Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

In Miami we are very lucky because with a little plot of land you can actually grow some of your own stuff but not enough to stock a kitchen or sustain a family. There are companies that can set up raised beds for you. When I have a house again, I'm going to do that and plant a mango and avocado tree.

Default Re: Going green and eating organic food

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    There is something to be said about being close to the source, but in an overpopulated world, how is that feasible?

The best milk I ever tasted was in Spain. When you order a café con leche there, it comes with delicious, creamy milk. Yeah, it's not low fat but man, that makes such a difference. I'd rather have one glass of that milk a day then 5 glasses of Mickey Mouse piss water milk.

And the best eggs I ever ate were taken from the hen coop at my grandfather's old house in the mountains. The best sausage was from a pig that had been recently slaughtered. The best goose barnacles had just been caught off the coast ... etc ; Even with the albarino grapes in the wine you could almost taste the earth it came from. In places like that there is a real connection to the land and food, but it's not necessarily organic. You can do this when you're in a regional area like that with farming, but for most of the world it's not going to work.

A relative of mine works in importing food from Spain to the U.S. Not produce and such but specialty items. One thing he does say -- and which accounts for why food tastes better there -- is that it's not packaged with tons of sugar or preservatives.

Maria - I agree with you. Fresher stuff is better. But, that's a separate issue from organic versus non-organic. The best corn I ever had was from Janet's cousin's garden. It was picked and boiled within minutes of picking it. It was not organic, but grown using traditional artificial fertilizers. It tasted better because it was so fresh.

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 02-14-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Default Re: Going green... eating organic...

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    Glenn, I drink a lot of skim milk and can promise you that organic skim milk is far superior tasting to non-organic.

As for fruits and veggies, I cannot tell the difference in taste.

As far as dairy is concerned, huge difference.

Instead of relying on someone elses taste test, I urge you to try it.

FredTheCat -

I can try that test, but I would probably not be a good judge, as I'm not a big milk fan. I'm not even sure what defines a good milk taste. But, what the heck....you got my curiosity up. I'll give it a taste test.

Glenn

Default Re: Going green and eating organic food

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    When I have a house again, I'm going to do that and plant a mango and avocado tree.
    I love that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by GandJ View Post
    FredTheCat -

I can try that test, but I would probably not be a good judge, as I'm not a big milk fan. I'm not even sure what defines a good milk taste. But, what the heck....you got my curiosity up. I'll give it a taste test.

Glenn
    And do it with brownies! I personally use milk to go with desserts and cereal and that's it. I happen to like Farmland Skim Plus.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    And do it with brownies! I personally use milk to go with desserts and cereal and that's it. I happen to like Farmland Skim Plus.
    Ooh! That sounds good!

We drink Horizon Organic (the leaping cow). Love their cheese also.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    Ooh! That sounds good!

We drink Horizon Organic (the leaping cow). Love their cheese also.

Uh oh, Horizon Organic was one the companies specifically mentioned in the video. It was metioned because it is a mega-corporation. They were using it as an example to de-bunk the myth that most organics support small farmers.

Anyway, I'll still do the taste test. I'll even buy Horizon Organic if that's the one that is supposed to taste good.

Glenn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12