Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Would a Belgian beer and fries place work on South Beach?

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    Christy how will he get it to you? Verm is coming to Miami ...

I'm not big on sweets, but I wouldn't mind trying one of these famous pralines! Are they different than American pralines?
    yeah, they actually taste good.. No just kidding :p
    I haven't had any american chocolates before, but my favorite is this one
    http://www.leonidas.com/pralines?id=DETEN∏=533&hcat=18&cat=36

there's a leonidas store in a mall in Aventura I think

I think the worst American chocolate is Russel Stover. I had some over Christmas and it was shocking just how bad it was. It's amazing that people buy them. But like I said I'm pretty happy with the Ritter Sport in dark and hazelnut and I'm addicted to the dark chocolate Kit-Kats. So good!

Well the link you posted is for Belgian chocolates no?

I love the variety of chocolates at Jacque Torres. Better than Godiva. Jacques Torres Chocolates | www.mrchocolate.com

Some of the best chocolate I've had in Miami has been from Epicure ($$$$) and the gelato place in SoFi. Not chocolates, but chocolate gelato.

Oh no no no no no. I was NOT suggesting doing it as a food truck. I was using the food truck phenomenon as an example of how people copycat something they see as successful. If Verm starts a beer & fries place and does well, he could end up with a lot of copycats to deal with.

See, chips and beer sounds like an easy business. Of course, the devil is in the quality of the incredients and the recipe. But potential copycats probably will not see that. All they see is a guy selling french fries and beer and being successful.

Sorry to confuse everybody. Do NOT do it as a food truck. I would recommend starting Lincoln Rd. You already have a ridiculous amount of foot traffic. Plus, a large European contingent. As I said, check other places on Lincoln that have made it in a small space with a limited menu.

I think doing it inside another space is a bad idea. To make this successful, you need to set your own brand and make it cool and trendy. I mean, there is no reason to go anywhere special to get fries and beer. You can get those anywhere. Sure, yours are better, but who cares. So, what you have to do is develop a cool brand. Like Segafredos did. Like Zeke's did.

For a thematic place like this, you have to have BOTH. You have to have good product AND a cool style.

Great points, Coach. I don't disagree with you at all. I was merely suggesting he could do test promotions of his product by piggy backing elsewhere until he could set up his own place.

Rents on Lincoln Road are so high though ... he better sell a lot beers and fries! There is a reason why so many chefs are doing food trucks, precisely because of the high cost of rent. And some restaurants are branching out in food trucks, because it brings them more customers.

I don't think Lincoln is a good idea since it will be a late night spot and then rent on Lincoln must be one of the highest rents in SoBe. I think Washington would be much better. The kebab place on 19th and Collins sucks, but they get tons of business from the nearby clubs.

I agree with Maria about the truck. But can the truck move locations..like be outside of Tantra on Mon, Delano on Tues?

I guess it depends on what you going for. If you are looking to do a hangout spot like Segafredo's or Zeke's, then Lincoln really is the place to be. In that case, you create a nice ambience where people just want to chill out and order your wares.

If you want to create a place where people just run by and buy something to hopefully keep them from hurling on the way home, Washington is the place. Honestly, I really cannot see this working as a post-club place.

It would be interesting to do some trial runs in other venues, but, being that this is such an easily-copied idea, it might end up shooting yourself in the foot. If you do well at your test-venue, someone else, might get the keen idea to open a Belgian Beer & Fries standalone place before you get around to doing.

I really think that there is a large enough European population here that it might work. If you have a good ambience and good food, you already have some people who know about your product, and you can build from that.

I don't think there necessarily has to be a large European population for it to work. Many Americans love beer, and almost all Americans love fries. Beer and fries will work with almost any crowd, excpet health conscious Mormons.

The things that will determine whether or not you are successful are, in my opinion:

- Capitalization / start-up costs. Undercapitalization is a top reason for business start-ups to fail. Do not underestimate how much money you need to start. Whatever you think you might need, it will probably be at least double that amount, and maybe triple.

- Location. Yup, very important, as you know.

- Quality product. Make those fries tasty! You know that, though.

- Management. Poorly managed businesses, no matter how good the product, will usually fail. Employee theft can also be a concern. You'll probably have to be an on-site, hands-on manager...at least in the earlier stages of the business.

Glenn

rk

Quote Originally Posted by GandJ View Post
    The things that will determine whether or not you are successful are, in my opinion:

- Capitalization / start-up costs. Undercapitalization is a top reason for business start-ups to fail. Do not underestimate how much money you need to start. Whatever you think you might need, it will probably be at least double that amount, and maybe triple.

- Location. Yup, very important, as you know.

- Quality product. Make those fries tasty! You know that, though.

- Management. Poorly managed businesses, no matter how good the product, will usually fail. Employee theft can also be a concern. You'll probably have to be an on-site, hands-on manager...at least in the earlier stages of the business.

Good points, and, another thing you'll need is a work visa, unless you are a US citizen/permanent resident, or you don't plan to work in your own business.

On Wednesday night after I had left the Miami Beach city commission meeting where I was documenting a group of marijuana activists trying to decriminalize marijuana, I drove by a little place on Washington between 15 and 16th streets (or maybe it was 14th and 15) that seemed to be just this type of place.

And it seemed pretty popular considering it was filled with people.

It's new because I have never seen it before.

I may stop by and do a review.

Jess, Matt? Care to join me?

I wonder if it's Vern's place, or did someone beat him to the idea?

Glenn

Carlos, you should ask the french fry fairy!

Yes, she's welcome to come as well. She doesn't live on the beach anymore. She moved up to Broward or somewhere up there.

Canada, basically, Carlos.

I'm down to go any time next week. Lemme know.

Let me know how it was. Pictures Carlos !!

Verm -

Is it your restaurant? I'd really like to give it a try next time I'm in South Beach. If it's not your place, hopefully you have good luck getting it going soon. Great idea.

Glenn

By the way, today is Belgian Independence Day. Cervezas in South Miami has specials on drafts all day!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234