Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I think it's a FANTASTIC idea!!!!

I love Beligian beer, and although we do have a few places we could get it in South Beach, there's not a lot. And I looove fries. With such a simple concept I don't think you'd need a lot of space, would only need a beer license, and could keep your costs relatively low. I'd definitely be a regular if you ever open this up.

Sounds great.
    I'd also add a soda fountain dispenser (Coke, Diet Coke, etc.) as a lot of people love fries, but don't necessarily like beer. I like both fries and beer, but sometimes I just feel like a soda with my fries. Having some non-alcohol drinks will also help bring in the parents/kids crowd, probably earlier in the day.

Glenn

Default Re: Would a Belgian beer and fries place work on South Beach?

Quote Originally Posted by GandJ View Post
    Sounds great.
    I'd also add a soda fountain dispenser (Coke, Diet Coke, etc.) as a lot of people love fries, but don't necessarily like beer. I like both fries and beer, but sometimes I just feel like a soda with my fries. Having some non-alcohol drinks will also help bring in the parents/kids crowd, probably earlier in the day.

Glenn
    Ofcourse we would also make sure there are beverages without alcohol.
    There'd just be a transparent fridge with all non-alcoholic beverages presented.
    The beer would be in a simple cooler behind the counter.

We'd also create games where people can win things (free meal, belgian chocolates, my phonenumber, ..) in order to attract customers.
    We would also be giving free samples the first few weeks..

Staying on the Belgium theme, maybe for your grand opening, you can invite the great Eddy the cannibal. The all-time greatest.

Glenn

New User

Or maybe Eddy Wally , a guy who calls himself 'The Voice Of Europe' he has a condo on South Beach btw hahah

Name:  Eddy%20wally%20foto%203.jpg
Views: 2396
Size:  13.2 KB

This idea might fly, but I'm not going to screw with the burger, fries and a coke formula.

Quote Originally Posted by hiejten tijger View Post
    Or maybe Eddy Wally , a guy who calls himself 'The Voice Of Europe' he has a condo on South Beach btw hahah

Name:  Eddy%20wally%20foto%203.jpg
Views: 2396
Size:  13.2 KB
    hahahaha f*ck yeaaaah

back on topic:

I'll check how much it would be to import the beer and patatoes by container.
    What are the costs of these things in the state of florida? (VAT, beer licence, business starting costs (in belgium around 25000$), ...)

"xoxo"

I was referring to Eddy Merckx.....greatest cyclist of all time.

Vern - The idea sounds great. I'll certainly give it a try when in Miami / South Beach

Glenn

We went to what we call a 'frituur' today , and took some pictures to give you guys an idea of what we mean.

5 minutes later :
    Why does this food not look like french fries?

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    How do you mean ? The fries do look like french fries imo. But if you're referring to the other stuff next to it , those are the sorts of meat you can combine the fries with.

Definition of Belgian Fries (BF) | The One and Only Belgian Fries website

So high time time for a (simple) definition of what makes fries Belgian Fries:

1. freshly cut, irregularly shaped
    2. cooked (fried) twice
    3. fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outside
    4. a distinct potato taste
    5. at least 10 mm thick
    6. preferably served in a paper cone

If 1 of these characteristics is absent, please do not use the term Belgian Fries, just call them fries (or French fries if you prefer).

You better get going Verm, there's already one in my town in NJ. I saw it under construction but didn't realize it was open. No beer though.. I'll go for a sample and report back!

Fresh Frites coming to Hoboken, NJ at 207 Washington Street | Hoboken411.com

You better get going Verm, there's already one in my town in NJ. I saw it under construction but didn't realize it was open. No beer though.. I'll go for a sample and report back!

Fresh Frites coming to Hoboken, NJ at 207 Washington Street | Hoboken411.com
    You do that
    The thing I had in mind was to open up some sort of "Frite Lounge" or something
    People could sit down and relax, eat their meal or just enjoy a drink in a nice environment. And in time open up a small "stand" at the beach or something, where you can get the same thing but with slightly less to choose from, just to cover more ground really.

The Frite Lounge sounds like a cool idea, and I'd definitely go there. I think you'd make a faster profit if you just did the fries from a cart at night.

First, I highly recommend you look at Zeke's for a somewhat similar idea by people who are doing it right. They are always packed and only serve a very limited menu. They keep their prices low and offer a very relaxed, yet trendy atmosphere. That "relaxed yet trendy" aspect is a huge b*tch to get right, many people have tried, many people have failed.

For another euro-concept that successfuly translated, look to Segafredo le Originale. The one on Lincoln, not any of the copycats around town. Talk about doing it right.

Remember that many concepts that work in other cities just don't fly in Miami. Games? Probably not. Miamians don't care. And the tourists aren't here long enough to get it. The main thing is, the ambience. The secondary is price and quality. People in Miami Beach just like to hang out and chat with their friends. If you give them a good place to do that, you may be successful. It might sound like a simple concept, but it is really really really hard.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it usually takes a long time for something new to catch on. You could go six months with almost zero customers, then finally, the right people discover you, and they tell two friends, and they tell two friends, and so on, and so on.

One of the big reasons for this is that, in this transient town, we, the locals, see a LOT of fly-by-night operations. So, people think, why bother checking out a new place and falling in love with it if it is just going to be gone in a few weeks? If you can hang on through the first few months, people will start to notice you and may start checking you out.

And you have to make sure your food is really, really good to have an longevity.

Oh, and I cannot stress enough the need to hire a local expert. You have to have someone who really knows the Miami scene and can keep you from making the mistakes that most people do.

I agree with everything Coach says. If you're really serious about this, you need to start a social media buzz early, so join Twitter and start following all the local foodies and bloggers and journalists and hopefully they will follow you in return.

It might even help to start a blog about your progress and your intentions on the new business.

More than anything, it's about location. I'm not sure if Zeke's would work if it was just another storefront on Washington.

There's a local blogger here called The French Fry Fairy. She may a good person to liason with to get a buzz going. She's a member here, so you may even be able to PM.

Also, I'd STRONGLY suggest fountain sodas instead of cans/bottles. Free refills with ice are a big thing with sodas in America. You can get people to sit longer and theoreticaly order more fires if they're not having to pay for individual cans or bottles of coke.

Free soda is always good, but I think having to go get your own soda from a machine, those ugly plastic cups and cheap lids...just kind of cheapen it and give it a fast food feel.

Personally, I'd love the little glass bottles of diet coke.

French Fry Fairy has never been to a Pomme Frites type place so I'm sure she'd be super excited about it and even count down the days until it opens on her blog!
    Last edited by Christy; 01-10-2011 at 12:26 PM.

New User

I would definitely be a regular patron! Beer and French fries are two of my favorite things. Have you checked out Pommes Frites in NYC? My girlfriend took me there this summer. They do an amazing job selling French fries and they are very successful. I love all the different sauces.

Add beer to that business plan and I think you have a winner.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast