Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Preferred Member

Default Going green and eating organic food

Is there an emphasis on going green (concerns with sustainability issues) and eating organic among people in Miami? What is the general opinion in Miami about these two issues? Are there people/groups in Miami that care about them?

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Default Re: Going green... eating organic...

I'm not sure about Miami specifically but many times local chefs will lead the sustainability issues for a city because of their desire to provide the freshest local ingredients.

Sustain | restaurant + bar

I have not eaten there so I have no idea how the food is. Also, Washington DC Restaurants | Urbanspoon should be able to point you in the right direction.

Lastly, find a yoga studio. They are a wealth of information concerning green issues.

I'm guessing everything from the farmer's market on Lincoln Rd (Sundays only) is organic. Whole Foods carries organic, as does Publix.

Escopazzo :: Organic Italian Restaurant This Italian restaurant in SoBe serves organic food. I've never been there, but I've heard good things about it. Sustain looks like a great place too!

By going green do you mean recycling, building green buildings, having zip cars? I can tell you South Beach does not have a recycling program which I found surprising, considering the amount of water bottles consumed. They have a a few recycling bins on Lincoln Rd but that's it.

Preferred Member

Thanks for the suggestions and restaurant recs. They sound like good options for eating out and cooking in. Are there any co-ops where u can join to buy organic produce in or near Coral Gables?

Yes, for going green, I meant recycling programs, green buildings, zip cars, bicycling paths, electricity saving fixtures or options in the apartments/houses (e.g. usage of solar panels, etc), programs for doing environmentally friendly stuff, etc... e.g. Is Prius a popular car in Miami? Basically, what is the mindset of people and the city with regard to green issues? Is this something that is on their radar or would people think that you are crazy or whatever when u start talking about such stuff?

Sorry, don't know why the Washington DC link popped up for Urban Spoon.

It should be | Urbanspoon

Christy, just because it is at the Farmers Market doesn't make it organic.

The majority of people in Miami aren't "green" minded but there is a large green culture here. Keep in mind Miami-Dade is a huge sprawling metropolis and what you NEVER hear about in tourist brochures is the amazing agricultural area we have toward the south known as the Redlands. Hang out with similar minded people and you will not be considered crazy.

We have several Whole Foods all over Dade County. In South Beach you also have Apple A Day organic market, plus the Gourmet Carrot restaurant. Norman Brothers in Pinecrest and South Miami also carry great produce.

There are several local farmer's markets in Dade as well. Coral Gables, South Miami, Pinecrest come to mind immediately, but there are more. I know you are looking to live near the university, so those three will be close to you.

I realize that not everything at a market or store is organic, but my point is that the mindset does exist for local, healthy eating, which is often associated with organic.

There are also great CSA programs that you can sign up for during the growing season which is roughly our "winter" around here.

Once you get here, pick up a copy of Edible South Florida in a local whole foods. It's loaded with info. Check out their website, too: Edible South Florida Magazine - Local Food Magazine of South Florida

These two blogs are great ones to follow as well:
    mango&lime – a miami food blog
    Redland Rambles

Here are some CSAs

Annie's Organic Produce Buying Club of South Florida Annies Buying Club
    CSA Brochure (the site is down right now ... don't know why)
    Teenas Pride CSA » Join TeenasPride CSA
    CSA « Welcome to the Little River Market Garden

We also have a local slow food movement:

http://www.slowfoodmiami.com/

Here are some older threads on similar topics:

Buying Local Produce
    Grocery store recommendations for a foodie?
    Organic fruit and vegetables

Christy, South Beach does have recycling for single family homes and apartments with less than 8 units. Recently, a recycling drop off center opened up in Miami Beach for larger buildings.

The First All-purpose Recycling Center on Miami Beach | Beached Miami

We do have zip cars in Miami. They are associated with the University of Miami. There are a number of new buildings in Miami that comply with LEED standards on being green. You tend to see this in newer construction.

Also, recycling is an option in most municipalities. I live in South Miami apartment building and we have recycling pick up.

Preferred Member

Thanks all for your kind replies. This gives me a much better idea of what to expect when I move there.

going green makes me think of this....

Penn & Teller Bullshit: Being Green
    MEGAVIDEO - I'm watching it

Quote Originally Posted by wpns4l View Post
    going green makes me think of this....

Penn & Teller Bullshit: Being Green
    MEGAVIDEO - I'm watching it

wpns41 -

That's an excellent video. For years, I have have known (as well my doctors) that there is no real benefit of eating "organic". In fact, it can be more harmful. More likely to have E. Coli. Takes more land to grow. Won't feed as many people. Has no more nutritional value than conventionally grown.

Organic farming is basically reverting back to 3rd world agriculture, where low food output (hence the higher prices of organic) and E. Coli are more widespread (from animal waste used as fertilizers). That huge E. Coli outbreak in spinach a few years back was all at organic producers, not suprisingly.

That video you linked does a great job showing why organic is not so great, and does it in a funny way. The real debunking starts around 8:30 into the video.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 02-14-2011 at 01:37 AM.

GandJ, if you are a milk drinker, I suggest you try organic milk. The taste is far superior.

Default Re: Going green and eating organic food

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    Christy, South Beach does have recycling for single family homes and apartments with less than 8 units. Recently, a recycling drop off center opened up in Miami Beach for larger buildings.

The First All-purpose Recycling Center on Miami Beach | Beached Miami
    Well I'd say the majority of housing in SoBe does not
    fit into that category. I have lived in a 4 unit building (briefly), and there was no sign of recycling. I just find it surprising considering Miami's such a great city and gets tons of revenue.

As for organic, I've heard to buy organic animal products so I stick to those.
    Last edited by Christy; 02-14-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Christy, if your building under 8 units wasn't recycling then maybe they were not part of city residential service and/or they chose not to have recycling:

Recycling services are provided by World Waste Services, Inc. to single family homes, buildings of (8) units or fewer provided that they are on city residential service. Residents can contact Miami Dade County 3-1-1 to order recycling cart.
    http://www.miamibeachfl.gov/publicwo....aspx?id=27300

Default Re: Going green and eating organic food

If you haven't noticed from my posts, I'm kind of a health freak.

It's not only miami that isn't so into green and organic. It's majorly business and much cheaper to produce inorganic foods with corn syrup and stuff your body doesn't need.

It is a shame that people grow up on this unhealthy food.

As far as going green in miami, here's another website that hasn't been mentioned yet: Miami Going Green Earthday Event - April 24, 2010

But this doesn't really speak for miami and how much the people are actually into going green. If i had to guess, I'm sure people dont really care or see the importance.

Agriculture is a technology just like anything else. When ancient humans discovered they could plant seeds and get food, that was technology. Fast forward a bazillion years and we have new technology which includes the "synthetic" stuff, which I always find funny because nothing is really unnatural -- everything is made from compounds found on the planet -- everything comes from atoms, protons, etc ;

I personally don't care if it's organic or not because that's just not feasible in the world we live in. Maybe if people stopped having so many babies there'd be less mouths to feed.

However, being a gardener myself, I do like to support local farmers. I love that there is an agricultural zone close to me and that I can even pick my own berries or tomatoes. Or that wine is made from locally grown fruit. That's just cool to have a more personal relationship with the place that your food comes from. I think it's important to not take for granted what you're putting in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by GandJ View Post
    wpns41 -

That's an excellent video. For years, I have have known (as well my doctors) that there is no real benefit of eating "organic". In fact, it can be more harmful. More likely to have E. Coli. Takes more land to grow. Won't feed as many people. Has no more nutritional value than conventionally grown.

Organic farming is basically reverting back to 3rd world agriculture, where low food output (hence the higher prices of organic) and E. Coli are more widespread (from animal waste used as fertilizers). That huge E. Coli outbreak in spinach a few years back was all at organic producers, not suprisingly.

That video you linked does a great job showing why organic is not so great, and does it in a funny way. The real debunking starts around 8:30 into the video.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Glenn
    Yea i love those guys and their show. I dont agree with all of them but im with them on a majority of things and i do recognize that it is one sided but its good entertainment.

Speaking of all the talk about recycling in this thread here is there episode on recycling....

Penn & Teller Bullshit: Recycling
    YouTube - Penn & Teller Bullshit - Recycling Part 1

Quote Originally Posted by wpns4l View Post
    Speaking of all the talk about recycling in this thread here is there episode on recycling....

Penn & Teller Bullshit: Recycling
    YouTube - Penn & Teller Bullshit - Recycling Part 1

wpns4l -

Yup, that's another one. A feel good thing that makes people "feel good", even though recycling uses more energy and often creates environmental problems, such as when newpapers have to be chemically "washed", etc. The exception is aluminum. It takes a lot of energy to create aluminum from raw bauxite. It's much easier to just melt down recycled aluminum. Aluminum is the one thing I will recycle. The rest is feel good BS.

By the way, here are parts 2 and 3 to the recycling video you posted.

Here's part 2
    YouTube - Penn & Teller Bullshit - Recycling Part 2.avi

and part 3
    YouTube - Penn & Teller Bullshit - Recycling Part 3

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    GandJ, if you are a milk drinker, I suggest you try organic milk. The taste is far superior.

No, I don't really drink much milk. You should do a blind taste test like in the video. (Did you happen to watch the whole video, including the taste tests?) Most people who thought that organic tastes better actually ended liking conventional in the blind tests.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by GandJ View Post
    No, I don't really drink much milk. You should do a blind taste test like in the video. (Did you happen to watch the whole video, including the taste tests?) Most people who thought that organic tastes better actually ended liking conventional in the blind tests.

Glenn
    Glenn, I drink a lot of skim milk and can promise you that organic skim milk is far superior tasting to non-organic.

As for fruits and veggies, I cannot tell the difference in taste.

As far as dairy is concerned, huge difference.

Instead of relying on someone elses taste test, I urge you to try it.

There is something to be said about being close to the source, but in an overpopulated world, how is that feasible?

The best milk I ever tasted was in Spain. When you order a café con leche there, it comes with delicious, creamy milk. Yeah, it's not low fat but man, that makes such a difference. I'd rather have one glass of that milk a day then 5 glasses of Mickey Mouse piss water milk.

And the best eggs I ever ate were taken from the hen coop at my grandfather's old house in the mountains. The best sausage was from a pig that had been recently slaughtered. The best goose barnacles had just been caught off the coast ... etc ; Even with the albarino grapes in the wine you could almost taste the earth it came from. In places like that there is a real connection to the land and food, but it's not necessarily organic. You can do this when you're in a regional area like that with farming, but for most of the world it's not going to work.

A relative of mine works in importing food from Spain to the U.S. Not produce and such but specialty items. One thing he does say -- and which accounts for why food tastes better there -- is that it's not packaged with tons of sugar or preservatives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast