part.

I'd like to prepare or at least witness the preparation. We get our's in the nearby townn of Haines City.

This year however, things might be different. I recently lost an uncle in Costa Rica, so I'm bringing his wife and a couple of cousins to spend it with us. The only request I made is for her to bring tamales which is the Xmas tradition in Costa Rica and we are going to get a couple of condos and have a Disney Holiday ( not my idea ). We also have guest from the Colombian side of the family as well, so what ever meal we prepare, it will be a fushion of both cultures.

Our meal will be on the 24th - then off to the misa del gallo. Plenty of time for Santa to sneak on in.

Rach- whatever you decide, I wish you a Blessed Xmas and a scrumptous meal.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 12-02-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Default Chinese Turkey?

In the epic movie, "A Christmas Story," given all the closed restaurants, the family went to a chinese restaurant and had roast duck---aka chinese turkey!

I thought all Jewish families eat Chinese on Christmas Day.

Yes, it's Chinese and a movie.

New User

I would like to have a dinner at home

New User

Hi

I am in a similar situation, my friend and I are coming to Miami on Christmas eve, he really wants to have a "traditional" dinner - or as close to an English dinner as possible.

We will be staying around 11th street, looking for somewhere not too expensive, but as it's Christmas we know to expect it to be more than normal.

Can anyone suggest a car very style place? Or a good steak etc.

Many thanks

Martin and Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_style View Post
    Hi

Can anyone suggest a carvery style place? Or a good steak etc.

Martin and Paul
    Hi Martin and Paul! Parilla Liberty is a good Argentinian steakhouse right on Washington and 6th. If you really want to splurge, here are some pricier options: try Smith & Wollensky at South Pointe Park (most scenic, for sure) or Prime 112 on Ocean Drive (most expensive and longest wait). Further up on Collins and 40th is a Morton's Steakhouse, but you'd have to take a bus or cab.

Also, it will all depend on whether these places are open on Christmas day or not. It being tourist season I'm sure something will be open.

As was mentioned above, you should be able to get an American style dinner at the Diner on 11th and Washington.

I recommend Smith & Wollensky regardless for a drink at the outdoor bar. Go around 4ish to see the majestic cruise ships go by on the water. It's totally worth it.

Balans would be a good spot for your Christmas dinner. It's an English chain so I'm sure you'll love it! They don't have a Christmas menu posted yet but they did do a Thanksgiving menu. Here's the menu in the UK.

Christmas at Balans Café Bars and Restaurants, located in London, England and Miami, Florida.
    Last edited by Christy; 12-05-2010 at 01:22 PM.

Question Re: Recommendations on where to eat in Miami on Christmas Day?

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    Yes, it's Chinese and a movie.

Christy,

Please don't be mad at me for pointing out; but, I don't think you qualify as an expert on that particular subject!

Quote Originally Posted by fredgarvin View Post
    Christy,

Please don't be mad at me for pointing out; but, I don't think you qualify as an expert on that particular subject!
    fred, you might be right but I giggled when I read Christy's post because I know a few Jewish families that do exactly that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast