Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default A La Folie: A Taste of French Bohemia in South Beach

On the eve of mon anniversaire (I stopped counting after twenty-three....), I wanted to do something special. The line at Lime was out-the-door, and Lincoln Road looked too extravagant, so I set my sights a little further south in the heart of Bohemian South Beach: Española Way.

A La Folie (516 Española Way, Miami Beach, FL 33139) is probably the most Bohemian style restaurant you'll find on the whole strip. Tapas Y Tintos is nice, as is Mojitos, which borders on trendy, but there's something about this unassuming little French bistro that manages to transport you to the old world faster than the rest of the cafes combined.

We started with the cheese plate -- which at $12.50 was pricey, but plentiful -- and the escargot -- served in its traditional garlic butter sauce, followed by a croque monsieur (ham and melted cheese sandwich) and a chicken club, both served with a mixed green salad. The killer, naturally, was the two bottles of Côtes du Rhône, which, at $27 per bottle, was still a bargain for these parts.

By the time we finished, the damage was $114 -- probably a bit more than your average bill due to the two bottles of wine.

The food was sumptuous; the ambience was straight out of some obscure Left Bank Bistro (in fact, everyone in the restaurant, customers included, was speaking French...). The service, while spotty, was enthusiastic when he'd finally arrive.

My only complaint was that the tip, which came pre-included, was cleverly labeled as "service" (French, for "tip") on the bill, and when the credit card slip arrived, underneath the pre-tipped amount, it said "tip" -- not "additional tip" -- just "tip" -- which might mislead some xenophobic, English-only American to overlook the fact that this amount had already been pre-included.

I scrawled in the word "additional" over "tip" and left a few bucks extra, staggering home amidst the humidity and the bougainvillea.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Preferred Member

Oh, j'adore a La Folie !!! Je manque beacoup a La Folie !!

Doug, next time in there are two things you have to do: 1-Play backgamon (they will provide you with a board), 2-Order the crepes and the french onion soup, they are to die for.

(Sight) I need to get back to SoBe soon.

Muffin

Will do, bien sur!!