Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buying booze in Miami

After reading the "What's up with the club bashing" thread,
    this question popped in my head:
    Is it really that bad in Miami?

Note: I'm not talking about the women, the beach, .. (Can't talk bad about beautiful)

No, i'm talking about prices. More specifically for booze
    This is a guy that tells a cop to measure the blood in his alcohol when he's pulled over for an alcohol test.

But if i'm spending more than $300 to have a few drinks in the presence of a girl in a classy dress and heels, I'll think my SoBe experience will be pretty SoBer.

Just to make comparisons, here in Belgium you pay about 15$ to enter.
    Thursdays they try to get a younger crowd (students) by letting people in for free.
    A softdrink or beer is about $5-6 and a vodka-cola is around $12.
    A bottle of vodka is about $100-$120.
    In a VIP section, you'll pay about 50% extra.

In bars you pay around $1.50-3 for a beer, and $6-15 for coctails, liquor (mixed with a softdrink), ..

It could be cheaper here because there's no actual drinking age.
    I was 16 and bought 2 bottles of smirnoff vodka (40%) at $50 in a nightshop.
    (Not a good experience though, woke up 2 days later in the hospital but that's another story)
    You could buy the same thing in the supermarket for about $35.

How are things over there?

New User

Don't get me started about those Belgian drinking stories ...

There are plenty of bars where alcohol is affordable. But if you're into those trendy clubs, you're going to get ripped off.

Default Re: Alcohol in Miami

Quote Originally Posted by hiejten tijger View Post
    Don't get me started about those Belgian drinking stories ...
    Haha I remember you walking at the side of the road in a santa suit last year, totally wasted and you were trying to stop every passing car to see if it wasn't us hahaha

Carlos is right, trendy places have over-inflated prices for everything, not just drinks.

I recommend flasking it, and just 1 or 2 drinks at the club bar.

Default Re: Buying booze in Miami

And is it the same with liquor stores for example?
    How much is a good bottle of vodka?
    (have Russian roots, so I love that stuff)
    Last edited by Verm; 12-26-2010 at 09:39 AM.

Hi Verm! If you are staying in South Beach, stock up at Walgreen's Liquor. It's WAY cheaper. You can get a 1.75 liter bottle of great vodka for under $30.

Also, if money is an issue, drink earlier! There are numerous "happy hours" around town. Club Deuce, which is a classic bar you should visit anyway, has happy hour from morning till late afternoon (7am to 7pm, last time I checked). Monty's has 1/2 off drinks from 4-7 PM and is another great place for a sunset cocktail by the marina. Zeke's Roadhouse beers are affordable there -- $4/bottle.

I've been to Europe several times and I do remember hanging out with my ex-boyfriend's nieces many years ago. They were in their teens. Basically, they said "if you can reach the counter and put money on it, you can drink." This was in Den Haag.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    I've been to Europe several times and I do remember hanging out with my ex-boyfriend's nieces many years ago. They were in their teens. Basically, they said "if you can reach the counter and put money on it, you can drink." This was in Den Haag.
    Haha yeah.. You gotta love the european mentality when it comes to these things.
    The downside is that 14year old girls who look a bit older, get into clubs and drink themselves into a coma, an STD or a pregnancy.

Seriously, if some of the people on this forum are up to it, we could hit some of the bars mentioned above in group

Thanks for the advice by the way, this was exactly what I was looking for!
    More of this wisdom please

I'm always up for meeting our friends from around the world ... when are you guys here?

I'm always up for meeting our friends from around the world ... when are you guys here?
    march 20 - april 2

New User

Hi Verm! If you are staying in South Beach, stock up at Walgreen's Liquor. It's WAY cheaper. You can get a 1.75 liter bottle of great vodka for under $30.
    I hear from bartenders and vodka drinkers that Skyy is just as good if not better than a lot of the expensive brands when chilled, and it can be found for $20 as a 1.75 litre. Also a Bjs/Costco/Sams liquor store is usually a few dollars cheaper and you don't need a membership to buy from. Notice the different entrances next time you pass by one.

It's the same in Taiwan!

New User

Default Re: Alcohol in Miami

Quote Originally Posted by Verm View Post
    Haha I remember you walking at the side of the road in a santa suit last year, totally wasted and you were trying to stop every passing car to see if it wasn't us hahaha
    I remember you throwing up after one beer ...
    Last edited by hiejten tijger; 12-26-2010 at 01:51 PM.

Yes, Skyy is good vodka. And inexpensive.

Most vodka is pretty much the same, believe it or not. You won't have a wide range of quality like you would in whiskeys.

Well the reason you're paying high prices in clubs is for the atmosphere. Lights, dancers, DJ's,...someone has to pay their salary. So yes in the clubs about $15-$19 per drink. Steer clear of bottle service if you're on a budget.

I hear Smirnoff is actually the best vodka, but honestly I think mixers make it hard to tell. As long as I don't drink the $9 one that I'm sure causes terrible headaches the next day!

Hi Kyo, thanks for the tip, but for a tourist in South Beach those mega membership stores will be too far away.

True Carlos, but there is a BIG difference between a cheap vodka and one that has gone through an extensive filtering process. You can really taste it, especially in a martini.

Cheap vodka can be really dry and taste like carton.
    Trust me, there's a difference.

And you really notice it when you wake up after finishing one of those bottles,
    but that's different for pretty much everyone

Miami is weird about the different vodkas. In UK, vodka is vodka. I'm with Carlos on this one too, it doesn't matter.
    I love cocktails but I will make my own with friends before I go out nowadays. Walgreens sell blueberry acai vodka for $20... perfect to pre game on a night out

New User

Hi Kyo, thanks for the tip, but for a tourist in South Beach those mega membership stores will be too far away.

True Carlos, but there is a BIG difference between a cheap vodka and one that has gone through an extensive filtering process. You can really taste it, especially in a martini.
    I remember reading Dooce once when she wrote "I like the idea of drinking something that I can dip my bloody stump into to disinfect it if I ever drunkenly manage to chop something off". While I have started drinking drinks for less hilarious reasons I still can't stand the taste of a Martini.

When I lived in Europe, Smirnoff was considered the best.

At the time (back in the 90s), Smirnoff was considered just average in the U.S. Absolut was considered the best.

In Europe, they thought Absolut was average.

To me, Absolut IS average, but costs more for some reason unknown.

For me, the pound for pound and dollar for dollar vodka that is my go-to right now is Svedka. A 750ml bottle is the same price as smirnoff ($12 to $14, sometimes varies, can be a dollar or two more or cheaper depending on where you are) and I like it better than Smirnoff but that could be just because I had Smirnoff so much and got kind of tired of it, and I find the bottle for Svedka more attractive.

If I feel like spending a little more I'll do Ketel One, which I find to be extremely smooth.

Stoli is good, so is Skyy (though I don't think it's worth the price as I find it tastes the same as Smirnoff and Svedka), and Grey Goose is also very good but I almost find it too smooth... I like my vodka to have a little bite to it. With Goose I find I drink way more than I should because it's virtually tasteless when mixed. Prefer to do that on the rocks with a lime. Also Grey Goose is pretty jacked up as far as the price goes. Still, it's probably the best tasting and smoothest I've ever had, along with Ketel one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast