Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 76
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Antwerp City, Belgium, Europe
    Posts
    42
    Likes Received
    0

    Default Would a Belgian beer and fries place work on South Beach?

    Hey guys,

    I've had an idea for the past few weeks, but first I'd like to ask you people:

    Would it work to open up a place on south beach,
    import belgian beer and potatoes so we could serve fresh belgian fries to go with a nice cold Jupiler or Duvel..

    PS: should this come through, anyone on this forum who gives good feedback would get a free beer to go with their fries.. Waddaya say

  2. #2
    Editor Carlos Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,657
    Likes Received
    172

    Default

    This might be a stupid question, but are Belgian fries basically made from Belgian potatoes? You can't make them from Idaho potatoes?

  3. #3
    Gus
    Gus is offline
    Administrator Gus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami
    Posts
    6,506
    Likes Received
    167

    Default

    I've never seen a place that just served beer and fries? Will you have anything else on the menu?

    In South Beach, the "burger and beer joint" concept seems pretty saturated.

    And you need to find a space that didn't charge too much for rent.

    I heard the old Pacific Time space on Lincoln was paying $30K a month, just for the rent, and the Tuscan Steak space on Washington and 5th Street was over $20k a month

    I'm all for helping open a new restaurant, though. =)

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Antwerp City, Belgium, Europe
    Posts
    42
    Likes Received
    0

    Default Re: Belgian beer and fries in MIA

    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller View Post
    This might be a stupid question, but are Belgian fries basically made from Belgian potatoes? You can't make them from Idaho potatoes?
    Actually a good question, Mr. Miller..
    The patatoes we have are what they call "polder" patatoes, grown on polderground which is only found in Belgium. This gives a certain taste to the vegetable, and a very high quality. Great for frying, but even top chefs tend to import those potatoes to their restaurants in different countries.
    That is also why (and I'm not being a cocky foreigner, I hate most things here but the fries are one of the exceptions) our fries are believed to be the best fries in the world.

    Jess might be able to back that up?
    One beer, coming up Carlos

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Antwerp City, Belgium, Europe
    Posts
    42
    Likes Received
    0

    Default Re: Would a Belgian beer and fries place work on South Beach?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    I've never seen a place that just served beer and fries? Will you have anything else on the menu?

    In South Beach, the "burger and beer joint" concept seems pretty saturated.

    And you need to find a space that didn't charge too much for rent.

    I heard the old Pacific Time space on Lincoln was paying $30K a month, just for the rent, and the Tuscan Steak space on Washington and 5th Street was over $20k a month

    I'm all for helping open a new restaurant, though. =)
    I'll take pictures of what I mean, because there's no such thing in the us..
    There's one belgian guy who did the same, but in NYC.
    Let's just say he doesn't have to worry about bills anymore.

    You'll understand the concept better as soon as I've uploaded a picture

    cheers

  6. #6
    Gus
    Gus is offline
    Administrator Gus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami
    Posts
    6,506
    Likes Received
    167

    Default

    Awesome. I'm a lover of beer AND fries!

  7. #7
    rk
    rk is offline
    Senior Member rk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,781
    Likes Received
    258

    Default Re: Would a Belgian beer and fries place work on South Beach?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    ...I'm all for helping open a new restaurant, though. =)
    So am I.

    You'd have start something like this on a small scale, i.e. a small storefront in one of the cheaper locations on Collins or Washington. Try to pick something close to the beach as there is a paucity of lunch places on/near the beach. High foot traffic a must. It will take a while to take off, so a rent anything close to $20k/mo will sink the venture. Keep quality high, prices reasonable and you may have a chance.

    You may want to add a couple more items than just beer and fries, but maybe that is already your plan.

    Keep in mind that there is currently a backlash against fatty foods in the US (due to alarming media stories about obesity in recent decades), so that will work against you.

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    10,353
    Likes Received
    698

    Default

    I think it would work. It is a very European idea, which is why Americans may not get it at first, but there is a HUGE Euro market here used to having chips and beer (as we call it), so if you got the money, go for it!

    Wow, I wish a Brit would open a good ol' kebab shop that everyone goes to after a night out. I could have my chips and mayo

  9. #9
    Editor Christy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,456
    Likes Received
    162

    Default

    That sounds like a great idea and I don't even drink beer!

    In NYC there's a place called Pomme Frites, it's a tiny place with a few tables and all they sell are fries. You choose the size, and then you choose a few dipping sauces. they have over 50! You're even allowed to ask to sample the sauces before you choose.

    There's a long counter and you can see guys peeling potatos, cutting them, and then frying them right in front of you. Sometimes you have to wait in a long line to get them but they're worth it!

  10. #10
    New User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium, Europe
    Posts
    19
    Likes Received
    0

    Default Re: Would a Belgian beer and fries place work on South Beach?

    Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    That sounds like a great idea and I don't even drink beer!

    In NYC there's a place called Pomme Frites, it's a tiny place with a few tables and all they sell are fries. You choose the size, and then you choose a few dipping sauces. they have over 50! You're even allowed to ask to sample the sauces before you choose.

    There's a long counter and you can see guys peeling potatos, cutting them, and then frying them right in front of you. Sometimes you have to wait in a long line to get them but they're worth it!
    That's that Belgian guy we we're talking about , but we would like to add some sorts of meat (special stuff , but we'll upload a photo later today). And of course our lovely Belgian Beer.

  11. #11
    Editor Christy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,456
    Likes Received
    162

    Default

    Oh I had no idea it was a Belgian place! Then again I usually went late night and didn't pay a lot of attention.

    Pommes Frites Inc./Menu This is the place right?

    If you're going to add food, I'd do a mini-grilled cheese with a pickle.

  12. #12
    Gus
    Gus is offline
    Administrator Gus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami
    Posts
    6,506
    Likes Received
    167

    Default Re: Would a Belgian beer and fries place work on South Beach?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I think it would work. It is a very European idea, which is why Americans may not get it at first, but there is a HUGE Euro market here used to having chips and beer (as we call it), so if you got the money, go for it!
    I think you're onto something, with focusing on the European/International market.

    Partnering with the hostels in South beach would also be a must!

    Pizza Rustica has done great by offering a limited menu.

    Zeke's Roadhouse has/had a similar concept, selling only hot dogs and international beers for $4 a bottle, but last time I walked down Lincoln, it look like Zeke's was closed - can anyone confirm this?

  13. #13
    Editor Carlos Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,657
    Likes Received
    172

    Default

    I think you would need to add sandwiches at least.

  14. #14
    Editor Christy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,456
    Likes Received
    162

    Default

    Personally, I'd do just fries. People go to this type of place for a late night snack, not lunch.

    Another great idea, sticking to the Belgian theme would be some chocolate items on the menu!!

    You could just call it Naughty Late Night Snacks.

  15. #15
    New User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium, Europe
    Posts
    19
    Likes Received
    0

    Default Re: Would a Belgian beer and fries place work on South Beach?

    Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    Personally, I'd do just fries. People go to this type of place for a late night snack, not lunch.

    Another great idea, sticking to the Belgian theme would be some chocolate items on the menu!!

    You could just call it Naughty Late Night Snacks.
    Yeah , our original idea was Belgian fries , Belgian Beer and Belgian Chocolates.

    @Christy , i think what you mean is what we call a 'kaaskroket'

  16. #16
    New User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium, Europe
    Posts
    19
    Likes Received
    0

    Default

    We went to what we call a 'frituur' today , and took some pictures to give you guys an idea of what we mean.





    5 minutes later :
    Last edited by hiejten tijger; 01-07-2011 at 04:20 PM.

  17. #17
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    10,353
    Likes Received
    698

    Default

    That first photo is chips and mayo. MY FAVORITE!!! You can take the girl out of England...

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Antwerp City, Belgium, Europe
    Posts
    42
    Likes Received
    0

    Default Re: Would a Belgian beer and fries place work on South Beach?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    That first photo is chips and mayo. MY FAVORITE!!! You can take the girl out of England...
    Hmm perhaps I can take the girl out in Miami haha

    fries weren't that good though.. had better

  19. #19
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    10,353
    Likes Received
    698

    Default

    Verm, if all I ate were chips and mayo, you wouldn't want to take me out in Miami

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Antwerp City, Belgium, Europe
    Posts
    42
    Likes Received
    0

    Default Re: Would a Belgian beer and fries place work on South Beach?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Verm, if all I ate were chips and mayo, you wouldn't want to take me out in Miami
    I like big buts and I cannot lie

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •