Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Where to take a girl for Valentine's Day?

Looking for something romantic, yet nothing crazy. Ideally the dinner for 2 would be under $100. I'm thinking a spot on Espanola way will be nice. What restaurant on that street would you recommend? Any other suggestions are welcome too

also, will reservations be booked on vday? is this something i have to start thinking about now, or can i make a reservation (if needed) a week before?
    Last edited by northeast; 01-09-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Oooh Valentines Day... A day that boys seem to dread in this country It was always fun for both guys and girls in the UK?

Anyway, down Espanola, there is Tapas and Tintos which I really love, all the dishes are for sharing and what is more romantic than that?

rk

For Italian, consider Hosteria Romano on Espanola Way. It has a lively atmosphere with music. Another place a bit more upscale is Osteria del Teatro at the corner of Washington and Espanola, a bit more subdued but still romantic and very good food.

Not sure how early you need to book. normally a day or two in advance is plenty but for Valentines Day maybe best to call the restaurant and see what they suggest.

All of the romantic places I can think of would be over $100. If you're not drinking you'd be under $100. I think any dinner can be romantic especially if you have a table in the corner, wine, and great company.

Most restaurants jack up the prices and do a prix fix menu, so I think you'd have to call around. Check the prices at Tantra and Bed. Those would be a a fun experience.

Tantra would be great as their night is Monday and Valentine's Day is a Monday this year

I would imagine even a juice bar would have some kind of Valentine's Day special in South Beach. Call ahead, for sure. Is there any reason why you want to go to Española Way? Are you flexible on location?

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Default Re: Where to take a girl for valentine's day?

Quote Originally Posted by northeast View Post
    Looking for something romantic, yet nothing crazy. Ideally the dinner for 2 would be under $100. I'm thinking a spot on Espanola way will be nice. What restaurant on that street would you recommend? Any other suggestions are welcome too

also, will reservations be booked on vday? is this something i have to start thinking about now, or can i make a reservation (if needed) a week before?
    May I make a suggestion? My husband has been a successful restauranteur for the past 35 years and in the business, both Valentine's Day and New Years Eve are called "Amateur Night" because so many people that don't go out for dinner will go out that night.

Restaurants mostly have set menus, the staff is overworked and undertipped and you aren't going to get the meal or service you would on any other night.

Since your budget is kind of low for South Beach, why not pick one restaurant you really want to try and have a nice long leisurely lunch there on Valentines Day? By doing that you get to skip the mediocre food and service.

Good luck!

FredtheCat, you took the words out of my mouth! So true! I think every couple should have Valentine's Day dinner on some night that *isn't* Valentine's Day.

How about sunset picnic on the beach or on the lawn facing Government Cut?

great advice on the celebrating on a day thats not vday.... but i dont think that would fly so well with the lady, she's big on this stuff. yea Jess, I've been asked about where we are going for valentines day about 5 times now, so I thought'd i start to look into it. Maria, i was thinking espanola because I love the atmosphere there but i'm open to anything. i'll check the places that every suggested. thx!

If you're dating you have to go out on Valentine's day, otherwise it's not the same. Who cares if the service or food is an 8 on Valentine's Day and a 10 another day?

I like the picnic idea. Girls dig that. I'f possible, I'd sneak a wine, cheeses and fruit at the Fairchild and find a place to spread.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 01-10-2011 at 08:26 PM.

Maria read my mind. I was going to suggest a sunset picnic. Screw the typical same old same old that everyone else does. I also agree with Fred the Cat. There are 3 nights a year I hate eating out because the restaurants are never up to par. N.Y.E., Valentine's, and Saint Patrick's. Great nights to get high priced mediocre food and service.

Glenn

My God ! It's only a matter of time before those Vermont Teddy Bears commercials invade the airwaves again.

The thing about the picnic is that there is a good chance of bugs crawling up your ass. This is Florida, after all.

If I'm involved with a girl during Valentine's, I cook a meal. Hell, I do that anyway, but I'll throw in some candles or something.

Carlos, I don't think bugs will be a problem. People stealing your shit on the beach, that might be an issue.

I've had plenty of picnics on the beach early or late evening, with no bug problems and the weather should be very pleasant in February. Just bring a big comfy blanket!

A thoughtfully prepared picnic basket with $100 worth of nice wine and goodies would be wonderful!

But in any case, as far as Española Way goes, yeah, there's Tapas y Tintos, Hosteria Romana and Segafredo. Tantra is great and maybe you could get away with $100 if you skip wine or only have 1 drink each and order the entrées under $30. (This is doable ... I've done it under $130)

UTS - Fairchild typically closes in the afternoon, though I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing a romantic movie night or something.

One option would be Fratteli Buffala. You could have a bottle of wine, share a salad, and have two dinners.
    I'm sure they'll do something special for Valentine's day that's affordable. The location isn't as charming as Espanola, but you can certainly have a great meal and it would work with your budget. The other cool thing is this place has locations all over the world, but Miami is the only location they have in the US.

Maria - Fairchild is having an evenng event/performance. This would be my choice. Picnic baskets permitted. This however will set a couple back $150

Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden

Oh man, UTS, I would soooo do that if I had a special love.

Northeast, if you're willing to splurge a little more, take your special lady to Fairchild!

Actually UTS, it's worth it to pay the extra $25 for non-member VIP ... that that includes reserved seating, candlelight dinner and wine for $175.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Sun View Post
    Maria - Fairchild is having an evenng event/performance. This would be my choice. Picnic baskets permitted. This however will set a couple back $150

Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
    This is just a really cool idea and I'd be thrilled to death!

Quote Originally Posted by Christy
    If you're dating you have to go out on Valentine's day, otherwise it's not the same. Who cares if the service or food is an 8 on Valentine's Day and a 10 another day?
    Unfortunately Christy it is usually closer to a four out of ten than an eight out of ten. Ask any restaurant staff and you'll never eat out again on Valentines.

Under $100 for a couple on Espanola on Valentine's Day? Wow, that's asking a lot. Even on a non-VDay, that's pretty tight. Why not stay in a few meals beforehand and up the budget a bit?

My suggestions would be A La Folie Cafe, the little French place on the west side. Or, Oh Mexico, the somewhat Mexican place. Or, the Corner Pizzeria, on the NW corner of Espanola and Washington. Those might get you out under $100, but only if you keep it down to 1 drink each.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast